Criterion Press Release: Seconds (Blu-ray)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
secondsfront.jpg
secondsback.jpg
SECONDS – Blu-ray & DVD Editions
Rock Hudson (All That Heaven Allows) is a revelation in this sinister, science-fiction-inflected dispatch from the fractured 1960s. Seconds, directed by John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate), concerns a middle-aged businessman dissatisfied with his suburban existence, who elects to undergo a strange and elaborate procedure that will grant him a new life. Starting over in America, however, is not as easy as it sounds. This paranoiac symphony of canted camera angles (courtesy of famed cinematographer James Wong Howe), fragmented editing, and layered sound design is a remarkably risk-taking Hollywood film that ranks high on the list of its legendary director’s major achievements.
1966 • 107 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.75:1 aspect ratio
SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• New 4K digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
• Audio commentary featuring director John Frankenheimer
• Actor Alec Baldwin on Frankenheimer and Seconds
• New program on the making of Seconds, featuring interviews with Evans Frankenheimer, the director’s widow, and actor Salome Jens
• Interview with Frankenheimer from 1971
• New visual essay by film scholars R. Barton Palmer and Murray Pomerance
• PLUS: An essay by critic David Sterritt
TITLE: Seconds (BLU-RAY EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC2294BD
UPC: 7-15515-10861-4
ISBN: 978-1-60465-757-9
SRP: $39.95
PREBOOK: 7/16/13
STREET: 8/13/13
TITLE: Seconds (DVD EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC2295D
UPC: 7-15515-10871-3
ISBN: 978-1-60465-758-6
SRP: $29.95
PREBOOK: 7/16/13
STREET: 8/13/13

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Well, search the one-sheet - it's not too appetizing either :) You know, I saw a sneak preview of Seconds in Westwood, about four months prior to its release. It was a full house. When Rock Hudson's name came on the screen, the idiots in the audience booed. But as soon as the first scene came on, you could hear a pin drop. They realized instantly this was going to be something completely different. About a third of the audience left during the film, but the ones who stayed were in shock after its final image. It's my favorite Frankenheimer film and its lovely that over the years its finally gotten its due. Certainly back then it got no due whatsoever.

Reactions: David_B_K and JoHud

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yeah, it's one I've always been interested to see, but not enough to deal with the massive price for the OOP DVD. Looking forward to seeing this one at last.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh wow ..... what a great surprise. After all these years of waiting and wondering. This is stupendous news.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
What great news. I sold off my DVD last year, so I'm totally down for this. One of my Top 100 favorite films of all time.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Again, yet another situation with no trailer included. Does Paramount just not want Criterion to include classic trailers on their releases of the studio's films?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I love that Saul Bass art. Sorry, but it's a fine example of this brilliant man's beautiful graphic design. I would suggest that criticizing the design yet not knowing if Bass did the titles would indicate the need for a refresher course on the artist, one which could yield a greater appreciation of his art overall. ;)

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Wow, I thought this one was out of print and forgotten..nice to see Criterion bring it back.

Derrick King

Supporting Actor
Mark Edward Heuck said:
Again, yet another situation with no trailer included. Does Paramount just not want Criterion to include classic trailers on their releases of the studio's films?
I think so. Cliff said that Paramount would not let Shout include THE DUELLISTS trailer on their Blu-ray.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
ReggieW beat me to the punch with the poster.

I can't wait to see the extreme angles in deep focus from the sharpness and clarity of fixed lenses. Frankenheimer knew how to shoot movies. The film has a kind of Twilight Zone vibe to it. Glad they're including his commentary from the DVD. Frankenheimer's commentaries are like taking a workshop with him and are an important part of his legacy.

Totally and completely bought.

Criterion, bring on more Frankenheimer films fast as you can.

Reactions: David_B_K

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Professor Echo said:
I love that Saul Bass art. Sorry, but it's a fine example of this brilliant man's beautiful graphic design. I would suggest that criticizing the design yet not knowing if Bass did the titles would indicate the need for a refresher course on the artist, one which could yield a greater appreciation of his art overall. ;)
Here here! It's great having a Co such as Criterion utilize the work of this genius of the art world.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Professor Echo said:
Im a big fan of Bass' work, and I haven't seen Seconds so i didn't feel like going to look it up to pretend to have knowledge I didnt. I think you can appreciate Bass and think that this poster is far from his best. Not really a fan of his Bonjour Tristesse art either, but Advise and Consent is spectacular for example. Bass certainly got far more right than wrong, and sorry if you felt my comments were directed at his body of work rather than this one piece I was commenting on

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven't seen Seconds since maybe I saw it on laserdisc before DVD.I do have the oop DVD but never got around to opening it.This bluray will be an easy purchase.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gil Jones