What's new

Criterion Press Release: The Hit (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
BJPJwRCBYFzcGcaZAGZ7A2S8qtVIzL_large.jpg

Terence Stamp is Willie, a gangster’s henchman turned “supergrass” (informer) trying to live in peaceful hiding in a remote Spanish village. Sun-dappled bliss turns to nerve-racking suspense, however, when two hit men—played by a soulless John Hurt and a youthful, loose-cannon Tim Roth—come calling to bring Willie back for execution. This stylish early gem from Stephen Frears boasts terrific hard-boiled performances from a roster of England’s best actors, music by Eric Clapton and virtuoso flamenco guitarist Paco de Lucía, and ravishing photography of its desolate Spanish locations—a splendid backdrop for a rather sordid story.
FILM INFO
  • Stephen Frears
  • United Kingdom
  • 98 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.78:1
  • English
  • Spine #469
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • High-definition digital restoration, approved by director of photography Mike Molloy, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • Audio commentary from 2009 featuring director Stephen Frears, actors John Hurt and Tim Roth, screenwriter Peter Prince, and editor Mick Audsley
  • Interview from 1988 with actor Terence Stamp from the television show Parkinson One-to-One
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Graham Fuller
New cover by Jason Hardy

October 20, 2020

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've never seen this movie, but will watch it on Criterion Channel before purchasing the disc.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It has been ages since I saw this (around the time of the DVD release in 2009) so my memories are a bit vague, but I do recall enjoying the performances quite a bit and thought it was an interesting film. Worth a revisit on Blu-Ray.

- Walter.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Frears, Stamp, Hurt, Roth...as if this combination could ever go wrong. I remember liking it very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks