What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Last Emperor (1987) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Doesn't seem like much new here. The release just says a "4K digital restoration" and doesn't mention any kind of new transfer, so I'm guessing they just ran the old master through a computer, sprinkled a little DV/HDR, and called it a day.
They likely licensed the 4K Dolby Vision master used by Arrow for their UK UHD released last year.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I have the Arrow UK UHD. The new master is stunning, light years better than the ancient HD masters that circulated before it.

The UHD here will clearly be the new 4K master from the Arrow edition, in the OAR.

I'll stand up for the original theatrical cut. I don't think any of the material added for the extended television version is vital. It feels more like watching a first assembly of the film, which it basically is. There really are not that many added scenes, the story isn't radically changed, the existing scenes are mostly just stretched out to extreme length with added dialogue and lots and lots of added tracking shots. Bertolucci had to shoot extra material to pad the movie out to run as a 2-part TV miniseries, because one of the financiers was an Italian TV network.

I know the longer cut has its fans, and that cut will be included here as an archival version, but I'm glad the version that was restored was the theatrical cut, as with Amadeus, which has also just been restored.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Doesn't seem like much new here. The release just says a "4K digital restoration" and doesn't mention any kind of new transfer, so I'm guessing they just ran the old master through a computer, sprinkled a little DV/HDR, and called it a day.
As several people have pointed out, your guess has no foundation based on Criterion's previously released 4K UHD titles - they've previously licenced masters produced by Arrow UK, Curzon, BFI, Pathé, MUBI, Turbine, Second Sight and StudioCanal.

And the master for the Arrow The Last Emperor is a typically fabulous Arrow Video production. On the other thread, there was a lone gentleman, who kept insisting that the picture was way too dark. But then on some other title, he subsequently discovered that he'd got his Dolby Vision settings - or whatever - all wrong.

IMG_8011.jpg

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Sure hope this 4k version is like the last Japanese BR release (from 4k) and not Arrows "Too Dark" 4k version

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
As several people have pointed out, your guess has no foundation based on Criterion's previously released 4K UHD titles - they've previously licenced masters produced by Arrow UK, Curzon, BFI, Pathé, MUBI, Turbine, Second Sight and StudioCanal.

And the master for the Arrow The Last Emperor is a typically fabulous Arrow Video production. On the other thread, there was a lone gentleman, who kept insisting that the picture was way too dark. But then on some other title, he subsequently discovered that he'd got his Dolby Vision settings - or whatever - all wrong.

View attachment 222448
it is too dark,I wish you could see the last Japanese BR from what looks like the same source as the Arrow Disc,Maybe
you will get a chance with this new Criterion set

I have had trouble with Dolby Vision, some titles look fantastic like "Once Upon a Time in the West " where others I have to turn it off, But I played the Arrow disc without Dollby Vision, and it still was to dark

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
it is too dark,I wish you could see the last Japanese BR from what looks like the same source as the Arrow Disc,Maybe

I have had trouble with Dolby Vision, some titles look fantastic like "Once Upon a Time in the West " where others I have to turn it off, But I played the Arrow disc without Dollby Vision, and it still was to dark

Is it possible you have some kinda display auto-dimming setting that could be causing that for some 4K discs? I don't have such displays, but that certainly seemed to have been an issue for some (flat panels) w/ some discs (usually around the darker scenes), including many(?) LG OLEDs from what I've read -- users typically needed to turn off or dial back the auto-dimming in such cases (and probably just leave it off in general).

_Man_

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
The Last Emperor is one of my favorite movies ever. :)
I've owned it an insane number of times:

Original US VHS
1999 US Artisan DVD - extended cut, 4:3 letterbox, possibly the worst DVD transfer in history
2004 UK Optimum DVD - both cuts, PAL speedup
2005-ish Korean DVD - both cuts, NTSC, one chapter of the theatrical cut encoded incorrectly
2008 Criterion DVD - both cuts, cropped to 2.00:1
2009 Criterion Blu-Ray - theatrical cut, cropped to 2.00:1
2012 Japanese Blu-Ray - first edition to properly present the theatrical cut at 24fps in its OAR, with no technical errors
2023 Arrow UHD

I didn't notice anything wrong with the Arrow UHD, it looked stunning to me. :)

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert

Have you watched the disc on someone else’s equipment to rule out the possibility that something in your system is causing what you’re seeing?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
it is too dark,
You're the only one. It looks fine projected on my 4K set-up and I do not have an expensive, or recent model. Anything with heavily applied HDR does not look good on my set-up. Virtually all Arrow Video 4K UHDs and all Kino Lorber 4K UHDs look really good, projected with my projector onto a 130 inch screen. That is because these labels consistently use HDR lightly. I have no possibility of seeing anything with Dolby Vision applied.

And everywhere the Theatrical Cut of Arrow Video's The Last Emperor 4K UHD has been reviewed, it has been awarded reference level video quality.

Last edited:

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
The Last Emperor is one of my favorite movies ever. :)
I've owned it an insane number of times:

Original US VHS
1999 US Artisan DVD - extended cut, 4:3 letterbox, possibly the worst DVD transfer in history
2004 UK Optimum DVD - both cuts, PAL speedup
2005-ish Korean DVD - both cuts, NTSC, one chapter of the theatrical cut encoded incorrectly
2008 Criterion DVD - both cuts, cropped to 2.00:1
2009 Criterion Blu-Ray - theatrical cut, cropped to 2.00:1
2012 Japanese Blu-Ray - first edition to properly present the theatrical cut at 24fps in its OAR, with no technical errors
2023 Arrow UHD

I didn't notice anything wrong with the Arrow UHD, it looked stunning to me. :)
I don't see the latest Japanese BR KIXF 1627/8 on that list You need to see that, or hopefully this new Criterion

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Have you watched the disc on someone else’s equipment to rule out the possibility that something in your system is causing what you’re seeing?
No ,but I do have 3 different BR versions, and 4 if you count the 4k Arrow release that I sold

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams456
Recent bookmarks