What's new

Criterion to release Edward Yang's "YI YI" (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"Yi Yi" from Criterion

Great news for fans of the film, particularly those of you who missed out on Starmax's release from about 5 years ago (the only worthwhile NTSC transfer). Fox Lorber's DVD is one of the worst transfer atrocities ever, ranking down there with their "RAN" release. But once again Criterion rides to the rescue!

The only good thing about FL's disc was the Yang commentary. Criterion's doing a new one!

I wish I knew how to post the cover (perhaps someone can help out), but once again: perfection. It's a shot of Yang-Yang from the rear, focusing on the back of his neck, a perspective that of course is crucial to his photography obsession and the themes of the film. Very beautiful colors, too (the red drapes and pink balloons from Yang-Yang's uncle's wedding celebration that opens the film).

Needless to say, I'm thrilled! :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
This could be their release of the year. I never did pick up the Starmax disc.

Now if only they could release Brighter Summer Day as well.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I certainly hope this bodes well for more Edward Yang from Criterion... and I agree, Brook, "A Brighter Summer Day" would be my next pick, too!

And Yang gives good commentary. Even the "just let it roll" recording he did for the Fox Lorber disc was very interesting.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Great news! I've been waiting all this time, hoping Criterion would release it. One of my favorite movies of the past several years.

~T

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Very cool...I just saw this for the first time a week or so ago (the aforementioned FL transfer). I can imagine how much more brillant the new transfer will look.

It's a pretty great film. I wasn't sure where it was going in the first 30-40 minutes, but then I quickly realized that was the point. As mentioned, it's a year in the life of this family with lots of surprises, mundane moments and just stuff happening.

The site also shows that Koko: A Talking Gorilla will also be released by Criterion in July. I've never seen it, but it looks like an interesting documentary - light on special features though at this point.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I always wanted to see this, but couldn't bring myself to pick up the Fox Lorber disaster. Kudos to Criterion for rescuing another film from FL hell!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.