Criterion "The Killer" Bootleg/Legit DVD Comparison Site?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chas_Michael, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Criterion "The Killer" Bootleg/Legit DVD Comparison Site?

I recall viewing a website dedicated to the comparison of the Criterion "The Killer" Legit/Boot DVD? I couldn't find anything in the archives. Anyone have the website address?
    Appreciate it.

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  3. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Thanks Glenn, but I'm referring to the site that helps you identify the BOOTLEG version, so one doesn't get ripped off by purchasing a boot.

4. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

It's all about the white inner ring on the DVD. If that's there it's an official Criterion. To my knowledge, no bootleggers can create that on the actual disc. Trust me, I have the Criterion and am trying to sell it. People are very hesitant.

5. Bryan_Sth

Bryan_Sth Agent

What percentage of the discs actually have the white ring? I have many early Criterion discs bought from retail and none have the ring.

6. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

I believe the older Criterions have the white inner ring. Beisdes the Killer I don't think any of mine have it.

7. MattWel

MattWel Stunt Coordinator

There are authentic Killer Criterion discs that have a mirrored center ring like the Hard Boiled Criterion does. Alot of people think that if it doesn't have a white ring then it's fake. It seems the Killer with the mirrored center ring is even more rare than the white ring version. Salo also has a white center ring.

8. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    I have a copy bought when the disc first came out. It had the white ring.

About a year ago, I found another copy in a secondhand shop for cheap, and picked it up. It doesn't have the white ring, but everything else is IDENTICAL - the disc content, the inserts, cover.

I don't believe that because a copy doesn't have the white ring its a boot. Perhaps there were two print runs, I don't know, but I'm not buying the White = Genuine, Non-White = Boot argument.

9. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

My copy, bought long before the Criterion DVD went out of print, has no white ring.

Mark

10. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

My copy has a whitish ring. Not painted/even but more like sandpaper in appearance.