What's new

Criterion to release The Game on April 25 (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
From davidfincher.net:
http://www.davidfincher.net/news/news_010502_1.htm
The moment is finally here, when all of you Fincher fans that have been bombarding me with e-mails asking when a SE edition of The Game will be released on DVD (you know who you are) can rest easy. I have just received information from a source at Criterion that a new Criterion Collection DVD of Fincher's 3rd film will be released on April 25, 2002. This date seems a little early, but we can still hope.
The release will of course be a 2 disc set boasting interviews, trailers, never before seen footage, a psychology test, an isolated score with commentary by Howard Shore, director's commentary, plus much more. We can also expect to hear a DTS soundtrack in addition to the obligatory Dolby Digital track. And as always, the transfer will be in anamorphic widescreen.
If this DVD is half as good as the Criterion Collection laserdisc, it should leave all of you rabid fans quite satisfied.
It seems, with In The Mood for Love and The Game, Criterion is forming an excellent bond with USA Films.
Perhaps this is the reason The Idiots and The Celebration were pulled from the schedule - could Criterion be doing some Dogme 95?

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
This is the release news I've been waiting for. YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I knew Fincher and Criterion would come through. I'll bet this disc becomes a new benchmark for SE quality, solidifying Fincher's already rock solid status as the most outstanding supporter of the DVD format! Brilliant news.
(I've got a big grin on my face right now..... when can we preorder? :D)

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
"And as always, the transfer will be in anamorphic widescreen"

What like the recent Mona Lisa & Withnail & I, Criterions repution as far anamorphic is concerned is no better than anyone else.

I have Japanese NTSC Mona Lisa which sports great anamorphic transfer so it's no the 'quality of the film elements' every shody studio's favourite excuse, also I timeshifted to my DVD recorder Withnail & I from FILM4 (UK digital satellite channel) which again sported great anamorphic transfer so no excuse for either Criterion or Anchor Bay who release this in the UK.

I love Fincher's Fight Club & even Alien 3, but though The Game was terribly dull, still just my opinion, I'm sure this disk will be great, just pointing out that this is far from always the case with Criterion.

DannyS

Second Unit
YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :) :) :)

I knew if I waited long enough!!!

Now, if Alien 3 gets a restoration!!! ;-)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
JohnJB - Well, it's the fault of neither Criterion nor Anchor Bay that Mona Lisa, Withnail and I and every HandMade production they've released (with the exception of Life of Brian, which they had a high-def transfer done for in 1997 for their original laserdisc) on DVD has had a non-anamorphic transfer.

HandMade Films simply refused to supply the elements for them to do another a new high-definition transfer to downconvert to anamorphic NTSC (or PAL, for Anchor Bay UK), so they had to revert to their (very good) laserdisc masters. Life of Brian was created when they started to use high-def for the first time, so an anamorphic transfer could be easily made from the laserdisc master (and was).

So don't blame Criterion - the licensors refused to supply the necessary interpositives, afraid of the strain the elements would be put under.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
No - The Rock and Gimme Shelter both have DTS 5.1 surround options (and very good they are too).

Spartacus was supposed to (and was announced as such), but that was pulled when the video quality suffered.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
It appears as if the DVD will have more extras than the laserdisc did. I'm usually not one for extras, but in the cases of my favorite movies, I am. I loved this film and I'm very anxious to own the DVD.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I can't wait either! Wahoo!

Now if we could get that official annoncement...

And since Criterion is probably porting over the extras that were on the L.D, as well as apparently adding a few more, this doesn't seem too early to me.

I can't wait.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I sure hope this is true

The Game is the ONLY Fincher film I liked, though I bought the other two disc DVD sets simply for the depth of extras, for a film I really like such a set will be heaven!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
So don't blame Criterion - the licensors refused to supply the necessary interpositives, afraid of the strain the elements would be put under.
Of course I blame Criterion. If they can't get the necessary material to provide an anamorphic transfer, then don't release the product.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but April 25th, 2002 is not a Tuesday; so that date doesn't seem too likely. Believe me, I take no pleasure in that observation as I'm a big Fincher fan, and this will be a great addition to the other Fincher SEs on DVD.
Hopefully it is just a typo on the day of the month ( and not the month or year. :) )
- Walter.
EDIT: Doh! I ( obviously ) missed Jussi's post on the Thursday release date, which seems unlikely. Need to start reading these threads a little more closely. :b

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
:star: :star: :D YYYYAAAAHOOOOO!!! :D :star: :star:

yay... that made my day :) :)
mmm... The Game 2-Disc DTS DVD

C

Christina_V

Awsome news & it better be true!!........now if Criterion is cool with USA Films,maybe theres a chance they could rescue Cherry Falls from the depths of the censorship pit & release it uncut since USA obviously isn't anytime soon?

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
Jon Robertson

I dont wish to question the source of your information, but assuming it's right, why can Amuse Video (Japan) & Film4 put out/broadcast perfectly acceptable anamorphic version's of said films along with The Long Good Friday another bootleg quality release (at least on my 56" w/screen TV) from Criterion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks