What's new

Criterion "The Leopard": Release date? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I believe this was to be released in May, but I am unable to get it at my usual places in Canada, though the other May titles (Stray Dog, Tin Drum) are pre-orderable. Just wondering what's up, Criterions are pricey here unless pre-ordered ASAP, that's why I ask this... Thanks. Criterion's site doesn't seem to show release dates, as far as I can see.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered it from Amazon and they say May 25th, same date that they have Stray Dog listed.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
OK, thanks...I hadn't checked amazon.com just .ca and .uk the ones I usually buy from, and they didn't list it yet (but had the others).

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Just a thought: It doesn't happen often, but sometimes Criterion's license is restricted to US distribution only.
I find it peculiar that amazon.ca lists the other four Criterion DVDs being released in May, and even all of the June releases.

EDIT: I did find it up for sale at one Canadian-based etailer:
C&L Internet Club

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
But that would just restrict Criterion from directly supplying it to Canadian stores; these stores can still get it through other channels, and sell it as an import title, as Amazon.ca routinely does.

I usually pre-order my Criterions at Amazon.ca. Another good and cheap Criterion site for non US buyers is CD WOW (the link gives you a GBP 1.50 discount). That's where I usually buy already released Criterions, I don't know how fast they are with sending pre-orders. They usually put pre-orders up pretty late, and none of the May releases are up for ordering yet....

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Shit, that CD-WOW link worked more than once for me! I ordered Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie: 2-Disc Criterion for £16.49 and then I used the link AGAIN and ordered The Last Wave for £13.49.

May I also recommend that you select to be charged in US dollars, as I actually ended up being chaged £15.96 and £13.05 (£1.00 = $1.83 exchange rate as of midday today), respectively. Not a big saving, but all it took was 1-second, 1-click change.

Thank you, Mark! Much obliged. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Yes, they tend to use "profitable" exchange rates. And yes, the link works every time.

BTW: I was going to buy Once Upon A Time In The West as a present for GBP 6.49, but I ended up ordering the Criterion version of Spartacus for GBP 13.49 when I saw the (mis?)price. Don't know whether that was smart or stupid though... ;)

Still, I keep using Amazon.ca mostly for Criterion orders, as I like the fast and (in Holland) customs friendly DHL shipping (for the price of expedited shipping).

I know of another link, but that only gives you a one pound discount. Maybe helpful when/if the current deal somehow expires:

http://www.cd-wow.com/promotion.php?...27-70423-39833

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I see that some of our esteemed HTFers have also found the same discountlink.

I will be seeing Spartacus as well very shortly

:D

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks for all the info. The cheapest places for me to get Criterions, taxes and shipping included, is amazon.ca and DeepDiscountDVD. DDDVD is almost always good, amazon.ca is only good for pre-orders. Shipping to here + exchange rate makes UK orders worthwhile only for "special" stuff, US$ is a better value for me compared to GBP or Euro.

I happened to get Spartacus "cheap" last year at what I also thought might have been a pricing error. I have noticed that "somebody" has unearthed a cache of "OOP" Criterions and is selling them at typical Canadian prices (i.e. expensive). I recall this happening last year too, cleaning out the warehouse I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks