What's new

Criterion to Release Company Original Cast Recording Documentary 50th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Hasn't officially been announced by Criterion but Pennebaker Hegedus Films posted it was coming on their Facebook page in the next few months.
Pennebaker Hegedus Films
April 26 at 4:57 PM ·
Congratulations to those who 50 years ago starred in the original production of Company and all those who made it through the grueling 18 hour cast album recording session. We are happy to announce that The Criterion Collection will be releasing the Blu-ray of 'Company: Original Cast Recording' within the next few months. Can't wait to sort through all the possible extras they will put on it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Image may contain: 2 people
Image may contain: 1 person, standing, kitchen and indoor
Image may contain: 1 person
Image may contain: 2 people, people sitting, closeup and indoor

Last edited:

Taylor * D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Sondheim and Criterion? I'm in. This is a fascinating peak behind the Broadway curtain. I guess if there was anything of his that could be added to the collection it would have to be this. Film adaptations of his musicals haven't been the best :P

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
This is great news. This is a fascinating glimpse behind the scenes of how they made cast albums in the "classic era".

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One of the great "behind-the-scenes" documentaries. I'll eagerly look forward to its receiving the Criterion treatment.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Does the documentary ever mention Larry Kert replacing Dean Jones after such a short time on Broadway?*

*I ask after I spent Cinco de Mayo watching all four Herbie movies since the last one was in Mexico and the penultimate one (the last with Dean Jones outside the short-lived 1982 CBS-TV show) was in France, which Mexico beat in war on May 5, 1862.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Does the documentary ever mention Larry Kert replacing Dean Jones after such a short time on Broadway?*

*I ask after I spent Cinco de Mayo watching all four Herbie movies since the last one was in Mexico and the penultimate one (the last with Dean Jones outside the short-lived 1982 CBS-TV show) was in France, which Mexico beat in war on May 5, 1862.
No because he wasn't present at the Company recording session at the Columbia Recording Studio. The documentary is solely about the recording of that album, and Kert wasn't a part of it. A couple of years later when Larry Kert headlined the London company of Company, he went into the studio and laid down Bobby's vocal tracks to the original music tracks with Dean Jones' vocals taken out and Larry's then laid over them. However, with a decent sound system, you can still hear echoes of Jones' vocals in the reverb.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
No because he wasn't present at the Company recording session at the Columbia Recording Studio. The documentary is solely about the recording of that album, and Kert wasn't a part of it. A couple of years later when Larry Kert headlined the London company of Company, he went into the studio and laid down Bobby's vocal tracks to the original music tracks with Dean Jones' vocals taken out and Larry's then laid over them. However, with a decent sound system, you can still hear echoes of Jones' vocals in the reverb.
If I ever locate my CD of that London recording I'll have to listen to it very attentively to hear those echoes.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I saw Company twice. In San Francisco with the original cast and George Chakiris (West Side Story) playing Bobby and again many years later in a one night performance with the original cast and by original I mean Dean Jones, who said he did it for closure (the original production was done at a very difficult time in Jones's life).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw Company twice. In San Francisco with the original cast and George Chakiris (West Side Story) playing Bobby and again many years later in a one night performance with the original cast and by original I mean Dean Jones, who said he did it for closure (the original production was done at a very difficult time in Jones's life).
Thou lucky! And I don't mean for June.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I was also fortunate to see the concert version with Dean Jones and the original cast at the Vivian Beaumont theater in Lincoln Center. Prior to NY it was done in Los Angeles. Shame that it wasn't recorded. However here is some rehearsal footage from the concert.

And some audience recording of the concert. Musical numbers.

Last edited:

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
It's an extraordinary piece. You can almost literally feel the sweat and exhaustion as Stritch labors into the wee hours trying to get it right.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've had the DVD of this for so long I can't remember. I own a couple different versions of Company on disc. This is a show I love and I will take the plunge on this as soon as its up for pre-order.

Say what you will about the cast, but for me it was a treat to see the recording studios, production techniques and the genius of Thomas Z. Shepard.

One of my favorite spoofs of this involved Chris Elliot on the old Letterman show.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've wanted this for years, but haven't been able to find the disc because it is out of print. Thank you, Criterion, for making this available again. I will get it for sure.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The latest email I received from Criterion indicated that this is now streaming on the Criterion Channel, but has no information about the timetable for the disc release. As I don't currently subscribe to the Criterion Channel, but know I will buy the disc when available, I'll wait.

Because their September slate was just announced and did not include it, the earliest possible date would probably be October at this point.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Doesn't appear to be streaming on Criterion's Canadian feed..... :(

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Thank you so much for letting us know its on the Criterion Channel. I watched it as soon as i read your post. In addition they have a commentary recorded in 2001 which I haven't listened to yet and a discussion with the people who did a parody of the Company documentary on Documentary Now ! Original Cast Album "Co-Op" . Appears to be what will be eventually be on the blu ray.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Since 2020 is the actual 50th anniversary of Company, it would be nice if the Blu-ray does arrive this year. What was intended to be the 50th anniversary Broadway revival is now in a holding pattern and will end up happening, hopefully, next year whenever the virus is over and Broadway can return.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.