Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Prince of Tides (Blu-ray)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
6U2WKHdRmzYqcnAqo95rDMT3GJ5Q2u_large.jpg
For her acclaimed second feature as a director, Barbra Streisand crafted a sumptuous, emotionally wrenching adaptation of Pat Conroy’s best-selling novel—which she also produced and starred in. Summoned to New York after his sister attempts suicide, Tom Wingo (Nick Nolte) must serve as her memory, reckoning with the traumas of their southern childhood so that her psychiatrist, Dr. Susan Lowenstein (Streisand), can help her recover. But Tom’s sessions with Lowenstein will plunge him into the depths of his own long-repressed pain—and reawaken the possibility of love within him. Nominated for seven Academy Awards, including best picture and best actor for Nolte’s soulful performance, The Prince of Tides is a life-affirming tale of healing and renewal from a triple-threat filmmaker with a keen and humane insight into her characters’ sorrows, joys, and yearnings.

FILM INFO
  • Barbra Streisand
  • United States
  • 132 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #1022

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
    • New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Barbra Streisand, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • Audio commentary featuring Streisand, recorded in 1991 and updated in 2019
    • Making-of featurette from 1991
    • Excerpt from a 2018 interview with Streisand, conducted by filmmaker Robert Rodriguez on El Rey Network’s The Director’s Chair
    • Audition and rehearsal footage
    • Deleted scenes and alternate takes
    • Costume and makeup tests
    • Alternate end credits with vocal performance by Streisand
    • Behind-the-scenes footage
    • Gag reel
    • Production-stills gallery and other archival materials
    • Interview with author Pat Conroy from a 1992 episode of Cinema Showcase with Jim Whaley
    • Interview with Streisand from a 1992 episode of the British television show Aspel & Company with Michael Aspel
    • Trailers
    • PLUS: An essay by film historian Bruce Eder
    Cover based on an original theatrical poster

March 31, 2020

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Criterion has released other Blu-rays derived from 4K scans so why are some acting liking it's a new development? I'm more surprised by Barbara's updated audio commentary.

Reactions: dpippel

Mark-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Sometimes with Sony titles like this where a 4K restoration is known to exist it might be a safer bet just to get it on iTunes rather locking yourself into a 2K disc purchase.

Bernard McNair

Second Unit
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Looking forward to to this release. Streisand and Nolte are outstanding.
A great March from Criterion.

Mark-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Wouldn't it be nice if this title showed up on iTunes Midnight sale.;)
While it didn't happen then, it just when on sale now for $4.99. I definitely won't pass this one up. Sony has been quietly upgrading quite a few of their catalog titles to 4K on iTunes. I expect this one will eventually upgrade as well.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
While it didn't happen then, it just when on sale now for $4.99. I definitely won't pass this one up. Sony has been quietly upgrading quite a few of their catalog titles to 4K on iTunes. I expect this one will eventually upgrade as well.
Yup! I grabbed it immediately when I noted this new sale over in the digital thread.

Konstantinos

Screenwriter
Real Name
Konstantinos
I don't remember, are there other Criterion Blurays that use the original poster art?
I bet that was Streisand's request!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell