Criterion to release The Game on April 25

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Robertson, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

From davidfincher.net:
    http://www.davidfincher.net/news/news_010502_1.htm

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

WAAAAAAAHOOOOOO!!!

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

This is the release news I've been waiting for. YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I knew Fincher and Criterion would come through. I'll bet this disc becomes a new benchmark for SE quality, solidifying Fincher's already rock solid status as the most outstanding supporter of the DVD format! Brilliant news.
    (I've got a big grin on my face right now..... when can we preorder? [​IMG])

5. Lewis_W

Lewis_W Agent

6. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

"And as always, the transfer will be in anamorphic widescreen"

What like the recent Mona Lisa & Withnail & I, Criterions repution as far anamorphic is concerned is no better than anyone else.

I have Japanese NTSC Mona Lisa which sports great anamorphic transfer so it's no the 'quality of the film elements' every shody studio's favourite excuse, also I timeshifted to my DVD recorder Withnail & I from FILM4 (UK digital satellite channel) which again sported great anamorphic transfer so no excuse for either Criterion or Anchor Bay who release this in the UK.

I love Fincher's Fight Club & even Alien 3, but though The Game was terribly dull, still just my opinion, I'm sure this disk will be great, just pointing out that this is far from always the case with Criterion.

7. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Why is the reported release date April 25? That's a Thursday.

I hope this comes through though.

8. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :) :) :)

I knew if I waited long enough!!!

Now, if Alien 3 gets a restoration!!! ;-)

9. Jon Robertson

JohnJB - Well, it's the fault of neither Criterion nor Anchor Bay that Mona Lisa, Withnail and I and every HandMade production they've released (with the exception of Life of Brian, which they had a high-def transfer done for in 1997 for their original laserdisc) on DVD has had a non-anamorphic transfer.

HandMade Films simply refused to supply the elements for them to do another a new high-definition transfer to downconvert to anamorphic NTSC (or PAL, for Anchor Bay UK), so they had to revert to their (very good) laserdisc masters. Life of Brian was created when they started to use high-def for the first time, so an anamorphic transfer could be easily made from the laserdisc master (and was).

So don't blame Criterion - the licensors refused to supply the necessary interpositives, afraid of the strain the elements would be put under.

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Won't this be Criterion's first DTS disc?

11. Jon Robertson

No - The Rock and Gimme Shelter both have DTS 5.1 surround options (and very good they are too).

Spartacus was supposed to (and was announced as such), but that was pulled when the video quality suffered.

12. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    It appears as if the DVD will have more extras than the laserdisc did. I'm usually not one for extras, but in the cases of my favorite movies, I am. I loved this film and I'm very anxious to own the DVD.

13. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I can't wait either! Wahoo!

Now if we could get that official annoncement...

And since Criterion is probably porting over the extras that were on the L.D, as well as apparently adding a few more, this doesn't seem too early to me.

I can't wait.

14. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    I sure hope this is true

The Game is the ONLY Fincher film I liked, though I bought the other two disc DVD sets simply for the depth of extras, for a film I really like such a set will be heaven!

15. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

16. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but April 25th, 2002 is not a Tuesday; so that date doesn't seem too likely. Believe me, I take no pleasure in that observation as I'm a big Fincher fan, and this will be a great addition to the other Fincher SEs on DVD.
    Hopefully it is just a typo on the day of the month ( and not the month or year. [​IMG] )
    - Walter.
    EDIT: Doh! I ( obviously ) missed Jussi's post on the Thursday release date, which seems unlikely. Need to start reading these threads a little more closely. :b

17. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] YYYYAAAAHOOOOO!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

yay... that made my day [​IMG] [​IMG]
    mmm... The Game 2-Disc DTS DVD

18. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    SWEET !!!
    Great news! One of my favorites (see my sig!!!)

19. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

Awsome news & it better be true!!........now if Criterion is cool with USA Films,maybe theres a chance they could rescue Cherry Falls from the depths of the censorship pit & release it uncut since USA obviously isn't anytime soon?

20. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

Jon Robertson

I dont wish to question the source of your information, but assuming it's right, why can Amuse Video (Japan) & Film4 put out/broadcast perfectly acceptable anamorphic version's of said films along with The Long Good Friday another bootleg quality release (at least on my 56" w/screen TV) from Criterion.