What's new

Criterion Press Release: The Parallax View (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is yet another film horribly mishandled by the studio. Virtually everything in the library, some titles not even fives years old, necessitates a full restoration.

There are butchers handling these elements!

I hope you are not referring to the upcoming Criterion release of PARALLAX VIEW, which I suspect you have not yet viewed. I agree that Paramount has botched their video releases rather routinely. DVDs of wonderful films like BAD NEWS BEARS and RAGTIME and PRETTY BABY and ATLANTIC CITY and...on and on and on...have seen terrible transfers that look bad even on small displays. It doesn't look as though Imprint in Australia is getting re-scans except for a couple of titles (WAR OF THE WORLDS, KING CREOLE), thus the less than stellar reviews of A PLACE IN THE SUN and others.

Then, of course, the studio simply stopped putting out DVD's and Blu-rays of their catalog for a very long, long time. Now that they seem to be back in the game, they do not seem to be providing (with a few exceptions) the extraordinary transfers that their library (and we collectors) deserve, either here from Paramount Presents! or through Australia by way of Via/Imprint.

My copy of ORDINARY PEOPLE, a 1980 Oscar-winner, sold exclusively at this point by Shock in Australia, looks like an up-rezzed DVD.

Sad, so sad.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
This is yet another film horribly mishandled by the studio. Virtually everything in the library, some titles not even fives years old, necessitates a full restoration.

There are butchers handling these elements!
You should see the recent Imprint Blu-ray release of The Day of the Locust. Horrible looking and in my option same master as used in the 2004 dvd release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You should see the recent Imprint Blu-ray release of The Day of the Locust. Horrible looking and in my option same master as used in the 2004 dvd release.
Imprint advertised new bonus material, but never said anything about a restored scan/transfer so yeah, it's probably derived from the same master used for the 2004 DVD release.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

• 1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray
  • NEW 2020 Video Interview with actor William Atherton
  • NEW 2020 audio commentary by Kat Ellinger, author and editor-in-chief of Diabolique Magazine
  • NEW 2020 video interview “Kim Newman on The Day of the Locust”
  • Teaser Trailer
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • English HOH Subtitles
  • Limited Edition slipcase with unique artwork on the first 1500 copies

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Imprint advertised new bonus material, but never said anything about a restored scan/transfer so yeah, it's probably derived from the same master used for the 2004 DVD release.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

• 1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray
  • NEW 2020 Video Interview with actor William Atherton
  • NEW 2020 audio commentary by Kat Ellinger, author and editor-in-chief of Diabolique Magazine
  • NEW 2020 video interview “Kim Newman on The Day of the Locust”
  • Teaser Trailer
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • English HOH Subtitles
  • Limited Edition slipcase with unique artwork on the first 1500 copies
I noticed that too but was hoping for something better from Paramount.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yes, I understood Mr. Harris's point immediately. "Restored" has no meaning. Parallax View needed no restoration - just a new scan. The end.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I've been waiting for a blu ray for this one for years.

Never seen this film. I don't think I am going to pay over $30 for it.

I'm not sure why anyone would pay much for a movie that they have never seen...? I'm not sure that I follow...

That said, it is on Prime, if you care to watch it.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Restoration lost its meaning years ago in the vintage car industry. Throw a Maaco paint job on a complete beater '65 Mustang and it's magically restored and posted on eBay.

Likewise, a 10 year old Corvette that's been garage kept and has very low miles and a set of new tires thrown on it is restored as well.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
It's a disease many of us are afflicted with, it's called blind-buy fever. ;)

It used to be a pandemic, which some had contracted during the first early-adopter days of DVD and Blu-ray, when only one or two titles would be released a week, and now only the Criterion fans are at high risk.

(Remember the old days of "It's still cheaper than the theaters!", and "If I don't like it, I can sell it back to Amazon!"...What are they saying nowadays?)

That said, it is on Prime, if you care to watch it.

Thanks to studio-abandoned catalogs, most movies coming out from third-party labels are.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Excellent news. I recently re-watched The Parallax View on the old DVD. This is definitely one of the most brilliant thrillers of all time, and one of my favorite 70's flicks. Extremely well crafted; the paranoia exhibited throughout the film was palatable. I also feel this is Beatty's best movie.

Really impressed by the cinematography in this film, especially the numerous far/long shots showing Beatty walking into and out of large buildings; walking up steps; the scene in front of the dam; the auditorium scene at the end.

In these shots, the character was intentionally dwarfed by the buildings/structures around him - to the point where, in some cases, it was hard to pinpoint where he actually was on screen.
To me, this emphasized his powerless-ness against the large, shadowy organization that he was fighting against - i.e., he had no chance of winning & never did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks