1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Criterion Press Release: sex, lies, videotape (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    938_BD_box_348x490_original.

With his provocative feature debut, twenty-six-year-old Steven Soderbergh trained his focus on the complexities of human intimacy and deception in the modern age. Housewife Ann (Andie MacDowell) feels distant from her lawyer husband, John (Peter Gallagher), who is sleeping with her sister (Laura San Giacomo). When John’s old friend Graham (a magnetic, Cannes-award-winning James Spader) comes to town, Ann is drawn to the soft-spoken outsider, eventually uncovering his startling private obsession: videotaping women as they confess their deepest desires. A piercingly intelligent and flawlessly performed chamber piece, in which the video camera becomes a charged metaphor for the characters’ isolation, the Palme d’Or–winning sex, lies, and videotape changed the landscape of American film, helping pave the way for the thriving independent scene of the 1990s.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director Steven Soderbergh, with 5.1 surround DTS‑HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • Audio commentary from 1998 featuring director Steven Soderbergh in conversation with filmmaker Neil LaBute
    • New program by Soderbergh, featuring responses to questions sent in by fans
    • Interviews with Soderbergh from 1990 and 1992
    • New documentary about the making of the film featuring actors Peter Gallagher, Andie MacDowell, and Laura San Giacomo
    • New conversation with composer Cliff Martinez and supervising sound editor Larry Blake
    • Deleted scene with commentary by Soderbergh
    • Trailers
    • More!
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Amy Taubin and, in the Blu-ray release, excerpts from Soderbergh’s diaries written at the time of the film’s production
    • United States
    • 100 minutes
    • Color
    • 1.85:1
    • English
    • Spine #938

July 17, 2018

PMF and Jimbo64 like this.
  2. Message #2 of 14 Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

3. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I am wondering who actually owns the rights to this. It was distributed by Paramount Home Video in 2001 on DVD, but on Amazon the company is listed as Sony. Criterion hasn't released a Paramount title for years that I am aware of, so it would be nice to discover they are still doing business with that studio on occasion.

4. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

Virgin Suicides is a Paramount title. The previous sex, lies, and videotape Blu-ray was released by Sony, but I'm not sure if they still have the rights or if the rights have reverted to Soderbergh.

5. Message #5 of 14 Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    titch

titch Second Unit

Kevin Oppegaard
    Sony/Grover Crisp restored A Matter Of Life and Death, so that is two Sony licensed titles for July from Criterion! Sex, Lies and Videotape is probably my favourite Steven Soderbergh film. Criterion's July release schedule must be the strongest they've ever had - every title is a winner!

PMF and Vegas 1 like this.
  6. Message #6 of 14 Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

7. Derrick King

Criterion is also releasing this in the UK in July.

8. Message #8 of 14 Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

I have a copy of 'Sex, Lies & Videotape' on reserve at my local Barnes & Noble. But now I'm thinking I might not go pick it up. Reason:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=15296079#post15296079

Multiple people are reporting that the inner cardboard case is being damaged on the corners in transit (even to brick & mortar stores) and, WORSE, the plastic slipcover you remove/replace is DAMAGING the cardboard case. They are even arriving to customers damaged (before the shrink-wrap is even removed).

If there is a Criterion rep here on the forum, someone please point them to the above topic. Yikes!

Why on earth not use the regular clear plastic cases that are common on so many other Criterion titles?

Mark

9. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

I went ahead and picked up my copy of this Criterion. The packaging SUCKS. The plastic slipcover I received doesn't even have parallel front/back (one side is bowed compared to the other). The fit is extremely tight. I slid it off very carefully to avoid damaging the cardboard's artwork. And the slipcover is STAYING off.

I hope someone does a nice custom artwork so I can move the disc and booklet to a different case. Criterion really blew it on this title.

Mark

10. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I agree the fit is tight. I tried to put the package back in the slipcase and found it difficult to do.

I'd assume the package design was Soderbergh's idea - or someone in his camp's. Makes little sense to me that Criterion would go this route on their own...

11. Derrick King

Soderbergh is why they changed the cover, so he might be responsible for the plastic slipcover design. He certainly approved it.

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I think this is the first Criterion I purchased on release day in-store. Just from skimming, the new remaster looks and sounds incredible.

As for the packaging, mine got scuffed on the bottom right... but it sort of looks neat? Sort of reminds me how VHS boxes would get tattered on the edges.

13. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I was able to get it out with some difficulty. After reading about the issues, I tried to gently stretch the slipcover by inserting my finger at all corners without tearing the perf. edges before sliding the internal set out which did seem to help a little going both directions. Unfortunately the only copy in store already had a small amt of edge bending, but it wasn't too bad. I have little hope that this will hold up well over time. Not only the cardboard holder is likely to wear over time, but these style plastic slipcovers seems to end up tearing -- the perfs that allow it to bend just don't tend to be very sturdy. I don't mind unique packaging, but I'd just as soon not see this style again.

I remember those early Cardboard Digipacks that they eventually offered replacement Scanova cases and Bookets for a small fee -- still have both packaging though I keep the cardboards sets far away from any human contact. At least this item has a real booklet and not the fold-out information sheets that most releases have had for the last year or two

14. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    I have the Criterion Laser Disc of this. Might be time to upgrade.

This movie was filmed in and around Baton Rouge - my home town. I know several of the places that show up on screen.

It's actually been years since I've watched this movie, but I remember even when I saw it in the theater - In the early scenes, James Spader is driving across several bridges and eventually stops at a store.

If I recall, he's first driving on what we call the "Old Bridge", US 190 - heading out of town from Baton Rouge, across the Mississippi River. Then he's driving over the "New Bridge", I-10 over the Mississippi back into Baton Rouge. Then he stops at the Bait Shop, which I've been to many times with my Grandparents heading to a camp they had, but first stopping to pick up some fishing bait at this same store, and this store is in North Baton Rouge, on US 190 on the way back towards the Old Bridge. He's driving in circles.

I'm surprised no one has this as one of those "errors in geography" on IMDB.

I may have the order wrong since it's been so long, but the Old Bridge is rusty red colored, the truss structure is only on the middle with the train tracks and the roadway is cantilevered off either side, so there's no structure directly over the car during those scenes. The New Bridge is silver gray with the roadway under the truss structure so you see the steel passing over the car in those scenes.

And then Ann's (Andi MacDowell) house is in the Lake at White Oak subdivision that is way in the opposite Southeastern corner of the city from the Bait Shop. But, if you didn't know that... :)

Cynthia's house is in the Zee Zee Gardens subdivision. The restaurant the Ann and Graham eat at is the former Zee Zee Gardens Restaurant. I used to think John's office was actually on the Port Allen side of the river, but I could be wrong.

I need to watch this again.