What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Summertime (1955) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The only thing I was trying to see on those caps was framing. Because my Vizio does NOT allow me to zoom in on either blu-rays or streaming. And even if it did, I can't get a 1.66:1 zoom anyway.

Also the image is quite a bit brighter on my Chromecast anyway.

Last edited:

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
It had been a while since I watched the Japanese Blu-ray, so I decided, with all this talk about the new version, to view it on my 77" OLED screen. To begin with, I forgot that it was an all-region release, so it played on my main system just fine. As long as we're not getting the properly wide version of the movie (a true shame), what we have here looks quite wonderful, really, really lovely. So this is the way it played out for me: Even if the new Criterion is marginally superior to the Japanese release because of basic advancements in technology, the difference has to be minimal. Given how great the J-disc looks, and the fact that the all-region aspect enables it to be played on your primary player, there's really no reason to buy the Criterion if you already have this earlier version. If you don't have the J-disc, then buy the new release, and live with the still-wrong aspect ratio. There's really little else we can do...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I always trust screenshots.
I view my blurays on my pc anyway, so the blurays themselves always look like the screenshots posted either at DVDbeaver, or bluray.com or caps-a-holic.
Mercy, I would never watch a Blu-ray on a PC. My viewing is a front projector on a 120 inch screen. That’s why I don’t trust screen shots. Most of the Screen shots are from a PC and do not reflect the reality.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Mercy, I would never watch a Blu-ray on a PC. My viewing is a front projector on a 120 inch screen. That’s why I don’t trust screen shots. Most of the Screen shots are from a PC and do not reflect the reality.
Well, I don't have a projector, neither a TV. My space is small.
I have a 4k 43'' LG monitor, so you understand that what I see in screenshots, I see on the blurays or UHDs too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It had been a while since I watched the Japanese Blu-ray, so I decided, with all this talk about the new version, to view it on my 77" OLED screen. To begin with, I forgot that it was an all-region release, so it played on my main system just fine. As long as we're not getting the properly wide version of the movie (a true shame), what we have here looks quite wonderful, really, really lovely. So this is the way it played out for me: Even if the new Criterion is marginally superior to the Japanese release because of basic advancements in technology, the difference has to be minimal. Given how great the J-disc looks, and the fact that the all-region aspect enables it to be played on your primary player, there's really no reason to buy the Criterion if you already have this earlier version. If you don't have the J-disc, then buy the new release, and live with the still-wrong aspect ratio. There's really little else we can do...
Anybody remember how much that Japanese Blu-ray cost?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I don't have a projector, neither a TV. My space is small.
I have a 4k 43'' LG monitor, so you understand that what I see in screenshots, I see on the blurays or UHDs too.
Well, all of us have to make due with what we have available to us. For most of us, screenshots might not be accurate enough in comparison to a movie in motion on a much larger screen than a 43" monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks