What's new

Criterion to start new cult label (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I hope they do have the banner at the top of the covers as well as spine numbers. I need another thing to start collecting. ;)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Haven't seen THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE, but both CORRIDORS OF BLOOD and (especially) THE HAUNTED STRANGLER are indeed very good latter-day Karloff films, very much in the Hammer tradition, I say. I believe one of those films (can't remember which one offhand) has only been available in a truncated version for decades. I hope all footage is restored for Criterion's releases, and it would also be nice to see them under their original titles, THE DOCTOR OF SEVEN DIALS and GRIP OF THE STRANGLER.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I think you're talking about CORRIDORS OF BLOOD, and Tom Weaver (who did the commentary with Richard Gordon) has confirmed on another forum that the film WILL have extra footage, though perhaps as a "bonus" rather than incorporated back into the film. It doesn't amount to more than several seconds, but it will be there.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
If it's really true that Criterion is sitting on a load of cult B-movies, then this is a smart move on their part...and it would be even smarter if they'd re-release THE BLOB (1958) in its current SE but at a lower price tag on their new label. Since I'm already familiar with the film, I haven't yet brought myself to purchase it at the rate it's currently going for (not even when Deep Discount DVD had their 20% off Sale)! I did purchase FIEND WITHOUT A FACE (1958) and CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962) blindly, though:).

Anyway, I'd love to finally get my hands on decent SE DVDs of CORRIDORS OF BLOOD (1958) and GRIP OF THE STRANGLER (1958) but I'm not too sure about the other, lesser Richard Gordon films that are being mentioned. While I'd welcome the possiblility of a Box Set, I hope one can be able to purchase them individually. I'm not inclined to purchase every single Criterion (or any other label for that matter) title just to support them in the hope that they might eventually release an elusive holy grail down the road; I'll only buy what interests me and not because of who is putting it out or why.

I agree with Ted's notion that founding a sister label for their B-movie catalog would enable Criterion to get to work sooner on SANSHO THE BAILIFF (1954) and AU HASARD, BALTHAZAR (1966) - two of the greatest films ever made, in my opinion - but I guess they can keep Jacques Rivette's 13-hour folly, OUT 1: NOLI ME TANGERE (1971; which I have on VHS) in their vaults and work on something more worthwhile:)! For the present, though, I'm just ecstatic that they'll finally be releasing Luis Bunuel's delightfully subversive THE PHANTOM OF LIBERTY (1974) - one of my favorite films - next May.

The problem is that I love both the celebrated Arthouse films and the lesser known Cult movies so, eventually, this move on Criterion's part will only serve to bankrupt me even more. Anyhow, I really hope that Criterion won't besmirch their reputation by releasing more Jess Franco films onto DVD; there already are enough of them dedicated to this unenviable task and I'd rather have Criterion spend their time, efforts and money more wisely on something more rewarding:).

Scott Ruhl

Agent
IMO they'll hafta' best Mondo Macabro in quality, selection, price, etc. Even in distribution, I see more Blue Underground, Synapse and Mondo in B&M stores than I do Criterions save for the few mainstream pictures they release like Chasing Amy. If they could get more product in places like Best Buy and Circuit City they'd prolly sell more, and cheaper too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks