What's new

Criterion SOLARIS - specs (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Due in November, Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris will come with a new 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer, Russian DD 1.0 mono audio and English subtitles. Extras include an audio essay by Tarkovsky scholars Vida Johnson and Graham Petrie, co-authors of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue; 9 deleted and alternate scenes; video interviews with lead actress Natalya Bondarchuk, cinematographer Vadim Yusov, art director Mikhail Romadin, and composer Eduard Artemyev; and a documentary excerpt with Solaris author Stanislaw Lem.

Also due Nov., Jean-Luc Godard’s Contempt is presented with a 2.35 :1 anamorphic transfer (supervised by cinematographer Raoul Coutard), French DD 2.0 stereo and subtitles. Supplements in this 2-disc set include an audio commentary by film scholar Robert Stam; The Dinosaur and the Baby (1967): a conversation between Jean-Luc Godard and Fritz Lang (61 minutes); Fritz Lang on the set of Contempt (1963), a short film by Peter Fleischmann; Two documentaries featuring Godard on the set of Contempt: Bardot et Godard and Paparazzi; a Jean-Luc Godard interview excerpt; a new video interview with cinematographer Raoul Coutard; and the original trailer.

Retail on both is $39.95.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Superb! :emoji_thumbsup:
I was just thinking this morning that Criterion was about due to announce some more titles. Solaris has been talked about for ages, but I had no idea they were even considering Contempt.
Sweet. :)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Contempt is not one of my favorite Godards but given that New Yorker owns most of his stuff and is basically sitting on it I am more than happy to have it. Rialto released it a long time ago so it's long been a "suspected" Criterion but this announcement kind of came out of left field. The Solaris specs look nice, too.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
November makes sense for the Criterion Solaris, since the Steven Soderbergh version with George Clooney is being released to theaters at the end of the month.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sound great! I'm not a big fan of Godard, but I've always wanted to see Contempt. Thanks, Criterion!

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
The Criterion SOLARIS looks pretty good, but it's a shame it lacks the (reportedly excellent) 5.1 remix of the currently available Russian disc. Some folks will probably feel the need to invest in both.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Whoa! I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the specs for Contempt ! And of course, Solaris is a welcome addition as well.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
YesYesYesYesYesYes!!!!! I've been wanting to see Contempt for ages, I'll be picking both these up in a heartbeat.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Recently when getting a couple of old Russian comedies, I've almost bought the Rusisco 2discer of Solaris, glad I waited for the Criterion! :emoji_thumbsup:

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
What is so special about Godard's Contempt ?
Can anybody tell me ?
Ofcourse I will buy it the moment it is up for pre order.
;)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The Criterion SOLARIS looks pretty good, but it's a shame it lacks the (reportedly excellent) 5.1 remix of the currently available Russian disc. Some folks will probably feel the need to invest in both.
But the Ruscico disc lacks Tarkovsky's audio mix - and those who feel the need for both, likely have had the Ruscico SOLARIS for over a year now!

FWIW, unlike each and every other Ruscico Tarkovsky disc that includes their contemptible 5.1 remixes (especially "Stalker", but "Andrei Rublev" and "Mirror" are also victims), Ruscico's remix of "Solaris" is quite interesting.

But Criterion's disc will be the definitive one. Original audio, no PAL speedup, commentaries, deleted/alternate scenes - this is the one to get if you're only getting one.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
no PAL speedup
Oh, for pities' sake! You might as well put "3:2 pulldown and lower resolution too!"

Did you know that NTSC actually slows down movies by several seconds every hour? So if we're going to be pedantic about running times, let's at least try to not be biased.

Personally, I've no preference between PAL and NTSC whatsoever - whether I buy a R1 or R2 disc is decided through price and the disc itself - but all these cheap shots at PAL are getting very tiresome indeed.

Nevertheless, Solaris and Contempt more than make up for Hopscotch! Well done Criterion!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Cheapshots at PAL? Seriously, have I offended you? :crazy:
Well, call me an NTSC-bigot if you wish, but no PAL speedup and (I'm willing to wager) a far better, much more film-like transfer is what you'll get from Criterion. Ruscico's is very "processed" looking, sorta like Warner's digital smooth-over of "Citizen Kane". Don't you agree?
(Not to mention it lacks the original audio track.)
But NTSC slows down by several seconds per hour? Well, that certainly beats PAL's speedup of 240 seconds per hour. If the question is which is more accurate, then the answer is obvious. If my preference is translated as cheap and tiresome by you... well, that's your problem!
My conscience is clean! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Can anybody tell me ?
Not me. I saw it twice, just to make sure, and I think it is one of Godard's weakest films from the 60's, IMHO ranking well bellow Band of Outsiders, Breathless, All The Boys Are Called Patrick, Vivre sa vie, Alphaville & Masculin, féminin. Contempt got alot of attention, because it was his only film from that era with a big star (Bardot), big budget and color Cinemascope photography, but it lacks the artistry and wild originality of his better films of the period.
Ted

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
For me, Contempt is not one of Goddard’s great efforts. I am not even sure that it is an important film. But it is a highly illustrative one, given that it is Jean-Luc’s one attempt (or at least the only one with which I am familiar) at mainstream, Hollywood (produced by Joseph E. Levine) cinema..

I am particularly interested, (as many writers consider that this film has aged well and is granted more respect today than 30-some years ago), to see this film again, as I’ve not seen it since its original release. I was not overly impressed back then, but I’m sure that I was expecting something more “new wave” and less Jack Palance, so I hope to be able to take a more balanced view now. And part of my hope, is that even over the years much of the movie remains with me.

Great news from Criterion on both counts.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, call me an NTSC-bigot if you wish, but no PAL speedup and (I'm willing to wager) a far better, much more film-like transfer is what you'll get from Criterion. Ruscico's is very "processed" looking, sorta like Warner's digital smooth-over of "Citizen Kane". Don't you agree?
Oh, I agree that Criterion's transfer is almost certainly going to be superior in every way (regardless of whether it's PAL or NTSC), as is the disc. Citizen Kane has no texture at all - it might as well have been shot on video, for all that's on the disc. Removal of print damage is one thing - destroying the beauty of a lustrous nitrate print is clearly another.

Have you seen Criterion's transfers of 8 1/2 and L'Avventura? There's a beautiful depth to both, with excellent contast and an almost-silvery look to the greys (and barely any print damage in sight).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks