Criterion: Traffic, The Horse's Mouth, General Idi Amin Dada

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas Bailey, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere else:
    Criterion's "Coming Soon" page now lists not only the much-anticipated Traffic disc, but also Barbet Schroeder's General Idi Amin Dada and Ronald Neame's The Horse's Mouth.
    I never found the last-mentioned film on laserdisc, so I'm very eager to get the DVD. Good news all around.

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I'm glad they put that back up. Was getting nervous.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I hope this means Schroeder's More and La Vallee will follow, either as Criterion or HVE titles. HVE released both of these in widescreen on video last year.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I can't wait for The Horse's Mouth. I think I'm gonna be very happy with that and the other Alec Guinness titles Anchor Bay is releasing. [​IMG]

5. Carol Razavi

Carol Razavi Stunt Coordinator

You know... I was waiting for a special edition but I never in a million years thought that Criterion was going to get the rights to Traffic. This was my favorite film of 2000. Probably the best new (for me anyways) of the year. Hopefully this arrangement with USA Films will give Criterion the opportunity to put out The Game and a few others. Big Lebowski would be an excellent film for Criterion to put out too. Can't wait to see the General Idi documentary. Sounds very interesting. I'll also be first in line for The Horse's Mouth! Criterion has to be the greatest company out there. Period. Well FOX too [​IMG] Hope the Bottle Rocket and Royal Tenenbaums rumors are true too!

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I noticed that The Horse's Mouth & General Idi Amin Dada are both priced at Criterion's lower price point - $29.95. Excellent move for two lesser-known films. At that price (with appropriate pre-order discount) I'll definitely pick up the Idi Amin doc - sounds fascinating.

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm also anxiously awaiting Traffic, and it's great to see it back up on the coming soon page.

Carol,

I think a Criterion Big Lebowski would be the greatest present anyone could ever give me! Not to mention Bottle Rocket and The Royal Tenebaums...we can always hope.

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

In my most recent batch of 'review DVDs' (wedged in between Clockstoppers and some Mary-Kate and Ashley movie) was...what's this? Do I see the words "Criterion Collection" on one? The Horse's Mouth?? Alec Guinness?? An English Comedy from the director of The Poseidon Adventure???
    I was more than a little intrigued, so I waited for a quiet night to spin the disc.
    I just got done watching it, and I really liked it. A lot! I'm about to go get started on a review, but I wanted to do a quick thread search to see if anyone else liked this flick. (Not surprisingly, I see Mr.Gon's name up there...) [​IMG]
    Not that they need even more praise, but a hearty pat on the back to the folks at Criterion for offering older and somewhat more 'obscure' movies for a modern audience. I consider myself rather well versed in movies, and I'd never even heard of this one before! Few things thrill a devoted movie fan like discovering hidden treasure. Great flick!
    ...Oh yeah: Clockstoppers sucked and I couldn't bring myself to watch the Olsen twins 'movie' yet. Pray for me.

9. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Scott, glad you liked The Horses's Mouth! I hadn't seen it in years prior to picking up the Criterion edition and I'd forgotten how terrific Alec Guinness was.

Ah, just two more days until that Guinness box set from Anchor Bay streets...