What's new

Criterion Press Release: Memories of Murder (2003) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
9TF7mC8JIa3R4aydFgNW5pcNpwv1wz_large.jpg

In his breakthrough second feature, Bong Joon Ho explodes the conventions of the policier with thrillingly subversive, genre-defying results. Based on the true story of a string of serial killings that rocked a rural community in the 1980s, Memories of Murder stars New Korean Cinema icon Song Kang Ho as the local officer who reluctantly joins forces with a seasoned Seoul detective (Kim Sang Kyung) to investigate the crimes—leading each man on a wrenching, yearslong odyssey of failure and frustration that will drive him to the existential edge. Combining a gripping procedural with a vivid social portrait of the everyday absurdity of life under military rule, Bong fashions a haunting journey into ever-deepening darkness that begins as a black-comic satire and ends as a soul-shattering encounter with the abyss.
FILM INFO

Bong Joon Ho
South Korea
131 minutes
Color
1.85:1
Korean
Spine #1073
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

New 4K digital restoration, supervised by cinematographer Kim Hyung Ku and approved by director Bong Joon Ho, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Two 2009 commentaries featuring Bong and members of the cast and crew, plus a new commentary featuring critic Tony Rayns
New program featuring filmmaker Guillermo del Toro
New interview with Bong about the real-life serial killer who inspired the film
Documentary from 2004 on the making of the film
Deleted scenes, with optional audio commentary by Bong
New program about the use of sound in Bong’s work, featuring film scholar Jeff Smith
Incoherence, a 1994 student film by Bong, with a new introduction by the director
Teaser, trailer, and TV spot
PLUS: An essay by critic and novelist Ed Park

New cover by Greg Ruth

April 20, 2021

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This film was discussed in one of the special features on the Criterion Blu-ray of Parasite :cool:.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I loved Parasite, so I'm strongly considering a blind buy on this one. Might wait until a 50% off sale though.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Joon Ho is an amazing filmmaker. I first ran across his work with THE HOST, which, while having occasionally spotty CGI work, was awesome and had a solid eco message and a strong emotional core. SNOWPIERCER is a grand action adventure. PARASITE is about as good as it gets. I have MOTHER on DVD and am a bit more ambivalent about it. Haven't seen BARKING DOGS NEVER BITE or TOKYO, but look forward to them. I own a DVD of MEMORIES OF MURDER and, I can tell you, it's dynamite -- can't wait for the Criterion Blu. Now, if Netflix will get off its proprietary ass and license a few more of their productions to Criterion, perhaps one day we can get OKJA on Blu as well.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Joon Ho is an amazing filmmaker. I first ran across his work with THE HOST, which, while having occasionally spotty CGI work, was awesome and had a solid eco message and a strong emotional core. SNOWPIERCER is a grand action adventure. PARASITE is about as good as it gets. I have MOTHER on DVD and am a bit more ambivalent about it. Haven't seen BARKING DOGS NEVER BITE or TOKYO, but look forward to them. I own a DVD of MEMORIES OF MURDER and, I can tell you, it's dynamite -- can't wait for the Criterion Blu. Now, if Netflix will get off its proprietary ass and license a few more of their productions to Criterion, perhaps one day we can get OKJA on Blu as well.
Barking Dogs Never Bite was available to watch on TubiTV (with commercials every 10 minutes - no edits AFAIK for language or violence)
1610965769972.png

I appears to be on Hulu and for purchase on Netflix, Amazon and Vudu.

If you recognize the film as "black comedy", and heed the warning at the beginning of the film "No dogs were harmed in the making of this film" you will probably enjoy the film more and see it's parallels to Parasite are fairly clear.

There are even elements of O.Henry - just sayin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigMoe