What's new

Criterion Press Release: The Parallax View (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
My interpretation of the film's ending was that
the "shadowy organization" that "recruited" the Beatty character set him up to take the fall for the killing of the political figure at the end. He didn't actually commit the crime, but was a "patsy" - and had been "groomed" from the beginning of the film.

I think that's exactly right and also answers as to why
there's an "extra" assassin in the opening scene who slips away unnoticed. Parallax sends their own killers to commit the political murders and recruits "loners" and "losers" to take the fall and wind up dead at the scene, providing authorities with a convenient corpse/scapegoat (like Beatty's invented persona) as part of their service. It's also why they take the time to kill so many of the witnesses at the Space Needle who, perhaps, didn't yet realize they might have seen the second (real) assassin.

I'm afraid I'm one of those people who always WANTS to like the film more than I do. I think it's a crackerjack paranoid thriller up until we find out
who "Parallax" actually is and what they do.
After that, I always personally feel it's something of a long haul to let the inevitable play out. For my money, I much prefer the mid 70s paranoid charms of THE CONVERSATION or THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR.

I WILL say that I've never seen this look better than on the new blu-ray and, if you're a fan, this is the one to get. It looks really terrific.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
The Conversation & Three Days of the Condor are both excellent films, and are definitely more accessible than TPV.

However, I find TPV to be slightly better than either of those due to the film's disturbing complexity; it's "homage" (if you want to call it that) to the aforementioned political murders in the 1960's; and, that truly unsettling "film" that was shown to the Beatty character to measure his reactions/responses/etc.

The 1997 underrated thriller The Game featured a similar film that was woven into the story-line. I strongly suspect this was an homage to TPV.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My interpretation of the film's ending was that
the "shadowy organization" that "recruited" the Beatty character set him up to take the fall for the killing of the political figure at the end. He didn't actually commit the crime, but was a "patsy" - and had been "groomed" from the beginning of the film.

This was obviously a homage to the JFK & BK murders from 1963 & 1968, respectively. These crimes & possible conspiracies surrounding them were still very fresh in the public's mind in the early '70's, when TPV was released. And, people are still fascinated by & are still discussing these today.

It took me a minute to figure out
"BK" = "Bobby Kennedy"! Use "RFK", man! :D

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Not sure how the ending needs to be interpreted when it's so obvious, but that's me.

Well, bully for you, Bruce! ;)
The Conversation & Three Days of the Condor are both excellent films, and are definitely more accessible than TPV.

However, I find TPV to be slightly better than either of those due to the film's disturbing complexity; it's "homage" (if you want to call it that) to the aforementioned political murders in the 1960's; and, that truly unsettling "film" that was shown to the Beatty character to measure his reactions/responses/etc.

The 1997 underrated thriller The Game featured a similar film that was woven into the story-line. I strongly suspect this was an homage to TPV.

But, in my opinion, THE GAME was completely crap, completely unbelievable even if entertaining, while the conspiracy (or something like it) in PARALLAX VIEW feels very possible. With somewhat different elements and results, this sort of plot might well have been happening in our own country for the past four years (to say nothing of 1962-1963), and even today.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Re: The Game - I did like the film, though it did require the viewers to "suspend disbelief" to a great extent. However, I will agree that TPV was far superior - for all of the reasons mentioned.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, bully for you, Bruce! ;)

But, in my opinion, THE GAME was completely crap, completely unbelievable even if entertaining, while the conspiracy (or something like it) in PARALLAX VIEW feels very possible. With somewhat different elements and results, this sort of plot might well have been happening in our own country for the past four years (to say nothing of 1962-1963), and even today.

My theatrical screening of "The Game" was one of the most disappointing movie events of my life.

I loved "Se7en" and I liked "Alien3", so I went into "The Game" with high expectations.

Which it occasionally threatened to achieve, but most of it just seemed... silly, maybe.

And the ending felt like a complete copout.

I've come to like it more since then - couldn't have liked it much less! - but it's still lower-tier Fincher, IMO...

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Vast conspiracy movies, while they can be fun, lost all sense of realism for me in the Clinton years. I mean, if the president of the United States can't get a, well, you know, in the oval office, when only two people were present, without the whole world knowing about it, how can there ever be any vast secret conspiracy?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I've been mostly absent from the site for a long time. It was with great pleasure I found out about the Criterion release of one of my all time favorite movies. Had basically given up on ever seeing a Bluray release, so happy, ordered and on the way.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finally watched this last night. I enjoyed it, and it’s classic Pakula. He uses silence very well. Scenes when seemingly nothing is happening, he’s building suspense. I thought it was well done, even if it is my least favorite of Pakula’s famed “paranoia” trilogy (when the others are Klute and All the President’s Men, I mean….).

I also thought the movie and its ending really fit the time. There were a lot of films in the early 70s that had bleak endings, and it makes sense after the assassinations of JFK, RFK, & MLK, Watergate, Vietnam, etc. It’s important to have films like these to remind us of just how defeated some people felt.

I thought the Blu-ray looked terrific.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Never seen this film. I don't think I am going to pay over $30 for it.

However, as an iTunes purchase, I will certainly consider if you guys recommend this film.
It's kind of a masterpiece; highly recommended for the permanent collection.

Once seen, never forgotten.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
After reviewing Three Days of the Condor yesterday, I was in the mood for another conspiracy thriller, so I watched this tonight after letting it sit for years. Yes, I had seen it before (not in a while), but while I thought Condor was more satisfying, I did enjoy watching it even with that predictably downbeat ending. I had forgotten how quickly many of the film's major stars leave the plot!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks