What's new

Criterion to re release Charade in April (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Disney (of all companies) has been pretty good about offering upgrade discounts on their movies.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Apparently so. You won't be seeing them tomorrow, but it's possible we'll see them at some point. I think there is more demand for Andrei Rublev, so we'll probably see it first.

Jough

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you can find most (if not all) $39.95 MSRP Criterions for $25.97 at DVD Planet (shipped) - So $15 off of that is $10.97. Certainly worth the upgrade for that price.

I just hope they don't make us cut out the UPC code from our current disc or otherwise mutilate the booklet or packaging to get the discount.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I assumed you had to go through Criterion for purchase, but if it's treated like a rebate....

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
While DVD Planet has the best prices on Criterions, they are no longer a reliable company, and I certainly wouldn't recommend ordering from them. Click here http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=147021 for more info. Laser's Edge has higher prices than DVD Planet for them, but better than Amazon, etc. Obviously they don't show up much at most brick & mortars, and when they do they're expensive, but the occasional 15%-20% off coupons can make them reasonably priced at Borders.

Jough

Stunt Coordinator
Huh. I've never had a single problem with DVD Planet. I've had problems with DDD, Amazon, etc. I order most of my Criterions there.

Of course, I've only had to deal with Customer Service once (for a return) but had no problem.

Well, in any case, Criterions are only a few dollars more at DeepDiscountDVD, and sometimes Buy.com or DVD Empire will have a sale.

And does Criterion even sell DVDs direct? I would think they'd have to have some kind of rebate or coupon or something, probably by having you mutilate the old case and send them the UPC or something.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well Jough, I didn't have any problem with them either, for many, many years, going back to buying laser discs when they were Ken Crane's. But as you can see from the thread I linked above, after they outsourced their warehousing around last June, many, many people started having major problems, and getting through to them on the phone became next to impossible. If you haven't had any problems with them yet, thank your lucky stars, but I won't be surprised to see your name added to the list of unhappy ex-customers in that thread one of these days. :)

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
DVD Planet works well as long as long as nothing particular happens. Just place your order and that's it.

But if something irregular does happen which you need to address customer service about, it's very likely that you have a problem. Since last June or so DVD Planet's customer service has been bad or non-existent.

Jough

Stunt Coordinator
I hope you're wrong - as I've just placed a big order with them. But I've read the other thread's horror stories - dear god I hope I don't have to deal with their customer service! :O

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I just ordered 3 Criterions this past week (Richard III, Pickup on South St., Tunes of Glory) from Digitaleyes.net. I avoided the lowest-priced DVDPlanet.com due to all the recent negative feedback I've read here and elsewhere. But I ended up getting the same price at DigitalEyes since I got Free Shipping and used a $5 off $50 coupon code (FEB2004 - good till 3/15).

Amazon is usually way too high priced for Criterions, although I did order the new Charade from them with a Share the Love discount. I sold my old copy for about $22 recently.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I was VERY impressed to hear that Criterion would offer its new and improved Charade DVD at a discount to those of us who bought their prior, but not as good, DVD release of the movie.

Imagine my surprise when I learned today that their discount is a farce. Their "discounted" price is more than the price listed by the regular internet retailers such as Amazon.com etc. While Criterion is offering the DVD for $29.95 including shipping, Amazon and other internet retailers are offering the DVD for $27.97 including shipping.

Thanks for nothing Criterion. You totally dropped the ball on this one.

Dom

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, big woop..

They must think we're stupid.

Good gesture though.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Good gesture, bad implementation. Anyone can order this, not just previous owners. But no one will, because it's available elsewhere cheaper.

They should do what Disney does - include a coupon for a $10-$15 rebate, payable upon sending in PoP from the previous release.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
This is what I figured it would be, a discount off the full MSRP. That would be great except only fools or those too rich to care would buy at that price. What a useless gesture. I'm glad I sold my old copy and ordered the new one on my own.

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
only company i've had a problem with criterions is digital eyes. I ordered robocop and silence of the lambs from dvd planet and digital eyes respectivly. shortly afterword sotl went oop(maybe robocop too) and there was a mad ordering rush. I got an e-mail from digital eyes stating that it was oop but they had been assured by their supplier they could fill my order. i waited a month and they never sent it to me and never even gave notice they werent going to fulfill the order. the dvd planet dvd came in about a week. sorry for that rant.of course this was dvd planet back then. DDD when I ordered the hitch boxset this dec also fulfilled my order so they have a good record with me.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
[pet peeve rant]
God I wish these websites would find people who like a film to do the review. There must be someone on that site who reviews films who has the good taste to like Charade. The vast majority of people who will read that review are ones who've already seen the film, and love it. How irritating to have to listen to someone who doesn't like the film do the review. :angry:
[/end pet peeve rant]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks