Press Release Criterion Press Release: Parasite (Blu-ray)

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
A good example is Grave Of The Fireflies. The voice acting is so good In the original Japanese that when I tried to watch the English dub, it was so distracting I switched back. The film is an emotional powerhouse and the performances by the actors in their original language is tremendous, lost in the dub.
By the way this masterpiece is on sale for $4.99 on iTunes, alas only with the English dub. I purchased it anyway since it’s the only version available to stream.

Dick

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I think you'll be buying almost no Criterion discs then because it seems like they only do them now with the actual filmmakers AND when they want to record one. I'm sure there's a few other examples but this and Wes Anderson & company on The Grand Budapest Hotel is the only new track I can remember from Criterion in years. They've seemed to transition from filmmaker commentaries to interviews with filmmakers.
This applies to titles I would be double-dipping on, not titles I have never bought on Blu-ray before. I will buy PARASITE, because it includes a commentary not included on the original release that I own.

battlebeast

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Will this included an English dub?
A good example is Grave Of The Fireflies. The voice acting is so good In the original Japanese that when I tried to watch the English dub, it was so distracting I switched back. The film is an emotional powerhouse and the performances by the actors in their original language is tremendous, lost in the dub.
LOVE THAT MOVIE!

I dislike dubs, too. Many times they dub in what they want, not a direct translation. I’ve noticed that in things like DRAGON BALL.

Reactions: Tino

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I will say that what does annoy me is if the subtitles are white and there is a scene in the movie which is against a white background, then it might be difficult in some shots to make out what the subtitle says. I understand that most movies tend to use white as the color for the subtitle track so as to be the least distracting to the colors in the movie, but from time to time I wonder if anyone who was in charge of actually putting the subtitles in the frame watched the movie. It would be appropriate, I think, for the subtitle to change color to provide contrast if it is ever the same color as the part of the frame in which it appears. Fortunately, this Is only a problem very occasionally, and when it occurs I usually use the pause button to have more time to figure out what the subtitle says. But this area could stand to be improved in some cases.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I will say that what does annoy me is if the subtitles are white and there is a scene in the movie which is against a white background, then it might be difficult in some shots to make out what the subtitle says. I understand that most movies tend to use white as the color for the subtitle track so as to be the least distracting to the colors in the movie, but from time to time I wonder if anyone who was in charge of actually putting the subtitles in the frame watched the movie. It would be appropriate, I think, for the subtitle to change color to provide contrast if it is ever the same color as the part of the frame in which it appears. Fortunately, this Is only a problem very occasionally, and when it occurs I usually use the pause button to have more time to figure out what the subtitle says. But this area could stand to be improved in some cases.
A good subtitler will add a drop shadow on white-on-white subtitles to make them readable. Old prints from the '30s-'70s suffered from that issue and were so aggravating. Anyway, a company that still does that on a video is just plain careless and sloppy. But please, don't use yellow subtitles!

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I grew up reading subtitles because we received all USA and foreign films in their original languages. Only Spanish language films lacked subs. It became second nature to me.
When a shift to dubbed films began in the late sixties (TV, not cinemas), we were treated to painful versions of Casablanca without Bogie and Bergman; Meet Me in St. Louis without Garland, etc. You can well imagine, particularly when you had already seen the originals with the real voices. You don't really want to hear the fake voices. They never match the voices you have already learned to love and the voices that match the performances.
Never, never watch a dubbed movie unless you have no other choice.

• Agreed
Reactions: Walter Kittel

cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I'm guessing a lot of people here haven't seen the film. If you have, you know that a bit of the film IS in English, because the initial scam is predicated on the fact that the "tutor" speaks English and is hired to teach it to the kid. If the entire film is in English, then that whole plot point makes no sense.

Reactions: Rob W

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A very small bit...yes..but not the majority, which very much is a Korean-language film.

If they wanted to do an English dub, I think it could be understood that the girl is still learning English and that they are only speaking it for reasons of it being a dub. The film would still be set in Korea, so I think it would be reasonable to expect the audience to figure that out.

However, it's a moot point because there's no way there will be a dub.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
HBO has picked up the rights to develop a limited series based on Parasite, and there were unconfirmed rumors around the time of the Oscars that Mark Ruffalo would star in that. I'm not sure why we need a limited series, but if that comes to pass, presumably it would be an English version. In that case, the character can be teaching some other language that is not English. That's an easy workaround.

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
HBO has picked up the rights to develop a limited series based on Parasite, and there were unconfirmed rumors around the time of the Oscars that Mark Ruffalo would star in that. I'm not sure why we need a limited series, but if that comes to pass, presumably it would be an English version. In that case, the character can be teaching some other language that is not English. That's an easy workaround.
So unnecessary. Oh well, they made a series out of Snowpiercer (but again not as good as the film)

• Agreed
Reactions: Jake Lipson

EricSchulz

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Hell, I watch every disc with the subtitles activated so I'm used to reading them. I even activate them for movies that are shown on TV.
I attribute it to getting older AND it's a great way to watch without having the volume too loud and disturbing my entire apartment building!

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I am wondering what I should do with the original release of this when I upgrade to the Criterion. Under normal circumstances, I would give the original to a friend. But I don't think I have any friends who would want to have Parasite and not want the Criterion for the same reason that I want the Criterion.

I've also been unable to re-home my original Sony Blu-ray of Before Midnight, because the first two films are only on Blu-ray in the box set. So anyone who would want Before Midnight would end up with a second copy when they buy the box set, the same as I did.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I am wondering what I should do with the original release of this when I upgrade to the Criterion. Under normal circumstances, I would give the original to a friend. But I don't think I have any friends who would want to have Parasite and not want the Criterion for the same reason that I want the Criterion.

I've also been unable to re-home my original Sony Blu-ray of Before Midnight, because the first two films are only on Blu-ray in the box set. So anyone who would want Before Midnight would end up with a second copy when they buy the box set, the same as I did.
I don't know about currently but don't libraries take discs? Any time I pick up a re-release, I either give it away to a friend and if I don't know anyone that wants it, I sell it on eBay. It's not like there's much money to be made on a used disc so I probably should look into just giving them to a library too.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here's what I think is so odd about the idea of the miniseries.

The movie was so great because it gave us a twist in the middle without ever making us suspect that there was a twist coming. Of course, the movie still works on repeat viewings after you know what is going to happen because the movie isn't entirely dependent on the twist. However, if the limited series follows the same basic idea, then there's no way for us to have a purely new experience of it, because for the first half, or however long it takes for them to get to the twist point, the audience will now be sitting there waiting for the twist to happen. So it won't be able to capture the same kind of "OMG" moment that happened with the movie because we already know where it is going to go. That doesn't make it inherently without value necessarily, but it's going to have to find another way in that doesn't seem like it's just going through the motions we expect because we remember the movie. The point at which the movie pivots is one o the biggest surprises I experienced at the theater last year, so the series is going to have to have something different up its sleeve in order to have the same impact. We'll see how that goes.

cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger
A very small bit...yes..but not the majority, which very much is a Korean-language film.

If they wanted to do an English dub, I think it could be understood that the girl is still learning English and that they are only speaking it for reasons of it being a dub. The film would still be set in Korea, so I think it would be reasonable to expect the audience to figure that out.
Perhaps, but that's awfully optimistic. I still remember many years ago at the exhibitors' screening of THE EMIGRANTS, Warners sent a dubbed print. One conversation went like this:

"Which way to Taylor's Hill?"
"Can't understand you, Mac."
"Speak English, Father."
"Ah. Which way to Taylor's Hill?"

Needless to say, everyone in the theatre cracked up. It went downhill from there, and nobody thought it would make a nickel. Of course, it turned out to be a big hit, because Warners wisely went with a subtitled version, thus eliminating such unwanted laughter. And frankly, anyone who doesn't want to "read" movies isn't going to like a film like PARASITE anyway.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ekelks