1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Matewan (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    PMF and JohnMor like this.
  2. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I have some friends in the film, since they shot it here in WV, close to where the actual events happened. Sadly, the Mine Wars aren't really taught in schools here any longer. It's briefly covered in the WV History class that all 8th graders have to take, but isn't really given the importance that it should. Heck, I'd say that a good many people here under the age of 40 may not even know about it, even though many of those whose families worked in the mines probably either had a family member who was involved or at least know someone who had a family member affected by it. It was a terrible time in our state's history.

Thurmond, the town where Matewan was filmed, is now a National Historic Site.

gruagach likes this.
  3. Message #23 of 25 Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Excellent news!!! It will be fantastic to see this underrated, all but forgotten film in high def. I've seen Matewan a couple of times over the years; once on the old POS pan & scan DVD, and later on a much better Anamorphic Widescreen DVD; I think all of these are now OOP.

This is one of Sayles' best films (though I think all of his movies are great), and sheds a light on events that I had previously been completely unaware of. Great attention to detail here re: the the recreation of the early 1900's era. Very disturbing story, especially given that it was all based on fact.

Note that the film stars Will Oldham as the young preacher; much later, he was also in the great indie film Old Joy (2006).

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick