What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Mother (1996) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
rgMHyzOKXV9uCC3Cm7VXbCBEFsLX82_large.jpg
Reeling after his second divorce and struggling with writer’s block, sci-fi novelist John Henderson (Albert Brooks) resolves to figure out where his life went wrong, and hits on an unorthodox solution: moving back in with his relentlessly disapproving, cheerfully passive-aggressive mother (Debbie Reynolds), whose favorite son has always been John’s younger brother, Jeff (Rob Morrow). It’s an experiment that, however harebrained, delivers surprising results. Brooks’s film perfectly blends the writer-director-star’s biting wit with insight and inviting warmth, while giving him a formidable foil in the delightful Reynolds, triumphant in a comeback role that’s equal parts caustic and charming.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 104 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #1232

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by director Albert Brooks, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • New interview with Brooks
    • New interview with actor Rob Morrow
    • Teaser directed by Brooks
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Carrie Rickey

New cover based on an original theatrical poster

August 27, 2024

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My favorite Albert Brooks film.

There are two kinds of viewers for this film: those who can’t possibly conceive of anything like this ever happening and think of it as an implausible flight of fancy, and those who have had these exact same conversations with their family matriarchs. I am in the latter group :D

For me this might be the most quotable film I’ve ever seen. If I get started I won’t be able to stop!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
My favorite Albert Brooks film.

There are two kinds of viewers for this film: those who can’t possibly conceive of anything like this ever happening and think of it as an implausible flight of fancy, and those who have had these exact same conversations with their family matriarchs. I am in the latter group :D

For me this might be the most quotable film I’ve ever seen. If I get started I won’t be able to stop!
I remember when this film came out, I had gone through a divorce a few years before, and went upstate to visit my mom. So much of what happened in the film was exactly the same, including that scene in the Gap, which was almost word for word. I wondered whether Albert Brooks was there and taking notes, unbeknownst to me!

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
Really pleased to hear that this is getting a physical release. This is a film I recently discovered digitally through Amazon along with Real Life and The Muse. I discovered Albert Brooks last year when I stumbled across the Criterion release of Defending Your Life and was intrigued enough about the concept to buy it. Lost in America and Modern Romance soon followed after that.

Everything this guy made should be released. If they released a box set, I would slam my money down for it straight away. These films are brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jls
Recent bookmarks