What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Written on the Wind (1956) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well there are quite a few interviews with Bacall on youtube. It was a British interviewer I believe though it wasn't Parkinson. Unless somebody else can find it I assure you it exists and that's what she said.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
In the IMDB trivia for WIND:

"Humphrey Bogart was unimpressed by the film and advised his wife Lauren Bacall not to make another like it. In a 2000 interview with Mark Cousins, Bacall called it "a masterpiece of suds," and claimed to have only made the film to work with Rock Hudson."

Screenshot_20211123-204340_Chrome.jpg

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
The full quote by Sirk is this..."“This is the dialectic - there is a very short distance between high art and trash, and trash that contains an element of craziness is by this very quality nearer to art.” If you leave out the "craziness" part, the quote misses the mark. It encapsulates Sirk at his artful best (or Ulmer or Fuller or Lynch or Godard, you name it...)
You know what movie fits Sirk's description? Nicholas Ray's JOHNNY GUITAR!

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I should have made that clearer yes. There's barely any difference between 1.85:1 and 2.00:1 other than the black bars being a smidge thicker.
I respectfully disagree. Can you still watch the movie at 1.85? Sure, but the difference between 1.85 and 2 doesn't go over my head. I find the slightly wider screen inherently more elegant which I think suits the subject in this and all of Sirk Universal melodramas beautifully.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It wasn't hard to upgrade. The old dvd was oddly framed and even had cigarette burns visible IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks