1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Tree of Life (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 15, 2018.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    lS782Kjd4IaMo20L7BIfM94oY4z4js_large.

Four decades into an already legendary career, Terrence Malick realized his most rapturous vision to date, tracing a story of childhood, wonder, and grief to the outer limits of time and space. Reaching back to the dawn of creation, Malick sets a story of boyhood memories on a universal scale, charting the coming of age of an awestruck child (newcomer Hunter McCracken) in Texas in the 1950s, as he learns to navigate the extremes of nature and grace represented by his bitter, often tyrannical father (Brad Pitt) and his ethereal, nurturing mother (Jessica Chastain, in her breakout role). Shot with nimble attention to life’s most fleeting moments by Emmanuel Lubezki, the Palme d’Or–winning The Tree of Life marks the intimately personal, cosmically ambitious culmination of Malick’s singular approach to filmmaking.

FILM INFO
    • Terrence Malick
    • United States
    • 139 minutes
    • Color
    • 1.85:1
    • English
    • Spine #942
    DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:
    • New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by director Terrence Malick and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • New extended version of the film featuring an additional fifty minutes of footage
    • Exploring “The Tree of Life,” a 2011 documentary featuring collaborators and admirers of Malick’s, including filmmakers David Fincher and Christopher Nolan
    • New interviews with actor Jessica Chastain and visual-effects supervisor Dan Glass
    • Interview from 2011 with composer Alexandre Desplat about the film, and a new interview with music critic Alex Ross about Malick’s approach to music
    • Video essay from 2011 by critic Matt Zoller Seitz
    • Trailer
    • More!
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Kent Jones and a 2011 piece on the film by critic Roger Ebert

New cover by Neil Kellerhouse

August 18, 2018

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

PMF likes this.
  2. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    Great news.
    I have held off buying this in anticipation of the Criterion release.
    2 things:
    - the new 4k restoration (i'm sure they mean scan, since there isn't anything to restore), worries me a bit. Maybe they will go to the yellow and teal side to look different than the previous bluray and justify the New part.
    yeah, I know it's approved and all that, but directors change their mind all the time.
    - that cover is one of the worst I've seen for a bluray (i apologize to the artist)

3. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

THE TREE OF LIFE was finished as a 4K Digital Intermediate, so I don't see the point of them having done a "new scan".

Vincent

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don't quite see how a film that's not even ten years old needs to be restored. I wonder how much of that represents actual work done vs. Criterion's general habit of labeling everything a restoration, regardless of its age or source.

Konstantinos and Vincent_P like this.
  5. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I'm guessing it's just their standard press-release, and they fill in the blanks. Everything is "restored". Maybe they went in and did some additional dirt clean up? Either way, yeah, there's no way this was "restored". It'll be based off the same 4K DI as the original theatrical release and Blu-ray.

Vincent

6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I would really like a UHD version of this(with Dolby Atmos for future proof when I get to it).

I know Criterion isn't on board with UHD BD yet, and that is a shame. Such a great company, and all these beautiful 4K restorations they have been releasing downrezzed to 1080P while beautiful to look at would be amazing in true ultra high definition.
    Is UHD BD replication that much more expensive to release?

7. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    Why would Criterion want to get into UHD, when they can't even get all of their previous DVD releases onto Blu? They have no use, at the moment, for UHD.

8. Message #8 of 34 May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Yeah, I'd have used this one-sheet poster design, except with English text, of course.

[​IMG]

Konstantinos likes this.
  9. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

They got into Blu-ray long before they'd released all of their LD titles on DVD. This argument makes no sense.

Vincent

TonyD and Bryan^H like this.
  10. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

UHDwith standard BD included, or a limited number of UHD discs per title. Everyone wins.

I remember getting the James Bond movies that were remastered in HD on SD DVD. Later on they were released on Blu-Ray, and I saw the difference. From good to great.

4K content on so many of these fine movies Criterion is releasing deserves to be seen in 4K resolution.

Keith Cobby likes this.
  11. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    ...which they never did, as there were rights and quality issues preventing many LD titles from getting the upgrade. Same is probably true going from DVD to Blu, unfortunately.

12. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Pointless releasing this when there is an existing good blu-ray. The next time I buy this great film will be a UHD.

Bryan^H likes this.
  13. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

ShellOilJunior, Vincent_P and TravisR like this.
  14. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Is it possible that Criterion isn't allowed to release UHD physical or streaming as part of their deal with certain studios?
    Other than that I'm completely baffled as to why there aren't dedicated 4K releases for some of the films. Like I said even if it is in a limited number of copies at a higher price point, I'm sure they would sell out.

15. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    I doubt a reissue of The Tree of Life would sell many copies as fans like me already have it and want an upgrade.

What is the oldest film to be released on UHD so far?

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think the only titles from before 1990 are The Bridge On The River Kwai, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, E.T. & Blade Runner*. I may very well be forgetting one especially if it was a European-only release so don't take that list as definitive.

* I didn't list 2001 since it got delayed.

17. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    More likely they don't have the budget to do UHD at the present time. If ever.

18. Mark VH

Mark VH Second Unit

For those interested, Amazon has lowered its pre-order price for The Tree of Life to $22. If you're a Prime member, then that's less than you'd pay for it during the B&N sale in November.

19. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

According to Criterion's site, the release date has been pushed back to September 11.

TravisR likes this.
  20. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

If they have the budget to finance this extended cut they have the budget to do a UHD disc as well.