What's new

Criterion Press Release: The Lady Eve (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
and in the same release year, she did a little Samuel Goldwyn film for Howard Hawks, opposite Gary Cooper, now if Warner Archive can jump on the bandwagon.... Ball of Fire would make a great double feature.

Criterion just put "Ball of Fire" on their streaming service, so maybe they have something in the works...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
So glad to see Criterion releasing a Paramount title again...I hope this is not a one-shot. Paramount's recent efforts (under new Home Entertainment management, from what I hear) to get their neglected classics out on Blu-ray here and in Europe will hopefully lead to many more of the favorites we've been begging of them for a decade. But Criterion now means that three companies in the U.S. have some kind of deal with them: Criterion, Shout! and its own "Paramount Presents," to say nothing of Imprint in Australia. This is most encouraging. I, too, hope for MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK. I understand WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE is in the works, as a commentary will be/has been recorded for it.

Well, I know where at least part ofmy stimulus check is going...

The Lady Eve is owned by Universal now.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Supposedly, according to some article I read a long time ago, Preston Sturges made the specifics of THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK by the tenets of the MPPA code, so on the surface it was squeaky clean; for instance, (I'm going from memory here, so this may not be completely accurate) they have milk and cookies at the social, there's no necking or inappropriate behavior to be seen, she wakes up in the morning with a marriage certificate, etc. Apparently, Preston Sturges was able to take the Hays office through, scene by scene and line by line, and show that everything that happened was according to code. Of course, the way the film was paced and the actors were directed, it's clear to whomever wants to interpret the material, that these are all euphemisms, and something else is going on that's not stated in the dialogue or shown, but that's another matter. I'm under the impression that the MPPA approved the script and didn't see the finished film before it was released, but I could be mistaken.

Still, why the name Trudy Kockenlocker didn't cause the hairs on the backs of the censors' necks to collectively stand up is anyone's guess.
I wonder what William Demarest thought about having that as his last name and maybe the movie itself.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am not familiar with this film (similar to Ron). I just added it to my CheapCharts wishlist. I am reluctant to spend $20 on a blind buy Criterion at this point, so I'll wait for a $5 price on a digital online version. Considering the cast, though, I'm pretty confident I will enjoy the film.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My top Preston Sturges is Sullivan’s Travels.

But funniest is a neck-and-neck two-way tie between The Lady Eve and The Miracle Of Morgan’s Creek.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
But funniest is a neck-and-neck two-way tie between The Lady Eve and The Miracle Of Morgan’s Creek.

For my money, I'd HAVE to put the subversive batshit insanity of THE PALM BEACH STORY somewhere in that particular horse race, but I'm head over heels for any and all of them, to be honest.

THE LADY EVE has one of the sexiest scenes ever to slip by the Breen office (not to be indelicate but you can almost FEEL Henry Fonda's boner through the screen and who could blame him?) and the poker game is an absolute riot. I've spent my life trying to handle cards the way Stanwyck does in that scene (spoiler alert, it's impossible with the plastic coated kind) and I always have to watch it at least twice because it's so much fun

"Well WHADDAYA know? I thought for SURE one of you had four aces!" (Heaven!)

It feels like we've been waiting for this one for quite awhile and I wasn't sure it was coming because I remember hearing there were element issues. I can't wait!

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
The sound department weren't over exerting themselves as there's a scene where the background FX of kids playing goes round on its loop a few times. But I enjoy the film for its performances and will upgrade from the DVD.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I don't know if THE LADY EVE is a masterpiece, but it's one of those movies where after you leave the theater, stuff that happened in that fictional world keeps happening around you.

To be specific, I took my ex-wife to see it at the Regency (which is now an Apple store on B'way & 67th... sob). Anyway, we crossed the street and this woman's heel broke, and she started to fall, while this bald guy was staring at the woman with such intensity that he walked into a lamppost.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
For my money, I'd HAVE to put the subversive batshit insanity of THE PALM BEACH STORY somewhere in that particular horse race, but I'm head over heels for any and all of them, to be honest.

THE LADY EVE has one of the sexiest scenes ever to slip by the Breen office (not to be indelicate but you can almost FEEL Henry Fonda's boner through the screen and who could blame him?) and the poker game is an absolute riot. I've spent my life trying to handle cards the way Stanwyck does in that scene (spoiler alert, it's impossible with the plastic coated kind) and I always have to watch it at least twice because it's so much fun

"Well WHADDAYA know? I thought for SURE one of you had four aces!" (Heaven!)

It feels like we've been waiting for this one for quite awhile and I wasn't sure it was coming because I remember hearing there were element issues. I can't wait!

For some reason, The Palm Beach Story wasn’t shown as often when I was younger (possibly not part of the same sold to TV package), so I didn’t get ingrained into me. I still think it’s funny.

But, TLE has Eugene Pallette singing!!!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
To me Sturges's warmest with heart and most realistic in time and place ie NYC in the 1930's ( I know it was released in 1940 but it is based on an earlier play) is "Christmas in July ". I love the opening with the scene on the roof where city people went in the summer before home air conditioning was common. The scenes Jimmy's neighborhood are unlike any later Sturges film. For this reason I rate "Christmas in July" as my favorite of his films. Not the funniest but it is the one I enjoy most.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks