What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1 Viewer)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Adam_S said:
based on the Earrings of Madame De debacle, I'm skeptical that Criterion would even notice there was anything wrong with the current My Fair Lady bluray/master/harvest, they'd probably think the source looked great!
It may have been at the point of no return. We have no idea.

We do know Criterion turned down Pathe's spotty restoration of Le Samourai.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Lord Dalek said:
I gotta say the current bout of internet West Side Story over this has given me a good laugh.
Done to the song "Tonight" from West Side Story ...

Tonight, tonight, my hopes and dreams feel right
That tomorrow will bring something new

Tonight, tonight, I wished and hoped and prayed
That tomorrow my dreams will come true

(Tony and Maria in unison)
But, today my heart has truly shattered
I know it really shouldn't matter
But mad am I as a Hatter
Who am I going to blame?

Or maybe a bit of "If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot ...

If ever I will see you, it will not be in Summer
Never on Criterion's release schedule, what a bummer
Why oh why is Mad World so out of reach?
But never in Summer on a hot day, what a beach

If ever I will see you, it won't be in Fall
Never on Criterion's release schedule, how dismal
Why, oh why is Mad World not out in Autumn?
Where, oh where, are my Tums

If ever I will see you, it never will be in Winter
More likely to get Criterion to release some Pinter
Why, oh why is Mad World not out in the cold?
Come on Criterion, I'm sitting here getting old

If ever I will see you, it never will be in Springtime
Never on Criterion's release, even in Germany
Why or why no Mad Men in Springtime?
No, no, no, Criterion, give us a break
Because a whole 'nother year we just can't take

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Bob Furmanek said:
Be patient: proper 3-D conversions take a long time...
As a matter of fact, I did suggest that to MGM/UA last year, pointing out that converting a 65mm negative would make for exceptional clarity, the huge amount of action and stunts that lend themselves to the process, the ongoing passion for the film among us older viewers, as well as the chance to expose it to new generations who haven't seen it in a theatre, if at all.

They could not have cared less.

Mike S.

(But hey, we're getting a third version of CARRIE, so that's something!)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
cadavra said:
As a matter of fact, I did suggest that to MGM/UA last year, pointing out that converting a 65mm negative would make for exceptional clarity, the huge amount of action and stunts that lend themselves to the process, the ongoing passion for the film among us older viewers, as well as the chance to expose it to new generations who haven't seen it in a theatre, if at all.They could not have cared less.Mike S.(But hey, we're getting a third version of CARRIE, so that's something!)
I have found that the powers that be at MGM/UA have no interest in their or anyone else's history and are just interested in producing product. Not even sure they care abut their films once they are released.Of course with your connections and being in the business you have realized this also.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
MGM themselves might not care, but someone a few pages back said that Fox who handles MGM's distribution wouldn't allow the first blu release unless it was fixed and cleaned up.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
darkrock17 said:
MGM themselves might not care, but someone a few pages back said that Fox who handles MGM's distribution wouldn't allow the first blu release unless it was fixed and cleaned up.
Yep that won't get the Roadshow versions of HAWAII or THE ALAMO. They have no interest And let's not forget the fiasco of WEST SIDE STORY or THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD. Fox should have told MGM no on TGSET.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
IAMMMMW's gross in today's dollars versus 1963. 82 It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World MGM $439,623,400 $46,332,858 1963How can we get this rereleased so it can beat Avatar? ;)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I wish someone would do The Alamo too. The extended roadshow version of that on Laserdisc was a revelation, greatly improving the film since it cleared up the many plot holes in the cut version we have now.
Dee Zee said:
Very interesting! I like the version currently on blu as that is the film I saw first run in a crowded theater in the summer of 1964. But Criterion is high end so I would like to see what they offer. Honestly I doubt they would take this on with the blu ray out there already.I wish Criterion would get interested in The Alamo.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Randy Korstick said:
I wish someone would do The Alamo too. The extended roadshow version of that on Laserdisc was a revelation, greatly improving the film since it cleared up the many plot holes in the cut version we have now.
They won't do it, and they won't license it out. The End, so sad.

mercyflight

Agent
Real Name
Paul Scrabo
Carl LaFong said:
Kovacs was originally signed to play Melville, but was already dead by the time shooting began.

Dick Shawn = Elvis Presley
Carl, what was your source for this info? For years, I've yet to see any evidence of this story. The Kovacs story SOUNDS good, but it's only came to light due to the internet. We need sources! :)Paul

Carl LaFong

Agent
Real Name
Mike Fontanelli
My source was (gulp!) the Internet. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in Kramer's book, so maybe it IS apocryphal at that.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Carl LaFong said:
My source was (gulp!) the Internet. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in Kramer's book. so maybe it IS apocryphal at that.
It's bogus. Kovacs died in January of 1962, long before they even began casting on the film.

Mike S.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
cadavra said:
It's bogus. Kovacs died in January of 1962, long before they even began casting on the film.

Mike S.
I think Ernie was in talks of being Melville at the time of his death.

I also remember in the documentary Something A Little Less Serious that either it was Eddie herself or someone else said that Eddie was in the crash that killed Ernie, because they said that during filming she had a black eye for a few days while shooting. Now this may or may not have to do with Ernie's death, but I do remember someone talking about Eddie's black eye and a crash though.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
darkrock17 said:

I also remember in the documentary Something A Little Less Serious that either it was Eddie herself or someone else said that Eddie was in the crash that killed Ernie, because they said that during filming she had a black eye for a few days while shooting. Now this may or may not have to do with Ernie's death, but I do remember someone talking about Eddie's black eye and a crash though.
Eddie Fisher was originally slated to be one of the airport tower operators, in a role taken over at the last moment by Jesse White. Apparently, the deal went south when he was forced to travel to Italy to spend time on the set of Cleopatra.

This had nothing to do with Ernie Kovacs or the Nairobi Trio, who were originally cast as the three firemen, but could not remember their lines.

Let's keep the facts straight.

RAH

Carl LaFong

Agent
Real Name
Mike Fontanelli
I'm currently reading T-T's autobiography TERRY-THOMAS TELLS TALES, which was published posthumously in 1991. He has some surprisingly negative and unflattering things to say about the cast of IAMMMMW, especially Jonathan Winters (he says Winters was "jealous" of him) and Jack Benny (T-T says Benny had no sense of humor!) He also as much as implies that he had an affair with Edie Adams.

If that sounds ridiculous, I can transcribe the passages verbatim -- if anyone is doubtful or interested. T-T may have been misremembering events or else in advanced stages of Parkinson's, the terrible disease that ravaged both his health and his finances. The book was written very late in his life, and may have been "enhanced" by editors after his death. In any case I'm taking it all with a grain of salt. The very suggestion that Benny lacked a sense of humor is, from all available sources, utterly absurd.

He does admit to being awed by Spencer Tracy and Buster Keaton, however. Mickey Rooney and the rest of the cast, not so much...

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
darkrock17 said:

Robert Harris said:
Eddie Fisher was originally slated to be one of the airport tower operators, in a role taken over at the last moment by Jesse White. Apparently, the deal went south when he was forced to travel to Italy to spend time on the set of Cleopatra.

This had nothing to do with Ernie Kovacs or the Nairobi Trio, who were originally cast as the three firemen, but could not remember their lines.

Let's keep the facts straight.

RAH
Edie Adams, not Eddie Adams, sorry folks I can't spell to save my life.

The Nairobi Trio would of been interesting as the firemen, but they'd be too busy beating each other in the heads with their fire extinguishers, which would of made a funny cameo. But in the end The Three Stooges did it just right.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Se
Mike Frezon said:
The Nairobi Trio would enhance any film in which they were cast.
Sergio Leone definitely would have agreed - the Nairobi Trio's early footage in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly was riveting - if only the banana boat strike of 1963 had never happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks