What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1 Viewer)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Douglas R said:
Although the 70mm Cinerama films didn't have the same apparent illusion of depth, they made up for that by not having the distracting lines separting the three images. Overall I thought it was a big improvement over three panel Cinerama and I don't remember noticing any severe distortion at the sides as you describe.
In 3/4 frontal view, the 'round' command pod of 2001's Discovery was distinctly 'ovoid' as it moved to the outer edges of the frame...the heads of the Russian scientists grouped around Heywood Floyd were frequently 'encephaloid'...and the space station itself distorted like crazy when the camera moved through its spokes. What didn't suffer were all of Kubrick's head-on 'tunnel' shots, including Trumbull's slit-scan 'walls of colour' during the climax...their stretching at the edges merely enhancing the barrel effect in those frames.

As for IAMMMMW, this stretching at the edges was unfortunately ever present in the group shots of the cast, less so with the panoramic chase scenes, except where they moved closer to the cars...which, even for the 60s looked very wide track. ;)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Paul Rossen said:
Without knowing their plans I 'believe' that Criterion will 'probably' restore the complete roadshow version and include as extra's, scenes that did not make the premiere cut. There is probably a wealth of material available about Stanley Kramer and the filming of IAMMMMW to fill a second and/or third disc.
I agree with this. Knowing Criterion as we do, I believe it would set a precedent for them to issue their own "Criterion cut" of a film, something that would seem to go against their preservation practices. Releasing the original Roadshow presentation and allowing all the other deleted/alternate footage to be included as extras makes the most sense, even though I personally would love to see the extra stuff somehow incorporated in an extended version.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
If Criterion is reading this, my guess is that they would not be reading it in order to see a running list of what fans wish they would and wouldn't release. Maybe a separate thread for that is in order while this one stays on topic? :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If Criterion is reading this, my guess is that they would not be reading it in order to see a running list of what fans wish they would and wouldn't release. Maybe a separate thread for that is in order while this one stays on topic?
Thank you, Glen. I was just about to post the same request.

No need to steer this thread into a "I want Criterion to release..."

Let's stay on topic of IAMMMMW

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not sure how I missed this thread. I WANT IT ALL.

Best case would be a Blade Runner style 5 disc collection where you could see their best shots at a RoadShow Restoration, the 'regular' short cut, and one with everything and the kitchen sink plus a big W thrown in regardless of how well the print matches version. Honestly sometimes the best things that the 'uncut' versions show is just how wise the cuts that happen for theatrical release really are, and how it improves pacing.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Nick*Z said:
Agree with Billy Batson completely. The ping-ponging between perfection and 'less than' is jarring and unacceptable. From a purist's perspective - if I'm going to see the roadshow that only people seeing the movie during the first four days of its release saw, then I want to see it the way they did - complete and with a renewed image that approximates the original theatrical presentation. Releasing anything else is just sloppy and slipshod on the studio's part. I have no doubt Criterion will do the right thing. With very few exceptions they usually do.
I disagree. I don't mind quality shifts - if that's the best that can be done. I want the whole film warts and all.

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere, I'm not sure if it was in this forum on the IAMMMMW restoration topic or not or another forum, but Stanley Kramer's widow, Karen (Sharpe) Kramer had shown a complete version of the film ( how complete-i don't know), at a special screening in the Seattle area a few years back. I seem to remember it was a longer version than the current MGM Blu ray or the DVD that was released.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I don't think Criterion has the money to do what Robert Harris had planned, but wouldn't it be great is somehow or somewhere Criterion found either the negative trims or a 70mm print trims of the missing footage and could somewhat drop those into the master MGM material without a lot of fuss and expense. Although print material would probably be terribly faded, it would have the six-track sound attached, which the negative wouldn't....unless they found the soundtrack trims.

I just hold out hope that someone who was making those cuts on the dozen or so 70mm prints they somehow put the trims in a can that maybe got mismarked and was sitting on a shelf waiting to be rediscovered. I wonder if all the first prints were rectified or were there a few that played and shown in the normal manner.

Wasn't it reported that Karen Kramer was mistaken, although the print was longer as it had the Intermission music and police calls, which the Blu-ray does not. I think visually, it was the same 154 minute version.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
mike-- said:
I read somewhere, I'm not sure if it was in this forum on the IAMMMMW restoration topic or not or another forum, but Stanley Kramer's widow, Karen (Sharpe) Kramer had shown a complete version of the film ( how complete-i don't know), at a special screening in the Seattle area a few years back. I seem to remember it was a longer version than the current MGM Blu ray or the DVD that was released.
It was the version that has been shown everywhere in the world since four weeks into the original roadshow run - there IS no other version for her to show - it's the version Mr. Kramer was happy with - no one forced him to make the cuts he made four weeks into the run - he'd been rushed into the release and wanted to hone the film, having had the chance to see it with audiences and know where tempo had to be improved. What was shown in Seattle is what was shown everywhere after the first four weeks. I spoke to Mrs. Kramer yesterday, coincidentally. But it was before reading this thread, otherwise I would have asked her about it.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Look, the LD version was interesting, but it was not any kind of restoration, nor was it complete, or however you want to tag it. It was a hodge-podge version culled from various sources. Most of the added scenes looked like scraps that were never supposed to be in the movie in the first place. There's no reason to mine it for a blu-ray, and it wouldn't look right anyway unless they're somehow going to get all that footage, colorize it correctly, re-time it, re-edit it, and stretch the squashed shots to the proper aspect ratio. Again, it was not the Roadshow version; it was more like the Road Kill version.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Ejanss said:
Maybe if Criterion added "Million Dollar Mystery", as a bonus feature? :)

Okay, now I would go for that! But only if they added "Scavenger Hunt" and "Midnight Madness" while they're at it!

Who says IAMMMMW was never remade?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
An awfully lengthy thread considering this is all a rumor... I've always loved this film, and I hope the rumor proves out, and that some amazing bonus features are added to it. personally, I am very happy with the MGM Blu of two years ago, so it would take such supplements (road show edition, commentary, etc.) to bring me back to the table.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If this film were to be released by Criterion, not only would I love to see the film restored to its original length, but also this United Artists logo restored:
nvjt.jpg
As many times as I've seen this movie (twice in 1963 at Warner Cinerama, several times "flat" at local theaters), I do not recall this logo having been used for this film.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Dick said:
As many times as I've seen this movie (twice in 1963 at Warner Cinerama, several times "flat" at local theaters), I do not recall this logo having been used for this film.
Nor me! I don't recall any type of UA logo preceding or ending the film.

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
haineshisway said:
It was the version that has been shown everywhere in the world since four weeks into the original roadshow run - there IS no other version for her to show - it's the version Mr. Kramer was happy with - no one forced him to make the cuts he made four weeks into the run - he'd been rushed into the release and wanted to hone the film, having had the chance to see it with audiences and know where tempo had to be improved. What was shown in Seattle is what was shown everywhere after the first four weeks. I spoke to Mrs. Kramer yesterday, coincidentally. But it was before reading this thread, otherwise I would have asked her about it.
Thanks Bruce for clearing that up, I thought maybe Criterion might have been given a private print belonging to Mrs. Kramer to use for this 'rumor'! It was wishful thinking!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Douglas R said:
Nor me! I don't recall any type of UA logo preceding or ending the film.
Yeah as I said earlier that logo was pretty much dead in the United States by the mid-40s.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Coincidentally, just last night I saw that vintage UA logo on Criterion's Things to Come...which for me, was a home video first.

...at least I think so; maybe I just never noticed it before. I'm a UA/Transamerica era baby.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
haineshisway said:
Mr. Harris has posted the running time based on reality many times here on this forum and that running time includes the overture, entr'acte, police calls, and exit music. In terms of actual film removed after the first four weeks, what is it? I think the answer is something like fourteen to twenty minutes.
When Ron had an interview with Mr. Harris around 2001/2002 he said the roadshow was 195 minutes. After the first four weeks, it was cut down to 162 minutes. He had at the time of the interview 188 minutes of that footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks