What's new

Criterion Press Release: The Parallax View (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
aWCjnWPiRPL47i47nomZVcZugCDOvF_large.jpg

Perhaps no director tapped into the pervasive sense of dread and mistrust that defined the 1970s more effectively than Alan J. Pakula, who, in the second installment of his celebrated Paranoia Trilogy, offers a chilling vision of America in the wake of the assassinations of the Kennedys and Martin Luther King Jr. and about to be shocked by Watergate. Three years after witnessing the murder of a leading senator atop Seattle’s Space Needle, reporter Joseph Frady (Warren Beatty) begins digging into the mysterious circumstances surrounding the killing—and stumbles into a labyrinthine conspiracy far more sinister than he could have imagined. The Parallax View’s coolly stylized, shadow-etched compositions by acclaimed cinematographer Gordon Willis give visual expression to a mood that begins as an anxious whisper and ends as a scream into the void.
FILM INFO
  • Alan J. Pakula
  • United States
  • 102 minutes
  • Color
  • 2.39:1
  • English
  • Spine #1064
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New introduction by filmmaker Alex Cox
  • Interviews with director Alan J. Pakula from 1974 and 1995
  • New program on cinematographer Gordon Willis featuring an interview with Willis from 2004
  • New interview with Jon Boorstin, assistant to Pakula on The Parallax View
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Nathan Heller and a 1974 interview with Pakula

New cover by Adam Maida

February 9, 2021

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never seen this film. I don't think I am going to pay over $30 for it.

However, as an iTunes purchase, I will certainly consider if you guys recommend this film.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Never seen this film. I don't think I am going to pay over $30 for it.

However, as an iTunes purchase, I will certainly consider if you guys recommend this film.
I think you will like it and it's one of Alan J. Pakula's best films. You can check with your local library to see if they will get it when it gets released. In the case with the Criterion release of Christ Stopped at Eboli i never saw it but checked it out at my local library and liked it enough to buy the Blu-ray.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
So glad to see Paramount is doing business with Criterion again, as well as getting their catalog out through Paramount Presents! and Imprint. :) 'Bout time!

Well, there's the 80's-90's movies that Paramount sold to Warner and were abandoned, and most of those are currently in out-of-copyright "orphan" status (I get complaints every time I say "Public domain"), showing up everywhere on streaming and third-party labels.
Criterion dips into classic PD titles, and they've recently had a wealth of MGM, Orion, and Paramount orphan titles to choose from, like "Shampoo" and "The Elephant Man".

The Paramount Presents label are the 50's-60's titles the studio held onto, like the Cary Grant wartime comedies, Martin & Lewis and Elvis musicals.
It's nice to see they're getting back on the physical horse, just like it's nice to see Criterion do a fairly good cover with not too many spoilers...

This has been my top Paramount title for years. The MOST paranoid film ever.

Robert Redford's "3 Days of the Condor" is also in Paramount-orphan status, but this is Warren Beatty-level political paranoia. :oops:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Well, there's the 80's-90's movies that Paramount sold to Warner and were abandoned, and most of those are currently in out-of-copyright "orphan" status (I get complaints every time I say "Public domain"), showing up everywhere on streaming and third-party labels...
Paramount didn't sell anything to Warner - they only used Warner as a distributor for a while, but they still control all their titles.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, there's the 80's-90's movies that Paramount sold to Warner and were abandoned, and most of those are currently in out-of-copyright "orphan" status (I get complaints every time I say "Public domain"), showing up everywhere on streaming and third-party labels.
Criterion dips into classic PD titles, and they've recently had a wealth of MGM, Orion, and Paramount orphan titles to choose from, like "Shampoo" and "The Elephant Man".

The Paramount Presents label are the 50's-60's titles the studio held onto, like the Cary Grant wartime comedies, Martin & Lewis and Elvis musicals.
It's nice to see they're getting back on the physical horse, just like it's nice to see Criterion do a fairly good cover with not too many spoilers...

Robert Redford's "3 Days of the Condor" is also in Paramount-orphan status, but this is Warren Beatty-level political paranoia. :oops:
A good one, but not quite imo

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Great film, which I've now seen at least a half dozen times since it's initial release. I do wish the Criterion would include commentary on its releases, though.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is yet another film horribly mishandled by the studio. Virtually everything in the library, some titles not even fives years old, necessitates a full restoration.

There are butchers handling these elements!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is yet another film horribly mishandled by the studio. Virtually everything in the library, some titles not even fives years old, necessitates a full restoration.

There are butchers handling these elements!
Are you talking about this upcoming BD release or just in general about Paramount titles?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks