What's new

Criterion Press Release: Three Films by Luis Buñuel (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DCb7MEVHrWs8er62Ch9mVNgMnYkZB2_large.jpg

More than four decades after he took a razorblade to an eyeball and shocked the world with Un chien andalou, arch-iconoclast Luis Buñuel capped his astonishing career with three final provocations—The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Phantom of Liberty,and That Obscure Object of Desire—in which his renegade, free-associating surrealism reached its audacious, self-detonating endgame. Working with such key collaborators as screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière and his own frequent on-screen alter ego Fernando Rey, Buñuel laced his scathing attacks on religion, class pretension, and moral hypocrisy with savage violence to create a trio of subversive, brutally funny masterpieces that explore the absurd randomness of existence. Among the director’s most radical works as well as some of his greatest international triumphs, these films cemented his legacy as cinema’s most incendiary revolutionary.

FILMS IN THIS SET
PURCHASE OPTIONS
Coming soon, available Jan 5, 2021
BLU-RAY3 Discs$79.96SRP: $99.95
PREORDERADD TO WISHLIST
Three Films by Luis Buñuel

7dab23f82349cc3ba4fc7f998a2dcd2c.jpeg

1/3

ab37c6b8edca04231876458f7457fc0e.jpeg

2/3

f852cc6237ce2d1db02429dd98d2a463.jpeg

3/3

BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New high-definition digital restorations of all three films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
  • The Castaway of Providence Street, a 1971 homage to Luis Buñuel made by his longtime friends and fellow filmmakers Arturo Ripstein and Rafael Castanedo
  • Speaking of Buñuel, a documentary from 2000 on Buñuel’s life and work
  • Once Upon a Time: “The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie,” a 2011 television program about the making of the film
  • Interviews from 2000 with screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière on The Phantom of Liberty and That Obscure Object of Desire
  • Archival interviews on all three films featuring Carrière; actors Stéphane Audran, Muni, Michel Piccoli, and Fernando Rey; and other key collaborators
  • Documentary from 1985 about producer Serge Silberman, who worked with Buñuel on five of his final seven films
  • Analysis of The Phantom of Liberty from 2017 by film scholar Peter William Evans
  • Lady Doubles, a 2017 documentary featuring actors Carole Bouquet and Ángela Molina, who share the role of Conchita in That Obscure Object of Desire
  • Portrait of an Impatient Filmmaker, Luis Buñuel, a 2012 short documentary featuring director of photography Edmond Richard and assistant director Pierre Lary
  • Excerpts from Jacques de Baroncelli’s 1929 silent film La femme et le pantin, an adaptation of Pierre Louÿs’s 1898 novel of the same name, on which That Obscure Object of Desire is also based
  • Alternate English-dubbed soundtrack for That Obscure Object of Desire
  • Trailers
  • New English subtitle translations
  • PLUS: Essays by critic Adrian Martin and novelist and critic Gary Indiana, along with interviews with Buñuel by critics José de la Colina and Tomás Pérez Turrent
New design by Eric Skillman, based on the original poster art by René Ferracci

January 5, 2021

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Nice to have a new box set from the great director and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie is one of my favorite foreign films of all time. I hope Criterion will release a new set from Truffaut soon.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just noticed that today is the 30th anniversary of the passing of Delphine Seyrig (April 10th, 1932-October 15th, 1990) who appeared in The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and other memorable films.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just noticed that today is the 30th anniversary of the passing of Delphine Seyrig (April 10th, 1932-October 15th, 1990) who appeared in The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and other memorable films.
I admired Seyrig so much (ever since I spent some time with her in Marienbad), that I tried to watch her in as many films as I could. I felt privileged to catch one of her performances on stage (B'way). She was radiant!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I love Bunuel, and I am hugely disappointed that Criterion decided not to include LOS OLVIDADOS in this set. I've owned DISCREET CHARM and OBSCURE OBJECT on Blu for years, but OLVIDADOS, which Criterion put out on DVD way-y back, has never been released on Blu worldwide. What's up with that?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I love Bunuel, and I am hugely disappointed that Criterion decided not to include LOS OLVIDADOS in this set. I've owned DISCREET CHARM and OBSCURE OBJECT on Blu for years, but OLVIDADOS, which Criterion put out on DVD way-y back, has never been released on Blu worldwide. What's up with that?

Rights most likely expired.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
That is possible, but Criterion isn't exactly forthcoming with information like that.

We don't know how this company is run and how they go about choosing titles. All we know is that almost every month on the 15th that new releases are announced and that's about it.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller

I'm quite sure Criterion never released LOS OLVIDADOS on DVD.

I too would love that one, as well as EL (THIS STRANGE PASSION) and an upgrade of VIRIDIANA would be great. But they would be out of place in this set.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
They never released Los Olivados. And it REALLY wouldn't fit this box (which is a trilogy of films) anyway.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm quite sure Criterion never released LOS OLVIDADOS on DVD.

I too would love that one, as well as EL (THIS STRANGE PASSION) and an upgrade of VIRIDIANA would be great. But they would be out of place in this set.

Just did some research and, I'm quite sure you're right. Don't know why I was so sure they'd owned it. Anyway, thanks for the correction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks