What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Criteriion is doing away with it's dual-format releases ... as the stock runs out they are (re-)releasing then as separate bluray or DVD sets. (They did do a special deal with Wal*Mart with a DVD only release of It's A Hard Day's Night ...A bluray only version of that film was included in a set they created for Costco and later sold on their site)

Old sticker (cover)
91-KYuH3x6L._SL1500_.jpg

New Sticker (same basic cover)
3687181.jpg

The sticker is part of the shrink wrap ...

I suspect that's why they had a number of Criterion titles on sale at deepdiscount.com to eliminate some of the dual version inventory ...
Due to the awful packaging IAMMMW had (the copy of the roadshow cut was permanently damaged out of the box for me!), going single format was long overdue.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Two things I noticed that I had missed before.

Sylvester’s girlfriend was married.
Monica (Edie Adams) tore her skirt twice. In the hanger( added scene) and later climbing into the plane. Obviously a tiny oversight.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also the Blu Ray looked pretty good projected on the big screen. However the added scenes obviously not so much. Also it was a bit dark as Paul and I commented on.

But overall it was acceptable I thought.

Funny thing Paul said is that he thought Mad World would look terrific in 3D!:3dglasses:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Because of this thread, I watched it again.

It was interesting, to me, in how they cut seconds off scenes here and there to get the run time down, but also very intriguing in that they cut whole scenes and parts of scenes that actually advance the story.

For example, one scene cut from the general Release was where Milton, Ethel, and the rest cram into the tow truck. The general Release doesn’t show that. Curious why they would sometimes cut important pieces.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Because of this thread, I watched it again.

It was interesting, to me, in how they cut seconds off scenes here and there to get the run time down, but also very intriguing in that they cut whole scenes and parts of scenes that actually advance the story.

For example, one scene cut from the general Release was where Milton, Ethel, and the rest cram into the tow truck. The general Release doesn’t show that. Curious why they would sometimes cut important pieces.

Another example is the scene showing Mike Mazurki strong-arming Phil Silvers into driving him home. Without it, Silvers is inexplicably altruistic and out-of-character.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
That's the scene were the guy breaks Otto's steering wheel, that's in both releases.

Are you sure about that? I seem to recall that in the general version you see Silvers pulling over for Mazurki and then the film cutting to some other scene. I could be wrong though.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
No it’s not.

Are you sure?

Mike Mazurki scene beings with him flagging down Phil Silvers. Mike had gone to some medicine for his sick wife.

Otto Meyer:
So, what's wrong with your wife?

Miner:
That's the trouble, the doc's not sure. He says whatever it is, she's too sick even to be moved. She needs this special stuff and we haven't got a phone so I went to get it and that's when... Slow down, the turning is just up here.

Otto Meyer:
Turning? You mean it's off the road?

Miner:
Only a mile.

Otto Meyer:
Now look, Pal, I'm in a hurry...

Miner:
HOLD IT! Stop the car. Now listen, buddy, I'm sorry about your problems. But the doc said to hurry and this is my wife. Now come on, we turn right here.

Otto Meyer:
But there isn't even a road...

Miner:
LISTEN! Don't force me to get rough! (Breaks Otto's steering wheel off in his fit of anger)

Miner:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bust up your car.

Otto Meyer:
That's alright. You say it's a mile? Heck, a mile ain't asking too much.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Are you sure?

Mike Mazurki scene beings with him flagging down Phil Silvers. Mike had gone to some medicine for his sick wife.

Otto Meyer:
So, what's wrong with your wife?

Miner:
That's the trouble, the doc's not sure. He says whatever it is, she's too sick even to be moved. She needs this special stuff and we haven't got a phone so I went to get it and that's when... Slow down, the turning is just up here.

Otto Meyer:
Turning? You mean it's off the road?

Miner:
Only a mile.

Otto Meyer:
Now look, Pal, I'm in a hurry...

Miner:
HOLD IT! Stop the car. Now listen, buddy, I'm sorry about your problems. But the doc said to hurry and this is my wife. Now come on, we turn right here.

Otto Meyer:
But there isn't even a road...

Miner:
LISTEN! Don't force me to get rough! (Breaks Otto's steering wheel off in his fit of anger)

Miner:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bust up your car.

Otto Meyer:
That's alright. You say it's a mile? Heck, a mile ain't asking too much.
Yes. That’s not in the general release version. Only the extended cut.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Two things I noticed that I had missed before.

Sylvester’s girlfriend was married.

Monica (Edie Adams) tore her skirt twice. In the hanger( added scene) and later climbing into the plane. Obviously a tiny oversight.

Considering the Production Code was still in force in 1963, probably a couple items the censors didn’t want revealed.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris, I just watched your restoration masterpiece again, and I wanted to thank you for your hard work!

I wanted to ask you a question: there were a few scenes with audio but no video. Were any of these scenes damaged beyond repair, or just plain missing?

Thanks!

No longer extant

Longdist01

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Enjoyed watching both cuts of film this holiday weekend, thank you Robert Harris for your work on this Restoration and Criterion release from 2014!

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks