Criterion to start new cult label

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ted Todorov, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

DVD Savant says:
    This is good news I think, as it may increase Criterions output -- and they are sitting on the rights of a lot of great films, cult and otherwise.

Ted

2. Jerry O

Jerry O Extra

Sounds good but hopefully they won't have Criterion's high prices. [​IMG]

3. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

More Criterion is never a bad thing. Looking forward to seeing what they put out.

4. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

All the info about this can be found over on the message boards at monsterkid.com, including the titles (which include CORRIDORS OF BLOOD with Karloff and Lee and THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE, to name two) and who's doing the commentary.

5. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    THE HAUNTED STRANGER w/Karloff is another title.

I really hope Criterion doesn't charge $40 for these smaller, not-so-good titles. If they keep the prices down then I'll gladly support the line and buy each and every title. Both the Karloff films are decent but nothing great so there's no way I'd pay $40 for them.

6. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    Could they release the first official American release of Battle Royale in R1?

7. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I'll have to disagree with you there, Michael. I think both Karloff films, CORRIDORS OF BLOOD (which will contain a little bit of new footage) and THE HAUNTED STRANGLER are quite good. At least as good, if not better, than similar cult titles previously on Criterion discs, like: FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN, BLOOD FOR DRACULA, THE BLOB, FIEND WITHOUT A FACE....

Price-wise, I feel $40 is high no matter WHAT the movie is for a single title. But if I have to spring for the Karloff's, I will. I'll make up some of the difference by selling off the Image releases. [​IMG]

8. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

what are the "Gordon" films the quote is refering to?

9. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Wow. This is good news. Perhaps there was some backlash caused from films like Fiend Without a Face and Carnival of Souls getting Criterion releases? Whatever the case may be, I'm glad they're not going to stop working with these types of films altogether. I'll still pay the high prices if the quality is what we've come to expect from Criterion (I'm betting they'll be a little lower though). It'll be great to see some more of these horror cult classics treated properly on DVD.

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Isn't Criterion already a cult label?

I mean, they've put out films like Salo, Flesh for Frankenstein, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, Slacker, etc. How much more cult can you get?

11. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Jack,
    Could they mean Herschell Gordon Lewis?

12. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Hmm. How about Richard or Alex Gordon (producers, I believe). Combined, their credits include: The She-Creature, The Atomic Submarine, Corridors of Blood, The Day the World Ended, Devil Doll, Fiend Without a Face & Tower of Evil. Alex wrote the 'legendary' scripts for Ed Wood's Bride of the Monster and Jailbait.

Edit: I'm inclined to think it's Richard though, since he produced Fiend Without a Face and did a commentary with Tom Weaver on it for Criterion. Plus, Corridors of Blood (also Richard Gordon-produced) is being talked about as one of the launch titles for this new project.

13. RyanZ

RyanZ Stunt Coordinator

I'd love to see a Criterion edition of "Beat the Devil" (1954). Even though it is widely available and in public domain, it deserves a decent transfer and some extras - both not available on the current $3.99 editions at your supermarket.

14. jason:g

jason:g Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, Criterion Collection is already a cult label.
    They must really want to confuse the customer by creating another as yet unknown label.
    Perhaps they mean the category of films that have been released by Blue Underground, Synapse Films, Cult Epics (Tinto Brass), etc.

15. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'll be keeping my eye on this development. I'm real interested in really nice versions of those Karloff titles.

16. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

Criterion is already a cult.

And if you want more cult try their sister label www.homevision.com

17. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

What was the situation with Salo? I know it was only available for a few months and then went out of print. Was the Criterion version the only legal R1 version released?

18. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I respectfully disagree and see this as an opportunity for Criterion to perhaps create better marketing opportunities for some obscure films.

Currently, the Criterion Collection is to many consumers a swamp of titles that is difficult to interpret. For the uninitiated, the only thing in common is the Criterion name. Spine numbers may entice serious must-have-it-all collectors, but are little help for those who want to pick up the films of a particular director or genre. Aside from a few themes collections such as boxed sets of their Hitchcock releases, the different aspects of various Criterion releases are difficult to understand. As the number of titles keeps growing, the problem keeps getting worse, until Criterion becomes a mainstream cult film (!) distributor of sorts, if you get my idea.

A new label would allow them to market certain releases comparable to what Fox is doing with its Film Noir line or what MGM is doing with its "Midnite Movies" line etc. without compromising the mainstream (!) Criterion Collection line.

19. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

I think of Criterion as a "classics" label – I don't think of Ozu, Hitchcock and Bergman, for example, as "cult" directors – so a "cult" label from Criterion would be a good way of giving quirky, offbeat titles a respectable release without muddying the Criterion profile (as titles like The Blob and Flesh for Frankenstein have done IMO).

20. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Do Blue Underground, Synapse, Elite, Image, Anchor Bay, etc. etc. really need the additional competition for material?

Do we really need another Blue Underground, Synapse, Elite, Image, Anchor Bay, etc. etc.?