What's new

Criterion Press Release: The Great Escape (1963) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Opinions on art are like, well, you know. Everybody has one. Completely subjective. Put me in the camp that loves a lot of Criterion's newer cover art, including this one. It's nice to see some fresh life getting breathed into these classic films. It would be nice if they included a reversible cover with original artwork for those that feel differently, ala Shout!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As I previously stated, this movie is near and dear to my heart. I bought the iTunes HD digital a couple of years ago during one of their sales so I'll be checking to see if it upgrades to 4K on May 12th. It probably won't, but you never know. I can't wait to watch the Criterion Blu-ray.
Today, I noticed that "The Great Escape" on iTunes did upgrade from HD to 4K, but without any HDR. I sampled several minutes of it and it looks better than when I watched that digital back in May.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Today, I noticed that "The Great Escape" on iTunes did upgrade from HD to 4K, but without any HDR. I sampled several minutes of it and it looks better than when I watched that digital back in May.

Guess I should just wait for that to go on sale again then... since I'm also that rare HTF bird that hasn't seen it yet... although I recently had my chances on a couple streaming services... :blush:

_Man_

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
The Great Escape ... My Collection 1963 LP, CD, & Bluray :)
DSC00404.JPG

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I will say this for the new Criterion artwork cover for the blu-ray; it's more an accurate depiction of something that actually happened in the film versus that original film art (and I have that LP) where everyone is busting loose at once running for it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That’s cool to see the 1963 LP! I recently was able to get the 3 CD Set. Is the artwork for the Criterion blu ray on the back of the artwork insert? I didn’t realize that!

I agree about the original poster artwork, it has a little Mad Mad Mad World feel to it.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think the original post art give you a good idea (a feel) of the film you're about to see, the new one less so. But I really don't care about the cover art either way, I only ever see it when I take the disc out. I spot checked the Criterion & very much liked what I saw, I think it'll be one of my Christmas films this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks