What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1 Viewer)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Since all of us fans have the blu ray of the more established theatrical release, an as good as can be managed reconstruction of the roadshow version is something we would jump to buy and put alongside it.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
One thing I've learned following this discussion is that IAMMMMW fans are as equally fanatical as Beatles fans. Rabid fans in both camps. With that said, perhaps Criterion is planning a IAMMMMW Anthology release containing various versions of the film and all the outtakes that can be found as well as any related material from TV and film. Repro lobby cards and a poster would be great in a box set. Does a script of the film still exist? That also could be included in this new deluxe reissue.

Anyway, this discussion moved me to pull out the 2011 blu ray today and watch the first half of the film. I love this cut of the film, I've seen the long laser disc assembly, but I think the pacing is very tight and just right in this theatrical cut. The aspect ratio is correct. The colors and blacks all look fine to me in my HT. The opening titles opticals could perhaps be redone from a better source or restored; maybe some of the rear projection shots could be better color timed to match the foreground; but all in all this blu is a quality reissue.

And one last thing: "Don't call me baby." RIP Jonathan Winters. So great to have him captured on film as well as all the stars in this classic film.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
An extra I'd like to have is the episode of Jackie Gleason where he interviewed the cast. Unlikely, but...

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Jaysus, it's taken me almost a week to read this darn thread!

First, as Billy Wilder famously said, do you want it good or do you want it Tuesday? Everyone just assumed it was going to be in November. Chill out, people.

Second, it was normal for roadshows to be cut down in order to squeeze in a third show a day. BEN-HUR, SPARTACUS, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, to name four, all lost footage during their initial runs. It was so common, in fact, that when GWTW was reissued in the '60s, the ads made a point of saying, "Every Scene Intact!"

Now, UA was gonna shorten the film regardless of what Kramer felt. So if you're Stanley, do you hold your breath until you turn blue and let some hack mutilate your movie, or do you do it yourself to try and preserve the overall integrity of the film? And of course he said he approved the shorter cut. He would've been an idiot to speak out against it, and Stanley Kramer was no idiot. So just because he approved the shorter version doesn't mean he was happy about it.

Finally, there's still one living actor nobody's mentioned: Nick Georgiade, of "The Untouchables," who played the second cop at the crash site. He's well and happy, living in Las Vegas.

Mike S.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

So glad you are caught up in this thread.

I wanted to thank you for your insight, understanding and this quote:
First, as Billy Wilder famously said, do you want it good or do you want it Tuesday?
Very well put.

I believe the longer it takes Criterion to release this to Blu-ray, the better.

The last thing anyone wants is a rushed job where there was no opportunity
to do things right the first time.

This could be the last opportunity to ever get this movie out on optical disc
in a Roadshow and/or Kitchen Sink version.

Get it done right. Get every bit of material you could possibly include. There
should be no regrets after the disc is released.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Joe Lugoff said:
Yeah, well then they shouldn't have given us that clue. It's like someone who tells you they know some big secret that would make you gasp -- but they can't tell you what it is. It's just like a kid who says "I know something you don't know" and sticks out his tongue at you.
Thing is, Joe, their newsletter clues do not necessarily indicate that a certain movie is going to be released within a month or two, only that it's coming eventually. We had the clue for ON THE WATERFRONT a number of months before the Blu showed up.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dee Zee said:
One thing I've learned following this discussion is that IAMMMMW fans are as equally fanatical as Beatles fans. Rabid fans in both camps. With that said, perhaps Criterion is planning a IAMMMMW Anthology release containing various versions of the film and all the outtakes that can be found as well as any related material from TV and film. Repro lobby cards and a poster would be great in a box set. Does a script of the film still exist? That also could be included in this new deluxe reissue.

Anyway, this discussion moved me to pull out the 2011 blu ray today and watch the first half of the film. I love this cut of the film, I've seen the long laser disc assembly, but I think the pacing is very tight and just right in this theatrical cut. The aspect ratio is correct. The colors and blacks all look fine to me in my HT. The opening titles opticals could perhaps be redone from a better source or restored; maybe some of the rear projection shots could be better color timed to match the foreground; but all in all this blu is a quality reissue.

And one last thing: "Don't call me baby." RIP Jonathan Winters. So great to have him captured on film as well as all the stars in this classic film.
Nice post. I agree that the cut we now have is better. It is tighter (and with comedy, this can make all the difference) and less exhausting. I owned the extended laser disc (which does not represent any theatrical edition), and found that the timing lagged in numerous places. The argument the cast has on the desert highway about how shares should be divided was even longer than the overlong version we have now. To have both an extended theatrical cut plus the current cut via seamless branching would seem a good compromise.

I agree with you about Jonathan Winters. I grew up watching/listening to this man, and there were few as inventive or funny. I have most of his albums, and listen to them regularly. This screen performance, and that in THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING, THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING, are gems.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sumnernor said:
The above link was not found????
That link, Sumner, had nothing to do with the Gleason interview of the IAMMMMW cast. Instead, it is a link in Ethan's signature.

Note to Ethan: The link is not working. :biggrin:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
cadavra said:
Jaysus, it's taken me almost a week to read this darn thread!

First, as Billy Wilder famously said, do you want it good or do you want it Tuesday? Everyone just assumed it was going to be in November. Chill out, people.

Second, it was normal for roadshows to be cut down in order to squeeze in a third show a day. BEN-HUR, SPARTACUS, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, to name four, all lost footage during their initial runs. It was so common, in fact, that when GWTW was reissued in the '60s, the ads made a point of saying, "Every Scene Intact!"

Now, UA was gonna shorten the film regardless of what Kramer felt. So if you're Stanley, do you hold your breath until you turn blue and let some hack mutilate your movie, or do you do it yourself to try and preserve the overall integrity of the film? And of course he said he approved the shorter cut. He would've been an idiot to speak out against it, and Stanley Kramer was no idiot. So just because he approved the shorter version doesn't mean he was happy about it.

Finally, there's still one living actor nobody's mentioned: Nick Georgiade, of "The Untouchables," who played the second cop at the crash site. He's well and happy, living in Las Vegas.

Mike S.
An awful lot of suppositions on your part none of which are true, BTW. Mr. Kramer made his cuts during the four-week run of the long version - after watching the film several times with audiences. HE made the cuts - he was not forced to make the cuts - he made the cuts because he felt the film need tightening based on the audience reaction (not one audience, many). You are basically improvising scenarios and one would have to ask why? Those of us who know the family know that Mr. Kramer was happy with his final version and that's all you need to know. Whether fifty years later he'd like the original road show cut out is anyone's guess, but do not pose theories as fact because that does no one any good.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
ahollis said:
And RAH has my appreciation for knowing what to say and when. He is a gentleman.
But he doesn't seem to know anything about this alleged Criterion version.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I know Jerry Lewis had the cast on his short-lived Saturday night ABC variety show. When did Jackie Gleason? Are you sure you're not confusing Jerry with Jackie? (I saw the Jerry show and I remember Jerry pretending to be hurt he wasn't in the movie ...)

About Jonathan Winters. He was good in the movie, of course ... everyone was. But why do people always carry on so much about him? Every time someone mentions him it's to say how hilarious he was ... such a genius ... the funniest person who ever lived ... I don't get it.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I mentioned him because he recently transitioned to the Mad World in heaven. The entire cast were all ON! I love how Uncle Milty is almost always the last to leave a scene.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Joe Lugoff said:
But he doesn't seem to know anything about this alleged Criterion version.
Just because he has not said anything doesn't mean he doesn't know anything. He is a gentleman and will only speak when it's time. This I have learned and respect.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Ethan Riley said:
But...we've been watching it that way...for 50 years...
Ever since the LD came out, the short cut ceased to have any relevance for me. I've only watched the LD cut of that since then because I take the view that once a more coherent cut emerges in an official version, that supplants any previous version that is narratively inferior for my viewing purposes.

Unlike a certain other title, which I would only get if all material from its LD version were presented, this movie I am not as passionate about to the same degree to insist 100% all of the LD material *within* the film or else, though it would be my first preference and would, I feel, be fair to those who have utilized that version as their viewing choice for lo these many years to see that experience duplicated, and that way the presence of new material not present at the time of the LD release can be enjoyed and appreciated even more (the police calls are something I've read about and would love to experience within the film for the first time).

I'll keep watching and waiting to see what happens and look forward to hearing the announcement when it comes.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
haineshisway said:
An awful lot of suppositions on your part none of which are true, BTW. Mr. Kramer made his cuts during the four-week run of the long version - after watching the film several times with audiences. HE made the cuts - he was not forced to make the cuts - he made the cuts because he felt the film need tightening based on the audience reaction (not one audience, many). You are basically improvising scenarios and one would have to ask why? Those of us who know the family know that Mr. Kramer was happy with his final version and that's all you need to know. Whether fifty years later he'd like the original road show cut out is anyone's guess, but do not pose theories as fact because that does no one any good.
You're assuming I don't know the family. I do. You're assuming I wasn't around in 1963 when the reports came out that the film was being shortened. I was. You're assuming I don't know much about how the business works. I've been in it for 40 years, almost all of it in the world of library/catalog/classic films. If I speculate, I will indicate as such.

Mike S.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Mike Frezon said:
That link, Sumner, had nothing to do with the Gleason interview of the IAMMMMW cast. Instead, it is a link in Ethan's signature.

Note to Ethan: The link is not working. :biggrin:
I do not understand why post 727 was made. I did not state that the link had nothing to do with the Gleason interview of the IAMMMMW cast. All I stated was "The above link was not found???? and then you repeat basically what I did. It looks like a wasted post.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
cadavra said:
You're assuming I don't know the family. I do. You're assuming I wasn't around in 1963 when the reports came out that the film was being shortened. I was. You're assuming I don't know much about how the business works. I've been in it for 40 years, almost all of it in the world of library/catalog/classic films. If I speculate, I will indicate as such.

Mike S.
Oh, THAT Cadavra :) Normally I'd just bow to your knowledge, but I was around in 1963, too, I've been in the business for over 40 years, too, and I know the family, too and with all dure respect If neither of us is speculating, it's interesting that the stories can be different? So, I'm just curious - the family has told you specifically that Mr. Kramer was forced to shorten the film during the first four weeks of the run, specifically so the Dome could get in more showings (which they couldn't and didn't to the best of my knowledge, although I can't say I'm sure on that one, although logic would tell you that shaving twenty minutes wouldn't make an iota of difference about an extra showing a day at the Dome during that time)? Because that flies pretty much in the face of what I've heard and been told. But, stranger things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks