What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Shaft (1971) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this tonight for the first time in many years. I thought I had upgraded to a Blu-ray, but all I could find was the DVD, so I watched that. What a fun return to the 1970s with the hair, clothes, and temperament. Not being such a slick studio film certainly gives it character.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I have it on DVD. But I will pick this one up.
This will be a must in 4K.
Shaft. He's one bad mother Fu%$#@

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm surprised that no one had yet commented on this special feature:

Shaft’s Big Score!, the 1972 follow-up to Shaft by director Gordon Parks

Yes, it's just on regular blu-ray, but...

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
That cover art is fabulous, and recalls the great Bob Peak, who is probably my favorite movie poster artist of all time.
The logotype for the film's title is iconic all by itself. Just seeing that one word in that typeface and you know what is being referred to.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Can Ya Dig It Isaac Hayes GIF by The Official Giphy page of Isaac Hayes
I figured this would be a 4K release, given that WAC had already released a rock-solid MOD Blu-ray.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
The fact they are giving us shafts big score is my main reason for getting this film. I was a little shocked that this film got the criterion treatment, but I'm Glad Mr parks will now have his own section on my shelf. But if criterion is going to do a few more "explotation" in the future I hope they do superfly.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The fact they are giving us shafts big score is my main reason for getting this film. I was a little shocked that this film got the criterion treatment, but I'm Glad Mr parks will now have his own section on my shelf. But if criterion is going to do a few more "explotation" in the future I hope they do superfly.
Well, in a way, it wasn't "necessary" for Criterion to add the sequel, given that WAC released a triple-feature set of all three of the 70s Shaft movies. In another way, it's almost sad that they aren't including the third film, but since this release is something of a celebration of Parks, it would be silly (as well as unnecessary) to include Guillerman's film.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Well, in a way, it wasn't "necessary" for Criterion to add the sequel, given that WAC released a triple-feature set of all three of the 70s Shaft movies. In another way, it's almost sad that they aren't including the third film, but since this release is something of a celebration of Parks, it would be silly (as well as unnecessary) to include Guillerman's film.
I didn't even know they had released it . Thanks for that info. I'm all for the first two movies. As a kid I liked shaft in Africa but as a man it didn't resonate with me much.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't even know they had released it . Thanks for that info. I'm all for the first two movies. As a kid I liked shaft in Africa but as a man it didn't resonate with me much.
Those Shaft titles are part of the following sale taking place at moviezyng.com.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Criterion is on a roll releasing some of my favorite films: Love & Basketball, The Learning Tree, Love Jones and now Shaft!

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Well, when put in that perspective...

No argument here.
Back during the Laserdisc days, Criterion did a lot of things people wouldn’t associate with Criterion today. Robocop, Michael Bay’s The Rock and Armageddon, which did get Criterion DVD release’s, The English Patient, Evita with Madonna, Pulp Fiction, in fact, I wish they would go back to that and have some fun. This release of Shaft gives me hope. Blind purchase for me.

Britton

Screenwriter
Maybe it’ll happen as physical media becomes more niche. Seems like the studios pulled back their licensing when DVD became a cash cow. I think steaming is the modern day VHS with UHD BR being laserdisc.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Maybe it’ll happen as physical media becomes more niche. Seems like the studios pulled back their licensing when DVD became a cash cow. I think steaming is the modern day VHS with UHD BR being laserdisc.
Yes. I have been saying that. Streaming didn’t replace physical, it replaced Blockbuster. Even back in the day, a store like Suncoast was a niche store. A Spencer’s for film fanatics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks