Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I'm never that bothered what a reviewer thinks of the film, I know what I like. I'm interested in the technical stuff, & this seems to pass with flying colours. I'll be very interested in what Robert Harris thinks. This film would always be in my top ten list.
I was joking, as I don't give a damn, if a reviewer doesn't like a movie that I am a fan of. As to this upcoming BD release, no offense to RAH, but I am buying this disc no matter what he says about it.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I guess this one will get added to my list for the next Criterion Sale. I think it's a terrific film, contrary to that reviewer.
There are films in which I can wait until July than there are films like "The Great Escape" in which I won't wait.:D

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
RICK
To me The Great Escape has been one of my favorite war films. It's in my Top 10 all time List. Excellent cast and a Great Score by Elmer Bernstein. I have the original 1963 Stereo LP in Mint condition, 3 CD Complete score, and movie poster on my Living room wall. : )

Reactions: LeoA

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
RICK
There are films in which I can wait until July than there are films like "The Great Escape" in which I won't wait.:D
Me too Robert. I Never wait for Special Favorite movies I want from Criterion. I usually get them from Amazon and use my Reward Points. I Never paid $40.00 for a Criterion Bluray at Barnes & Noble.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Me too Robert. I Never wait for Special Favorite movies I want from Criterion. I usually get them from Amazon and use my Reward Points. I Never paid $40.00 for a Criterion Bluray at Barnes & Noble.
This movie holds a special place with me because it was movie that my older sibling took me to see when I was kid back in 1963.

Nelson Au

Executive Producer
Reaction score
The Great Escape is one of my favorite films too.

Hey Rick, I didn’t know about the 3 CD soundtrack collection for the score. I looked it up and I see it’s from Intrada. I collect movie soundtracks and this one got past me. The Intrada site says in not available. But will be available soon. Maybe they are pressing more in anticipation for the Criterion release. I’ll be picking up both the Criterion blu ray and the soundtrack. ( just wish the Covid 19 situation wasn’t happening now, as I’m really untrusting of packages now. Though maybe by May the curve will be on the downslope. )

Reactions: RICK BOND

haineshisway

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Bruce
Can someone please explain to Dr. Svet what an optical is - he doesn't seem to be aware of either the word or what it is - because the two shots he references as being soft are - opticals. I'm really looking forward to this and I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say it will look nothing like the posted screen caps over there :)

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Can someone please explain to Dr. Svet what an optical is - he doesn't seem to be aware of either the word or what it is - because the two shots he references as being soft are - opticals. I'm really looking forward to this and I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say it will look nothing like the posted screen caps over there :)
:laugh: It's funny Bruce as I was reading his review yesterday afternoon I thought of you as I remembered your prior comments about his past reviews.

Reactions: haineshisway

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
And I was less-than-impressed by those screen grabs over there, too.

The actual image is likely to be TONS better than what those give as an impression.

Reactions: haineshisway

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Rick
With very few exceptions, younger people are never going to be interested in vintage movies. That has always been the case. When I was growing up in the 80s, almost no one wanted to watch anything that wasn't new, and that was at a time when there was comparatively little original content being produced. Now, there's more than anyone could conceivably watch, even if you spent every waking moment trying to do so.
I have to make exception with you here. Interest in older movies and music can increase as younger generations also age. Adults often suddenly begin to listen to the very same music that their parents listened to and which they'd once thought they hated...suddenly there is an emotional connection that drives a newfound appreciation for something outside of their contemporary experience. Call it nostalgia if you wish...so what?

It happened to me, and I've seen it happen to others. I despised big band and Ray Conniff-like music and really had no interest in classical music or show tunes...until I matured enough to accept that a lot of it was really pretty damn cool, and which, while listening to it, created an emotional bridge of sorts to my parents that hadn't been there before. I now listen to Glenn Miller and Ray Charles as much as I do to U2 and Mumford and Sons.

Same for movies. I'd had little interest in Bogart or Astaire/Rogers or musicals when I was young, but over time I developed a huge appreciation for the art of film noir and the perfection of dancing. Now, I absolutely prefer classics to our current etch-a-sketch bullshit with its awful, soulless writing, overused music scoring, show-off editing and so-called direction by wanna-be's.

Am I among the "few exceptions" you refer to? I don't think so. It depends upon what one is exposed to. A kid growing up with nothing for reference beyond video games and Michael Bay movies is likely not going to stream or buy a terrific contemporary foreign film or a black and white classic. ROMA, to use one example, was not made for those people, who may be hopelessly lost in our current bullshit consumer culture with little chance of escaping it.

But I have hope for intelligent young people who actually champion critical thinking and actually admire generational artistic developments in spite of our government and schools, which seem hell-bent on reducing our society to dumbed-down pawns. These are the hopefuls who have the ability to broaden their horizons by admitting that the art and knowledge of past generations actually have a direct impact on their own.

I think a lot of young people out there fit that description. And, so, I believe classic films, like great music from our past, will not die.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Reaction score

Hey Rick, I didn’t know about the 3 CD soundtrack collection for the score. I looked it up and I see it’s from Intrada. I collect movie soundtracks and this one got past me. The Intrada site says in not available. But will be available soon. Maybe they are pressing more in anticipation for the Criterion release. I’ll be picking up both the Criterion blu ray and the soundtrack. ( just wish the Covid 19 situation wasn’t happening now, as I’m really untrusting of packages now. Though maybe by May the curve will be on the downslope. )
Labels like Intrada and La-La Land have a lot of out-of-stock titles for long stretches due to limited production capabilities (and frankly their priority in the queue) at the remaining pressing plants on this continent. I seriously doubt Great Escape will come back in stock timed to Criterion's new BD or any other event. Unfortunately it will likely be a long wait, coming back whenever it comes back.

Billy Batson

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan

The original soundtrack as heard in the film just sounds so much better than the re-recorded album that was released (a much larger orchestra for a start), & has so many extra tracks, including the great track, At First Glance (the music you hear when they arrive at the camp). The tapes of the original score was a fantastic discovery & first released by Varese Saraband records, & when that went oop, Intrada released it along with the original album, & three CDs for the price of one is a fantastic bargain. Keep an eye on the site, I'm sure it's just being reprinted & will be back in stock soon.

Nelson Au

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the input about the soundtrack for The Great Escape. I’ll keep an eye out for the next batch from Intrada.

Nelson Au

Executive Producer
Reaction score
I was thinking about that negative review of The Great Escape that was linked to above at Blu-ray.com. The reviewer called the movie a fairy tale and doesn’t tell the real story. Well, we all know that a Hollywood film about real life events will take liberties with the story, compress the timeframe and combine characters. But the story itself is still true. And films of that era couldn’t get too graphic as it wanted the film to reach a broader audience. I think it’s still a great film that tells an inspirational story!

It got me to think about PT-109, the Warner film about JFK and his WW2 exploits in the South Pacific. That film is one of my favorites too because I like JFK and this story of survival. And it’s a true story. I haven’t fully researched it, but I knew it’s not exactly true to the events, but it covers the main events. Kennedy was the sitting president at the time the film was made, so that plays into how characters are depicted, it’s still an enjoyable film. I hope one day the Warner Archive might release it on blu ray. Though the DVD is actually really good looking.

Reactions: Hollywoodaholic

B-ROLL

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Bryan
I pre-ordered this through the Target.,com b2g1 sale ...

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I pre-ordered this through the Target.,com b2g1 sale ...
You and me both as I couldn't wait for Barnes and Nobles July sale.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wasn't going to buy this at all, but I have two $10 Criterion coupons to burn so I'll wait till the July sale and get this and most likely, WAR AND PEACE (which I really enjoyed)

B-ROLL

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Bryan
You and me both as I couldn't wait for Barnes and Nobles July sale.
Assuming they have one as i presume the point of the sale is to drive people to the bricks and mortar stores ...

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Wasn't going to buy this at all, but I have two $10 Criterion coupons to burn so I'll wait till the July sale and get this and most likely, WAR AND PEACE (which I really enjoyed)
Ron,

Have you seen "The Great Escape"? If so, did you like it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgasingh307