What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
A moment to cherish. :wub:

It arrived just minutes ago.

Now to finally experience the fun and enjoyment of this amazing disc.
iammmmw cover.jpg

Doug.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Sleeve City (sleevecityusa.com) sells a product called Diskeeper Anti-Static Round Bottom CD/DVD Sleeves, which come 100 to the pack for $5.99, roughly 6 cents apiece. I can vouch for 'em, mine worked perfectly. The round bottoms allow the discs to slide into the foldout slots with ease.

According to the website: "...this antistatic CD sleeve is made from 100% virgin high density 2 mil soft polyethylene, frosted and flush cut. Ultrasoft plastic won't scratch delicate CD/DVDs. Measures 5"x5".

Thanks Mike/Carl -- this will also come in handy for those who also own the Laurel and Hardy Essential Collection set as well.

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
I ran this for myself a few nights ago - what a wonderful cinematic experience this new Criterion edition is! So having seen it multiple times in 70mm at the Cinerama Dome on the big curved 90 foot screen, I decided to process several scenes for the SmileBox format for my home screen and WOW I was fully transported back to November of 1963 for the original Cinerama showings. All the aerials and action shots have that Cinerama thrill, you are there, feeling to them. Such a treat!

Next stop Khartoum!

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I'm wondering if this Blu-ray is available in any stores yet. I just checked the websites for my two local Best Buy stores (Manhattan) and neither one seems to carry it. I will check my local FYE when I get home. But beyond that, I can't think of any other options. No Tower, No Virgin, No Kim's, etc.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Vic Pardo said:
I'm wondering if this Blu-ray is available in any stores yet. I just checked the websites for my two local Best Buy stores (Manhattan) and neither one seems to carry it. I will check my local FYE when I get home. But beyond that, I can't think of any other options. No Tower, No Virgin, No Kim's, etc.
Barnes and Noble and Amazon?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
No store is selling this Blu-Ray in Vancouver, the city that hosted the 2010 Olympics, either. Videomatica, the specialty video retailer where I do all of my special ordering, didn't even get "Thief" until last Friday. They tell me that there's a problem with the distributor of Criterion titles in Canada. It's a far cry from ten years ago, when I could stroll into any of three large video/music retailers downtown on a Tuesday and scoop up all of the new releases, and at competitive prices, too. In 2014, there isn't a single such retailer in downtown Vancouver, though there's lots of places to get cell phones. Am I unique in wanting to hand my money over to a fellow human being? Just because I could live in a shack somewhere in the wilderness and accept deliveries from Amazon doesn't mean I'm going to.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Videomatica is the one reliable store for ordering Blu-Rays and DVD's in Vancouver. The only other option is HMV, which still has a few mall stores in the outlying areas, but they are very hit-and-miss. I asked them to order me a James Dean box set before Hallowe'en, I bought one at Videomatica a few weeks later and cancelled the HMV special order, and then I got a call from HMV in mid-January that they had my 2 James Dean Blu-Ray box sets ready for pick-up. A few times a year I empty my Amazon.ca cart, so it's not a matter of avoiding online transactions altogether. It's just that I remember the pleasure of walking into a store that is full of things I like, and I'd like to support those retailers that can still give me that pleasure.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
So I looked it up on what I thought was the site for the Barnes & Noble location within walking distance of my office (5th Ave. and 46th St.) and it said $36.27 for this Blu-ray, only about $6 more expensive than if I ordered it from Amazon. So I went to the store. It took some digging to find it (I almost gave up--why would they hide a new release like this?) and the price was $49.99, $20 more than Amazon's price. So I'll order it from Amazon instead.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
davidmatychuk said:
They tell me that there's a problem with the distributor of Criterion titles in Canada.
Criterion recently signed a deal with Phase 4, who will be their new Canadian distributor, so I imagine that this it the problem they were talking about.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I had the Criterion set since January 21 but only today found the time to watch the extended version. Thank you Mr. Harris, a standing ovation from this Mad World fan. The biggest surprise for me is the the surround sound from the original 6 tracks mag reels. This original multi-channel audio is spot on, finally making this a real "road show" presentation with a surround mix that kicks it (no pun intended).

Carl LaFong

Agent
Real Name
Mike Fontanelli
Brian McP said:
Sleeve City (sleevecityusa.com) sells a product called Diskeeper Anti-Static Round Bottom CD/DVD Sleeves, which come 100 to the pack for $5.99, roughly 6 cents apiece. I can vouch for 'em, mine worked perfectly. The round bottoms allow the discs to slide into the foldout slots with ease.

According to the website: "...this antistatic CD sleeve is made from 100% virgin high density 2 mil soft polyethylene, frosted and flush cut. Ultrasoft plastic won't scratch delicate CD/DVDs. Measures 5"x5".

Thanks Mike/Carl -- this will also come in handy for those who also own the Laurel and Hardy Essential Collection set as well.
Brian, I tried it myself already and it didn't work out. The slots in the Essential L&H set are smaller and the space is much, much tighter.

The L&H set is absolutely essential, of course -- I couldn't imagine owning a film library without it -- but I keep the discs in separate storage cases for safety sake. Hopefully they'll release a definitive L&H set on blu-ray -- including the silent classics this time, and with better packaging.

(BTW, worst packaging I've ever seen: both CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU? sets. Almost guaranteed to destroy the discs. You'll have to see 'em to believe 'em. Good grief!)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Here's the email message I sent to the Best Buy near my office:
I'm looking to pick up--in person--the new Criterion Blu-ray of IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD MAD WORLD. Do you have it in stock there? If so, what's the cost?

Thanks.
Here's their response:
Hello,

The Blu-ray movie you are inquiring about is only available through the Bestbuy.com website and the current price is $14.99. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Sales Support Manager
$14.99?! That would be amazing--if it were true!

I tried to find this Blu-ray on their website to see what price is actually given, but it's not there at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks