What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1 Viewer)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm for a Roadshow release, including the police calls during the intermission. Going to be fun to see what this is all about.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ronald Epstein said:
Perhaps Criterion could do some great stuff with "branching" that
would satisfy everyone. Not certain if this is something they regularly
do or not.
I don't know anything about the technology of doing it, but that seems like the ideal solution. It's certainly what I favored for 1776.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
One option would be to offer more than one cut of the film, perhaps using seamless branching to keep it on one disc (as Mr. Epstein suggested).

I voted for everything, though I lead toward "roadshow only" footage with the rest as supplements.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
First off, I hope they would first, correct/add several little things for a new release.

**The OVERTURE is cut too closely, actually there is a bit of overlap, to the start of the MAIN TITLE. There should be a few seconds of silence between them.

**The MGM BluRay leaves off the Entr'acte Music at the Intermission. This had to be an oversight and would like to see it corrected.

**And I really would like to hear the original police calls audio back into the intermission. This has been restored to the 70mm prints being circulated currently.

As far as the longer version, I think this would only be wise through seemless branching or by choosing what version you want in the menu.

Personally, I would want (in the film) only scenes that make story sense, and are legit Roadshow footage and NOT workprint segments or trims made even before the Roadshow version or segments that may only have sound and no picture or visa versa. Films with stills and such (LOST HORIZON 1937, A STAR IS BORN 1954) take me out of the story and MAD WORLD being a comedy, certainly would require smooth transitions. Again, my opinion and preference.

I think the MGM transfer is almost perfect...maybe a bit of tweeking on contrast. The sound is also very good, but I think it could be a bit more dynamic. I don't mean a complete new sound mix from the 6 tracks, but maybe a little boost in the surrounds for the music, and perhaps some discreet sound in the surrounds. I know surround wasn't used back then like today, but I really miss hearing the bucket tumble down the hill in the surrounds when they have that reversed POV. And I think the music dynamics can be made a bit more immersive.

It is one of my favorite films...I saw it at the right age and was frustrated how close the new Blu-Ray was, but not quite there.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
In 2002, I recorded a copy from TCM (which I assume is the laserdisc edit), then compared it to MGM's DVD when I acquired it in 2004. I posted it to IMDB, you can see it under the lengthy listing that begins with "The following is a comparison of the DVD versus the TCM print." I was in college and had a lot of free time on my hands, lol.

After comparing both versions, most of the scene extensions seem extraneous and unnecessary to me, so I usually just watch the general release. But I'll be content with whichever version gets released. I have yet to hear these legendary police calls during intermission, so I'm looking forward to those.

Actually, if any additional footage is included as supplements, I hope its presentation turns out better on this rumoured Criterion release than on MGM's DVD and Blu-Ray. Those discs provide a whole hour's worth of material, but there's no rhyme or reason to it. It's literally just one long reel of scenes, not in proper order, some of them repeating themselves, some with theatrical footage spliced in, and some of them lasting only a couple seconds.

Perhaps Criterion will be releasing a set of Kramer films in November. I certainly wouldn't mind Judgment at Nuremberg or On the Beach getting Criterion-ized.

EDIT:

Probably of no interest to anyone, but I found my original list! :lol: It was safely tucked away in the DVD, which I hadn't watched since I bought the Blu-Ray.

MadWorldList.jpg

I feel a little bit like Melville Crump.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You know, I am going to spin the laserdisc this weekend as a refresher. The last time I saw it was in the 1990's.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Last time I watched this I was showing it to a friend. I decided to show him the Blu, but it was hard to watch cause I kept missing things from the LD. After it was over I decided to show him what was cut so I put the LD in and just skipped around to the cut scenes lol. We both agreed that stuff was better in.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
I haven't seen the laserdisc, and really am excited about getting the stuff put back in. If this happens with the longer cut and interimission police calls, ect. Then I'm definately in for this. I really like the blu-ray, but give me more, more more!

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I voted for everything from the Laserdisc but would actually like everything that was listed within the poll.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Rob_Ray said:
Look! We've figured it seventeen different ways, and every time we figured it, it was no good, because no matter how we figured it, somebody don't like the way we figured it! So now, there's only one way to figure it. And that is, every man, including the old bag, for himself!
Maybe if Criterion added "Million Dollar Mystery", as a bonus feature? :)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I'm a bit surprised that Robert Harris who has reviewed all the deleted footage has yet to weigh in. This could be a good sign as I'm sure he would be 'consulted' on a new restoration effort!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
If this rumor is true it's going to be great fall this year for classic releases and re-releases. Fingers and toes crossed for the long awaited original 1963 permiere length or as close as they can get to the originial length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks