Bartman

Agent
Reaction score
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
When I see Criterion releasing 4k remasters only on BD, I can't help but think back to the early days of DVD, when they refused to use anamorphic encoding. What a waste. . .
Does anyone know why Criterion were reluctant to use anamorphic encoding? MGM/UA were also culprits of this.

1.66 non-anamorphic looks weird on a 16:9 TV whereas a good quality 4:3 fullframe can look fine.

Of course, Criterion could be waiting to re-release all these titles in UHD for everyone to buy yet one more time!

Reactions: MatthewA

Worth

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Does anyone know why Criterion were reluctant to use anamorphic encoding? MGM/UA were also culprits of this.

1.66 non-anamorphic looks weird on a 16:9 TV whereas a good quality 4:3 fullframe can look fine.

Of course, Criterion could be waiting to re-release all these titles in UHD for everyone to buy yet one more time!
In the early days of DVD, almost no one had 16:9 sets, and anamorphic discs looked worse on standard 4:3 televisions.

Bartman

Agent
Reaction score
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
In the early days of DVD, almost no one had 16:9 sets, and anamorphic discs looked worse on standard 4:3 televisions.
True, practically no 16:9 sets. Are you implying widescreen anamorphic looked worse than letterbox on a 4:3 set? If so, why?

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
Not to me, and until 2009 I was watching them via a standard-def 4x3 CRT projector on a screen 8 feet wide.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Some of the earliest DVD players had trouble displaying anamorphic discs on a 4x3 set. The problem was solved pretty early on but Criterion stuck with non-anamorphic for longer than was necessary.

Lord Dalek

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Are you implying widescreen anamorphic looked worse than letterbox on a 4:3 set? If so, why?
Back in the day converting 16:9 to 4:3 frequently introduced a slew of visual artifacts ranging from normally straight lines becoming wavy to moire and banding.

Worth

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
True, practically no 16:9 sets. Are you implying widescreen anamorphic looked worse than letterbox on a 4:3 set? If so, why?
The DVD player had to downconvert the 16:9 image to 4:3, which created picture artifacts. Toshiba and Panasonic players maintained a very sharp downconverted image, but at the expense of a lot of jaggies. Sony had a very smooth picture, but at the expense of sharpness. Pioneer and JVC split the difference. I remember testing a number of different machines when buying my first player and going with a Pioneer precisely because of the way it handled anamorphic downconversion.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
I understand how we got here...

But, fellas, can we get back to the subject at hand: Criterion's upcoming release of The Great Escape?

Thx.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Ricardo
Will THE GREAT ESCAPE be from a new scan? The Criterion website doesn't state it's new. Usually, this means it's a preexisting master...could this mean same master with additional work done?

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Will THE GREAT ESCAPE be from a new scan? The Criterion website doesn't state it's new. Usually, this means it's a preexisting master...could this mean same master with additional work done?
The press release says

NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

Reactions: MarkA

Ryan Barrett

Agent
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
Is it absolutely confirmed that the film, plus the special features will be on a single BD 50? If so, this seems to be a bit of a waste, no? Especially considering the film runs 170 odd minutes.

Reactions: Bartman

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Is it absolutely confirmed that the film, plus the special features will be on a single BD 50? If so, this seems to be a bit of a waste, no? Especially considering the film runs 170 odd minutes.
I don't think this is going to be like It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World which was a 4 disc set.

Blu-ray.com is saying that it is a single BD 50.

Last edited:

Chewbabka

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Joe
I don't think this is going to be like It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World which was a 4 disc set.

Blu-ray.com is saying that it is a single BD 50.
Blu-ray.com usually puts placeholder info before it is known what the contents will be. Could be different upon release.

Ryan Barrett

Agent
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
Blu-ray.com usually puts placeholder info before it is known what the contents will be. Could be different upon release.
Seems counter-intuitive to tout a new 4K Restoration and place that on a single BD alongside a boat load of special features. Beautiful transfer aside, if it has poor compression, I'm failing to see what the point is.

Reactions: Bartman

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Reaction score
The extras don't feature Rick Dalton's audition material or test footage. What the Hell? :)

- Walter

Billy Batson

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
Except he doesn’t think highly of the movie like some of us.
I'm never that bothered what a reviewer thinks of the film, I know what I like. I'm interested in the technical stuff, & this seems to pass with flying colours. I'll be very interested in what Robert Harris thinks. This film would always be in my top ten list.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohantbhena