What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Summertime (1955) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I sit corrected, noble sir. I didn't realize that some hope based on a report that Criterion was taking our concerns seriously constituted "a misguided and myopic" misinterpretation. Just as I'm sure you didn't realize that your needlessly rude reaction to an innocent and understandable comment requires an apology.
Please re-read Post #375. I was actually backing you up. And I did so by steering HTF members ahollis and Moderator Robert Crawford towards Post #296, which I had surmised to be the reference point and answer to all that was being discussed.

When writing, “a misguided and myopic misinterpretation” I was lampooning my very own self; for within my zeals, I did not want to take the risk of creating any inaccuracies or running astray with the good words of Robert Harris.

I remain on your side with your initial Post of #371 and bear zero ills towards you or our collective membership, to which I very much respect and admire.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please re-read Post #375. I was actually backing you up. I was validating and recognizing you. And I did so by steering HTF members ahollis and Moderator Robert Crawford towards Post #296, which I had surmised to be the answer to their question.

When writing, “a misguided and myopic misinterpretation” I was being self-deprecating and lampooning my very self; for within my own zeals, I did not want to take the risk of creating any Internet Ratio rumors nor inaccuracies with the good words of Robert Harris.

I remain on your side with your initial Post of #371 and bear zero ills towards any of our members.
No offense to RAH, but that post means nothing until we hear something from Criterion.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Note that way back in post 5, Bob Furmanek posted reviews of the movie from the time it was in release (June 21, 1955, U.S. premiere). They specified a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. The first review (second image) is from the June 18, 1955, issue of Boxoffice, a magazine directed to theater owners.
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/27025469/boxoffice-june181955 page 95
Lucky for us that Summertime wasn’t a 20th Century-Fox film, otherwise it would’ve been known as Summerteal.

(Sorry, I just couldn’t resist) :D

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Note that way back in post 5, Bob Furmanek posted reviews of the movie from the time it was in release (June 21, 1955, U.S. premiere). They specified a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. The first review (second image) is from the June 18, 1955, issue of Boxoffice, a magazine directed to theater owners.
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/27025469/boxoffice-june181955 page 95
Amazing how many great comments are here and Criterion still is not bending I am just thinking if I want the film I will just get the Japanese disc --- has this film been shown on TCM recently at all?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Amazing how many great comments are here and Criterion still is not bending I am just thinking if I want the film I will just get the Japanese disc --- has this film been shown on TCM recently at all?
IF Criterion were to answer, it will not be overnight. Even if in our favor, I would imagine many departments would need to be conferred and, ultimately, it would come in the form of an updated press release in lieu of a thread posting. Just surmising, as I’m not an insider; but some things do need time.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
IF Criterion were to answer, it will not be overnight. Even if in our favor, I would imagine many departments would need to be conferred and, ultimately, it would come in the form of an updated press release in lieu of a thread posting.

This has happened before with Orson Wells's Hamlet I believe. For some reason it kept being delayed for quiet sometime, I think it was a whole year later that it finally was released.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Lucky for us that Summertime wasn’t a 20th Century-Fox film, otherwise it would’ve been known as Summerteal.

(Sorry, I just couldn’t resist) :D

SummertimeTealTime.jpg

Summerteal - The Girl (or Fox) Can't Help It.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Why get the Japanese disc? It's not in widescreen either. And what will you do if you get the Japanese disc now, and a month from now Criterion announces that it's going to release the film in widescreen, or have both ratios?

How about just relaxing and waiting to see if Criterion changes their collective mind. There's nothing to lose.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Why get the Japanese disc? It's not in widescreen either. And what will you do if you get the Japanese disc now, and a month from now Criterion announces that it's going to release the film in widescreen, or have both ratios?

How about just relaxing and waiting to see if Criterion changes their collective mind. There's nothing to lose.

This is the HTF, we can't have rational thinking such as that. You can get locked up for that or even worse.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Furthermore, this Criterion Blu-ray will be derived from a new 4K scan which wasn’t the case for the Japanese disc.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Please re-read Post #375. I was actually backing you up. And I did so by steering HTF members ahollis and Moderator Robert Crawford towards Post #296, which I had surmised to be the reference point and answer to all that was being discussed.

When writing, “a misguided and myopic misinterpretation” I was lampooning my very own self; for within my zeals, I did not want to take the risk of creating any inaccuracies or running astray with the good words of Robert Harris.

I remain on your side with your initial Post of #371 and bear zero ills towards you or our collective membership, to which I very much respect and admire.

That is how I read it, Gary. Philip was helping to support your post.

Reactions: PMF

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I think most of us are in agreement with you that first-run cinemas didn't have the ability to project Academy anymore at that time which is why Academy films got butchered. But the reason wouldn't have been because they would have been windowboxed (you actually meant pillarboxed). It's because they discarded the Academy projection plates and lenses. Even with the correct plate, using the same lens would mean the 1.37:1 image have the same width but spill over the top and bottom of the screen, so they would need a lens with longer throw to make the image smaller. It wasn't like it is today with projectors that have incredible amounts of zoom and lens shifting capabilities.
I understand all that and was not suggesting it would have been pillar boxed back then. I know how all this works, just as I know Summertime was shown here in 1.85.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks