1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion SOLARIS - specs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mirza, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Due in November, Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris will come with a new 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer, Russian DD 1.0 mono audio and English subtitles. Extras include an audio essay by Tarkovsky scholars Vida Johnson and Graham Petrie, co-authors of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue; 9 deleted and alternate scenes; video interviews with lead actress Natalya Bondarchuk, cinematographer Vadim Yusov, art director Mikhail Romadin, and composer Eduard Artemyev; and a documentary excerpt with Solaris author Stanislaw Lem.

Also due Nov., Jean-Luc Godard’s Contempt is presented with a 2.35 :1 anamorphic transfer (supervised by cinematographer Raoul Coutard), French DD 2.0 stereo and subtitles. Supplements in this 2-disc set include an audio commentary by film scholar Robert Stam; The Dinosaur and the Baby (1967): a conversation between Jean-Luc Godard and Fritz Lang (61 minutes); Fritz Lang on the set of Contempt (1963), a short film by Peter Fleischmann; Two documentaries featuring Godard on the set of Contempt: Bardot et Godard and Paparazzi; a Jean-Luc Godard interview excerpt; a new video interview with cinematographer Raoul Coutard; and the original trailer.

Retail on both is $39.95.

2. Rain

Rain Producer

Superb! [​IMG]
    I was just thinking this morning that Criterion was about due to announce some more titles. Solaris has been talked about for ages, but I had no idea they were even considering Contempt.
    Sweet. [​IMG]

3. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Contempt is not one of my favorite Godards but given that New Yorker owns most of his stuff and is basically sitting on it I am more than happy to have it. Rialto released it a long time ago so it's long been a "suspected" Criterion but this announcement kind of came out of left field. The Solaris specs look nice, too.

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I've been anticipating SOLARIS for awhile, but CONTEMPT, too?!? WOW!!! [​IMG]

5. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

November makes sense for the Criterion Solaris, since the Steven Soderbergh version with George Clooney is being released to theaters at the end of the month.

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sound great! I'm not a big fan of Godard, but I've always wanted to see Contempt. Thanks, Criterion!

7. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

The Criterion SOLARIS looks pretty good, but it's a shame it lacks the (reportedly excellent) 5.1 remix of the currently available Russian disc. Some folks will probably feel the need to invest in both.

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Whoa! I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the specs for Contempt ! And of course, Solaris is a welcome addition as well.

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

YesYesYesYesYesYes!!!!! I've been wanting to see Contempt for ages, I'll be picking both these up in a heartbeat.

10. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

Recently when getting a couple of old Russian comedies, I've almost bought the Rusisco 2discer of Solaris, glad I waited for the Criterion! [​IMG]

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

What is so special about Godard's Contempt ?
    Can anybody tell me ?
    Ofcourse I will buy it the moment it is up for pre order.
    [​IMG]

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

13. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Cheapshots at PAL? Seriously, have I offended you? [​IMG]
    Well, call me an NTSC-bigot if you wish, but no PAL speedup and (I'm willing to wager) a far better, much more film-like transfer is what you'll get from Criterion. Ruscico's is very "processed" looking, sorta like Warner's digital smooth-over of "Citizen Kane". Don't you agree?
    (Not to mention it lacks the original audio track.)
    But NTSC slows down by several seconds per hour? Well, that certainly beats PAL's speedup of 240 seconds per hour. If the question is which is more accurate, then the answer is obvious. If my preference is translated as cheap and tiresome by you... well, that's your problem!
    My conscience is clean! [​IMG]

15. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

17. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

18. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Ted / Lew
    Thanks for the comments anyway
    [​IMG]