1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Story of Temple Drake (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 16, 2019.

1. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    That's a very strange reaction. First you complement me for being entertaining, then you threaten to destroy me so I can't entertain you any more. Like the woman in Katz's Deli in that Rob Reiner film said, "I'll have what she's having."

B-ROLL and Will Krupp like this.
  2. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    HaHaHaHa. Of course you know I hope you know I was kidding about that whole "destruction" thing! :P

lark144 likes this.
  3. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Instead of threatening to "destroy" me, you should be showering me with gifts, like Soupy Sales tried to do (which he also claimed later was a "joke") when he said, "Now boys and girls, go into your Mommy and Daddy's room, take out the wallet from Daddy's pants, and send whatever money is in it to me at this address."

4. Message #24 of 30 Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    I sense I'm in danger of derailing us once again (but there are SO many good stories!) but wasn't Soupy also know for the chicken and the blackboard joke? He wrote the letter F on the blackboard and some guy dressed as a chicken says, 'that's a K!" He says, nope! Writes another F and the chicken says K. This repeats two or three more time before Soupy, in mock exasperation, screams "Why is it everytime I write F, you see K??

I also remember a story about a live stripper once being hired to confront an embarrassed Soupy right out of camera range behind a door on set. I THINK that one's on video.

From Story of Temple Drake to Soupy Sales. I apologize for the momentary tangent guys (but it's all Mark's fault!)

AnthonyClarke, lark144 and ahollis like this.
  5. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    That's on film or tape somewhere. I think Dick Clark aired a barred version and I want to say there was a VHS that wasn't barred ... and she was the kind of dancer who probably never stepped up to the barre ... if you catch my drift...;)
    Of course this was on a live children's program, as well ...

Now back our regularly scheduled programming ...

Will Krupp likes this.
  6. Marc Hampton

Marc Hampton Auditioning

Marc
    It was a treat to see this restoration on the big screen at the TCM Festival. I'd definitely put it up there with Baby Face and She Had To Say Yes when it comes to disturbing, unseemly pre-codes (favorite moment: the explanation for why that baby is kept in the box...). Miriam Hopkins is so good...she really was at her sexy, neurotic best in this and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Will Krupp likes this.
  8. cadavra

cadavra Second Unit

mike schlesinger
    For the record, the joke was more on the order of "...send me those little green pieces of paper and I'LL send YOU a postcard from Rio DeJaneiro." (At the time, Brazil famously had no extradition policy with the U.S.)

BTW, the "I'll have what (s)he's having" line was ripped off from Tavernier's ROUND MIDNIGHT, which was released a year or so before WHMS was written.

Mike S.

B-ROLL, Will Krupp and lark144 like this.
  9. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Mr. Schlesinger, as a fan of your commentaries, I appreciate your eruditeness!.

10. cadavra

cadavra Second Unit

mike schlesinger
    Thank you, kind sir.