What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (2 Viewers)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
As the voice of pessimism here, I predict a November announcement -- November of 2016.

Actually, what I really think is going to happen is that the whole thing will be cancelled at the last minute due to an unforeseen legal problem.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Joe Lugoff said:
As the voice of pessimism here, I predict a November announcement -- November of 2016.

Actually, what I really think is going to happen is that the whole thing will be cancelled at the last minute due to an unforeseen legal problem.
"Wait a minute! Are you knocking this country? Are you saying something against America?!!!"

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I wonder what we are looking at disc wise? 1 blu-ray or 2? 2 DVD's or 3? And how much would a 5 disc set cost? Criterion swears that the dual format releases won't increase the retail price. But will this be massive enough to warrant a $50 SRP?I paid more than that for the laserdisc. And the B&N sale will cut the price in half. So I am not too worried in the great scheme of things.But regardless of price, this will be a day one purchase for me.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Steve Tannehill said:
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're only a day away!
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,To the last syllable of recorded time;And all our yesterdays have lighted foolsThe way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!Life's but a walking shadow, a poor playerThat struts and frets his hour upon the stageAnd then is heard no more. It is a taleTold by an idiot, full of sound and furySignifying nothing.;)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength.
~ Corrie Ten Boom

I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
~ Grouch Marx

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Just saw on dvd Stanley Kramer's 1969 movie "The Secret of Santa Vittoria" with Anthony Quinn and Anna Magnani -- a few of the 'Mad World' people worked on this picture, notably William Rose who co-wrote the screenplay.

Plenty of 'Mad World'-like one-liners (usually with a very exaggerated Italian accent) and situations in this picture. For those waiting on Criterion, check this movie out in the meantime if you haven't seen it -- no Anthony Quinn from the late 60s onward is complete without him launching into some kind of dance routine and he is in turbo-mode throughout this movie (but he's no Dick Shawn)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
There's just a few more hours--
That's all the time we've got.
A few more hours--
Before we know wot's wot.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
JohnMor said:
Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength.
~ Corrie Ten Boom

I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
~ Grouch Marx
I like "Grouch" just as much as the next guy, but that's ridiculous. What if the "event" is something horribly tragic, like having your child murdered? Do you "choose" to be happy?

And yesterday is never dead. It's what we learn from so we don't make the same mistakes tomorrow, which, though it hasn't "arrived yet," has to be planned for.

I bet you Groucho Marx never said such a thing. How could he get the nickname Groucho with that Pollyanna attitude?

Let's stick to quoting "Mad World" around here.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just sold my old MGM Blu-Ray to Amoeba (with a slew of other stuff I traded in), so needless to say, this HAS to mean that we'll get an announcement tomorrow, right? Sadly, my gesture probably just doomed this release forever. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
ATTENTION

I am traveling today. Should be back home by the time Criterion
emails us their official press release.

I highly expect an announcement to be made later today.

Just wanted to put a placeholder thread on the forum so that I can
easily move your post-announcement discussions in this thread over
to the new one.

So, if and when the announcement is made, please share the specs
and talk about the pending release. I am going to try and migrate those
posts from here to the new thread. I should be able to figure it out.
Be patient -- I am learning this platform and am anticipating the move
of posts can be made.

You'll hear the news from the Criterion website or Facebook thread
prior to me. I'll be reading some of your comments as I land and will
post the official press release later today (if it is made, which I am expecting).

Keep your fingers crossed. It should be a big day today.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I can never remember exactly what time Criterion release their information, but I seem to remember it's when I'm abed.

Fingers crossed for that 15 disc award winning Polish experimental animation release.

And, of course, for IAMMMMW, which I know will make a lot of people very happy.

I suspect that, when it finally is announced, I'll hear the cheers on this side of the pond, so be a bunch of good chaps and try to keep the noise down.

Steve W

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Joe Lugoff said:
I like "Grouch" just as much as the next guy, but that's ridiculous. What if the "event" is something horribly tragic, like having your child murdered? Do you "choose" to be happy?

And yesterday is never dead. It's what we learn from so we don't make the same mistakes tomorrow, which, though it hasn't "arrived yet," has to be planned for.
Joe ... perhaps it's time to go out in the sunlight for a while.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
If they are going to include the General Release and some Extended Roadshow Cut, and they can't branch (which I would imagine is the case) then that means at least 2 Blu-ray Discs, and with extras 3 DVD discs.Criterion is all Dual-Format now, which means a 5 disc set.The price point for that is $50 MSRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks