What's new

CRITERION: What about DVD's of these laser releases... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Still MIA on DVD from your laser catalog (and I only mention foeign titles as I know major studios are not keen on licensing for DVD):

THE 49TH PARALLEL
IN WHICH WE SERVE
FORBIDDEN GAMES
GATE OF HELL
FIRES ON THE PLAIN
UGETSU

Any chance of DVD release?

Donald W

Stunt Coordinator
yeah I second this list....I just hope that sooner or latter more companys will get off there asses and let Criterion redo some of the films that they had in there laser line...I'd love to get a hold of Trainspoting, Evita, and Bram Stokers Dracula...all of which came out as Criterion lasers years ago with some nice SE stuff, but on DVD all they are are bare bones....no extras or anything....I'd love to see Criterion get the go ahead and get these SE back out on DVD

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I hope Criterion will be able to release a top-class DVD version of Seven. The New Line SE was ruined by a soundtrack that was a pale shadow of the original laserdisc, and was also distinctly inferior even to their first DVD release, which was a flipper. I guess that's what happens when you include no less than four commentary tracks on the disc - something has to give. Criterion could hopefully give us their equivalent of a "superbit" release, concentrating on maximising the video and audio quality of the film.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Get the region 1 Se7en. It looks like a great set. (you may have the original issue, rather than the 2-disc SE released by New Line)

Criterion doesn't release anything from Columbia or New Line at the moment.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Patrick, it's New Line's R1 2-disc set that I was complaining about. It might appear to be a great set from the contents, but the soundtrack is so weak that it completely ruins the experience for me. I have the laserdisc (the Image release, not the Criterion one), and that really rocks. And the audio on the first New Line DVD release (the flipper) wasn't too bad. But that 2-disc SE release was really disappointing. I wasn't too thrilled with the interventionist approach to the video transfer either - I preferred the original look on the first DVD version. If only that one hadn't been a flipper...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Dick, nice list - I'd buy 'em all! You listening, Criterion? :)

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Bruce - (or anyone for that matter) can you tell me if the commentaries on the New Line release are the same as the Criterion Laser? As a completeist I would be interested to know if anything was lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks