What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1 Viewer)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Ronald Epstein said:
Joe,

It is my hope, that once the announcement is made, many aspects of
this project will be able to be openly discussed here. At that point, I
think you'll have satisfactory answers to all your questions.

As Bruce has just mentioned, it's up to Criterion right now to first announce
the film for Blu-ray release.
I understand, but it seems you and some others here, such as Mr. Haines for instance, know something. You're like the cat that swallowed the canary. What I don't understand is why you get to know it and the rest of us don't.

Believe me, if I find out, I'm not going to run to the phone and call CNN. Let's remember that the people who care about MAD WORLD make up maybe .00000001% of the world's population.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joe Lugoff said:
I understand, but it seems you and some others here, such as Mr. Haines for instance, know something. You're like the cat that swallowed the canary. What I don't understand is why you get to know it and the rest of us don't.
That's just the way life is.

In the workplace, for example, the bosses will often know information before it gets released to the rank and file. And in about a million other examples which come to mind, there are different circles of confidentiality detailing who can know what when.

In this matter, Joe, you are on the outside looking in (along with the rest of us) and we'll find out when we find out. And there's nothing we can do about it. And it won't really change anything for the information to arrive to us on their timetable.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
ROclockCK said:
Well, we haven't seen RAH around here for the past few days. Just some dog days vacation...or could this mean something? ;)
Very astute.I'm either hanging out at the pool with my dogs, or have begun the task of re-shooting missing sequences in UP70 with the original cameras and optics, and working toward replacing doubles with digital re-creations of the original talent. Initial tests have been very promising. Mr. Brownlow arrives in LA on Tuesday to add his expertise in the re-creation of silent actors.Final result should be right around 5 1/2 hours, or a bit longer.Delivery date, no later than April 2016.A wonderful holiday to all.RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Harris said:
Very astute.I'm either hanging out at the pool with my dogs, or have begun the task of re-shooting missing sequences in UP70 with the original cameras and optics, and working toward replacing doubles with digital re-creations of the original talent. Initial tests have been very promising. Mr. Brownlow arrives in LA on Tuesday to add his expertise in the re-creation of silent actors.Final result should be right around 5 1/2 hours, or a bit longer.Delivery date, no later than April 2016.A wonderful holiday to all.RAH
You told me I had to keep my trap shut and here you are revealing EVERYTHING! Count me in but April 2016 is also the release date for the new Miley Cyrus movie, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Twerk and that's a day one purchase for me, so I'll have to pass until May of 2016.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Robert Harris said:
Hey! You forgot to mention that the release date is April FIRST, 2016!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
haineshisway said:
You told me I had to keep my trap shut and here you are revealing EVERYTHING! Count me in but April 2016 is also the release date for the new Miley Cyrus movie, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Twerk and that's a day one purchase for me, so I'll have to pass until May of 2016.
OMG! A Hanna Montana Director's Cut?!

The pups send them best.

RAH

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
ROclockCK said:
Would you rather Criterion announce prematurely with an incomplete and/or inaccurate feature set...or vague disc specs...or unrealistic release date?
I care about one thing, and one thing only: Is it going to be an attempt to recreate the original 192 minute roadshow version or not? If it isn't, letting us get our hopes like this is kind of cruel.

If you can't tell us what it IS, you can at least tell us what it ISN'T. And if it ISN'T going to be what I hope for, please tell me. You'll get the great benefit that I won't have to contribute to this thread any more. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
haineshisway said:
You told me I had to keep my trap shut and here you are revealing EVERYTHING!
Oh, so RAH told Haines, huh? That's supposed to be okay? What makes him so special? I don't like being left out of this loop!!!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The only person or entity that can speak is Criterion and until then we just speculate. Until a formal announcement is made, no one is going to speak, even ones in the know for that is how business is. I am just glad that it has been confirmed that it is coming sometime and they are working on it. There are way to many problems to worry about in this world than to let speculation on this to consume me. I would rather take Mr. Harris suggestion and sit by a pool and relax.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joe,

I am going to try alleviate your concerns somewhat.

I can't tell you exactly what this Criterion release will and will not be.

That information needs to come from Criterion.

What I can assure you of is that I believe this upcoming release
is a labor of love. There are key people involved in the project,
all of them huge fans of the movie and very knowledgeable of the
initial laserdisc release.

Everyone involved is fully aware of what the fans have been asking
for. I think every effort is being made to make this the most definitive
release possible. If there are further delays it is only to make certain
that everything could be done to truly make this a collector's dream.

I think we are pretty damn lucky that this is in the hands of Criterion
rather than a studio.

Joe, you have been on this forum for a long time. You know I have
been one of the most vocal advocates for something to be done with
MAD WORLD for more than a decade. I have more passion for what
needs to be done with this film than most --- though I think I am in equal
company here. If I am friggin' out of my mind excited about what is to
come, then so should you.

It would be highly improper to say anything more.

Please be patient.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
rmw650 said:
...the old saying goes good things come to those who wait.
Just another in the long series of old sayings that are untrue.

However, based on what Ronald Epstein said directly above, I'm still allowing my hopes to be high. :unsure:

mark brown

Supporting Actor
While we are speculating and waiting, are there any rumors regarding Criterion interest in the "other" MGM orphan, The Alamo?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Mark, I posted the very same question on this site in June under the heading "Alamo Restoration". Robet Harris posted in response that MGM has no interest in saving the film . Total shame .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks