Criterion to re-do Beauty and the Beast DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rain, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Rain

Rain Producer

After screening a newly restored 35mm print of this French classic the other night, I emailed Jon Mulvany to ask if Criterion would be revisiting the DVD with a new transfer from the restored elements.
    The answer came back "YES."
    He told me this has already been announced on Criterion's website, but I don't see it there. Either way, he said it was fine to pass this info along.
    The new transfer will also feature the original French opening title sequence (which I can tell you is quite different from the English version).
    Look for the theatrical re-release at a cool cinema near you any time. Look for the new DVD in early 2003.
    For those of you who haven't seen the film, I highly recommend it. [​IMG]

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Agh! Another upgrade... [​IMG]

3. Corey * C

Corey * C Extra

I saw an announcement of a theatrical re-release on Criterion's site, but I missed any info on a DVD re-release. Thanks alot!

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Wonderful, it's a title I just keep meaning to get but I can hold out just a little longer in the wait for the new version.

Dan

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The next question (which applies to any of the titles Criterion may revisit) is whether they will create a new spine number for it or not...

6. Rain

Rain Producer

I don't know the answer to that one, Jeff, but my guess would be that they would just number it 5a or 5.1 or something like that.

Jon Mulvany also mentioned that production has ceased on the current version, so if anyone wants one for posterity I guess now would be the time to grab it.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Another "rare OOP" Criterion for ebay....do I hear $400? [​IMG]

8. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

I was planning to upgrade my R2 BFI version, when I read about the Criterion going temporarily out of print over here (when that site was still updated [​IMG] ). I'm glad I waited.
    And while the BFI version has excellent supplements, it is lacking in image quality.
    Rain: can you please describe the English title sequence? And was that on the original Criterion relase, instead of the French chalkboard
    opening?

9. Rain

Rain Producer

Mark,

The English title sequence is pretty plain. It looks like most any other title sequence from the period, just plain text on a fairly plain background. The "message" from Cocteau is also translated into English. And, yes, that is what appears on the current Criterion DVD.

As you obviously know of the uniqueness of the original French titles, I'm sure you can agree that the original is definitely preferred.

10. Gerry A

Gerry A Agent

Is Criterion known for revisiting their titles? Or is this the first time? Can this pave the way for them visiting their other titles?

11. Rain

Rain Producer

I think this is the first time for a DVD, unless you count the repressings of Rififi (repressed due to problems) or Seven Samurai (repressed to remove the "Restoration Demonstration" due to rights issues).
    I'm pretty sure this is the first time for a brand new transfer.

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

There has been talk of some of their other titles being revisited, especially the nonanamorphic widescreen stuff, but nothing concrete until now.

13. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Beauty and the Beast has been OOP for some time, and they regularly sell for $75-150 on ebay. I actually saw one at Barnes and Noble, but when I went back to buy it, it was gone.

14. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

This has been talked about a long time, and the Criterion website posted info about the theatrical re-release some time ago, which led everybody to believe (correctly) that a DVD re-release was to follow. Mulvaney had also confirmed it earlier.

As for the spine number, I too would like to have a letter added to the original number, but I think I read somewhere that Criterion was going to give the re-release a completely new number.

15. Mr. Brian

Mr. Brian Stunt Coordinator

I wish they would include as a seperate audio track the opera Philip Glass composed based on this film. It's one of his best pieces.

Brian

16. andrew markworthy

I normally resist re-issues (the marginal utility is less than the benefit from buying a different title), but this is one case where I'll buy the new Criterion. Beauty and the Beast is one of my all-time favourites.

17. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

18. Carol Razavi

Carol Razavi Stunt Coordinator

yep...it's a brand new spine #. I emailed Jon about this, sorry I don't have the letter(it was awhile ago). Though, the fact that it's a new spine # is a little dissapointing, especially because of the fact that now it seems Criterion will have the same movie in two places of there collection. I just don't really like that idea...I always thought that it should just be a re-issue with a new cover and the new transfer, etc. He also mentioned that the new 400 Blows will also be a new Spine #. oh well.... can't always have everything your way, and I know that Criterion sure as hell does almost everything the way I like it! [​IMG]

19. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I heard that the new Philip Glass score was going to be included several months ago as an alternate track, just like Dracula.

20. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Stunt Coordinator

While I already own the Criterion disc, I will happily upgrade my version of this classic for a restored new print containing the French opening sequence. Having owned the British vhs release which contained the French opening sequence, I couldn't understand why Criterion would opt for using the very plain and boring credit sequence that they chose. Even more amusing is the commentary track where the film critic says something about the original French title sequence being long gone or extremely rare or some such thing. All they had to do was look to England or France and they would have had it. This did seem to be a bit of sloppy work on Criterion's otherwise impressive record.

Johnny B.