What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Love Affair (1939) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
7nbQ6Ge1FXD35rC2nuKNyEk1Lnlxok_large.jpg

Golden-age Hollywood’s humanist master Leo McCarey brings his graceful touch and relaxed naturalism to this sublime romance, one of cinema’s most intoxicating tear-wringers. Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer are chic strangers who meet and fall in love aboard an ocean liner bound for New York. Though they are both involved with other people, they make a pact to reconnect six months later at the top of the Empire State Building—until the hand of fate throws their star-crossed affair tragically off course. Swooning passion and gentle comedy coexist in perfect harmony in the exquisitely tender Love Affair (nominated for six Oscars), a story so timeless that it has been remade by multiple filmmakers over the years—including McCarey himself, who updated it as the equally beloved An Affair to Remember.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 88 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 1.37:1
  • English
  • Spine #1114

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration by The Museum of Modern Art and Lobster Films, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with film critic Farran Smith Nehme about the movie’s complicated production history
  • New interview with Serge Bromberg, founder of Lobster Films, about the restoration
  • Two radio adaptations, featuring Irene Dunne, William Powell, and Charles Boyer
  • Two shorts directed by Leo McCarey, both starring silent comedian Charley Chase: Looking for Sally (1925) and Mighty Like a Moose (1926)
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by author Megan McGurk

New cover by Raphael Geroni

February 15, 2022

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Last week I almost pulled the trigger on the Lobster release, but a quiet, plaintive voice in the back of my head, said, "Wait. I have a funny feeling Criterion has licensed this." To which I replied, "Maybe, but Criterion always takes a decade to release stuff after they license it." To which that voice replied, "Wait and see." And here it is.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this disc yesterday. I'm very grateful to Lobster Films and the MOMA for restoring this. I think RAH will accept my use of restoration in this instance. I agree with Thomas T in Post 5 about preferring An Affair To Remember and I'll re-watch that in the next few days.

Irene Dunne is an actress I admire far more than I like, and her singing in this film reduces the movie for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks