What's new

Criterion TRAFFIC: 2-disc SE (5/28) (1 Viewer)

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
Second, the subtitles are presented the way they were on U.S. film prints (not optional)
thank god, i couldn't stand all the ringing on the corners of the subtitles in the old release.
can anyone give me a link to some screenshots of the menus, box-art, etc.? i've been looking around and haven't found any. :frowning:

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I went ahead and took your advice and ordered online. It was shipped yesterday, so I should definitely get it on or before street date.

I'm really pumped about this disc!!

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Just a brief note to Canadian customers, who get a lovely delayed June 4th release: the cover art has been slightly modified with two Alliance Atlantis logos on the bottom (since they are distributing the disc up here), but the discs remain the same. And since Alliance is backing it, it's at a lower price point.

Jason

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
BTW: Deep Discount DVD has this one on pre-order for $26.57, which is the cheapest I've seen it (cheaper than Best Buy or Circuit City will have it).
I just bought Criterion: Traffic at Media Play (midnight Harry Potter special hours) for $24.99... Pretty good price for a Media Play/ Sam Goody/ Suncoast, whose prices are usually very close to retail. I think its on special all week. They had only 6-7, get them while they're hot... Cheers, -JD

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads-up Jason, I didn't even know Alliance Atlantis was distributing this. I'd rather wait an extra week than pay $60 Cdn for the Criterion import.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Whoops, also forgot to add about the back cover: I'm sure Alliance has modified that as well with their usual specifications bar, which although not a terrible thing, I would prefer they just provide the original US Criterion art and simply put an Alliance distributor sticker on it (like they did when they distributed Chasing Amy).

Jason (again)

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

Are there two Alliance Atlantis logos on the front cover?

Edit: Or more importantly, is there an Alliance Atlantis logo on the spine?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I just purchased a copy of CC Traffic from PlayCentric for $22.88 *shipped* via 1st Class Airmail. If you go to their site via the link on Pricegrabber.com after searching for this title you'll get a coupon code for the free shipping upgrade and $1.00 off the disc. This has got to be the best price I've ever found on a new Criterion. I know Playcentric has had a checkered customer service history, but for a deal like this I can wait if it comes to that. :D Reminds me of the good old salad days of DVD coupons...

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Let's see if this works, linking from CNL. The Canadian Cover:
240004114.jpg

If you can't see this let me know and I'll upload it on my own server.
Jason

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
It works, thanks.

That's not too bad, I can live with that... The question is if they've decided to ruin the spine with a big ugly Alliance icon...

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
What is it with Alliance? Can't they simply distribute titles with the Spanish track replaced by the French track for Canadians and leave everything else alone??

They can do whatever they want with covers, but when they start adjusting content (see the absolutely barebones Canadian edition of Memento to prove my point) it gets very annoying.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I had a chance to look at this disc last night (mostly the special features on disc 2) and I have to say that I’m mighty impressed. I know there has been a lot of talk on the HTF about the difference between regular, studio-produced special editions vs. Criterion editions. I’ve been a loyal Criterion-head for years. I do think that studios are putting out great SE’s (fight club, toy story, etc.) but with Criterion, I’m almost ALWAYS blown away by the supplements. They are truly first rate without an ounce of fluff, and always beautifully designed and thought out. When I open a Criterion-sealed disc, I’m giddy with anticipation. Sure, the Traffic dvd has some deleted scenes that may not be totally necessary to the understanding of the film (there is one 20 second "deleted scene" where Benicio Del Toro literally walks up some steps into a house) but the completeness of this set is astounding. The multi-angle features are excellent and actually add to the experience, they're not just there as a gimmick. Cheers to Criterion, keep it up!!

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I just spent my lunch hour going through the "Demonstrations" section on the second disc. Anyone with even a mild interest in the filmmaking process is going to amazed. The time and care that's devoted to the "less glamorous" aspects of filmmaking (i.e. dialog editing, color timing, etc.) is astounding. Way to go, Criterion!
Link Removed

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The movie did not turn out too shabby, either. Granted, I've been a little spoiled by seeing some of the high-definition version on Showtime, but DVD version holds up video-wise. I also got about 30-minutes into the first commentary track (with Soderbergh) and found it interesting--so far a good mix of anecdotal and technical information.

One tidbit: the sound mix was designed to be mono except for the music.

- Steve

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Steve,

I actually love the sound mix on Traffic. For some reason it fits so well with the content.

I don't own many Criterion discs, but the ones I do own are great as far as the content goes. Traffic's extras are very well done. I haven't watched all of them yet, but I will. I really love Soderbergh's style of direction and his Oscar for this film was very well deserved. I am really looking forward to hearing the Commentaries on this set.

-Dean-

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The supplements have been very good so far. The Avid video editing displays were especially interesting, as were the sound editing demonstrations. Oh, and the "gag" deleted scene was hilarious.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks