What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
And Mr. W, in the bowels of FotoKem with large format optical expert Vince Roth...

Ted.JPG

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
What a great announcement to come home to!It has been a 10 year wait, but the wait was finally all worth it. This is the easiest Day One purchase I've had in quite a while!I look forward to seeing the 197-minute reconstruction, but I also look forward to delving into this treasure trove of extras come January 21st. This is the version we have always dreamed about and finally, we will have it.A special thank you to Ron for bringing the situation of the film's fate up to our attention over a decade ago, and an even more special thank you to Robert A. Harris for sticking with this through the end. I'm sure your efforts were worth it, and from the sound of the press release and everything included here, I have no doubt in my mind that that is the case. What a fabulous end to a fabulous day!Now off to share this joyous and wonderful new on my Facebook! :)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mr. W. - thank you for the background. It was fascinating and I look forward further insights and discussion.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks to Moe for the detailed write-up on his visit (which, after reading and digesting the dire details, I feel a bit faint), and to Messrs. BK and RAH for the photos.

But don't stop now. More, please! :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Fabulous, fantastic, fantabulous and finally. Would love to buy it day one but after discounts it will probably be less then 25 at BN so that will work for me.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
One thing I think I forgot to go into is the correction of the rectified footage. That was achieved by using a global warp filter that would essentially cancel out all the rectification and bring the image back to its true proportions. That on its own is a huge deal of you remember all the weird panning shots on the LD...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Thanks everyone, I just feel fortunate to have been asked to bear witness to the incredible long hours that Mr. Harris and the team at FotoKem and Criterion as led by the indefatigable Karen Stetler who is the producer of this release. And even as we speak work continues to get this ready for January...

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
As usual, I'm confused.R.E. said everything that's on the laserdisc will be on this, with one insignificant exception.It's been said in various HTF threads on this movie over the years, time and time again, that the laserdisc included deleted scenes, outtakes, alternate takes, etc., that were never part of the original release. Mr. Haines made a big point of this, for instance. Isn't that true?If it is true, then I'm assuming those weren't put in the movie, but there should be an extra "deleted scenes" feature; however, the announcement doesn't mention such a thing.

See, I can never be 100% happy or satisfied, but right now I'm about 95% happy, which is close to a record for me.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
BLIND buy for me and I can't wait! I originally passed on the MGM BLU only because Id never seen this film ever in my life. I've always been interested in it but I think as fate would have it my first viewing will be from the Criterion Collection. In my lifetime (I'm 35) I've been very lucky to see films in the HD format. Younger generations don't have any clue what livng thru VHS was like! I still remember skipping school back when the restored Vertigo VHS was released and just maybe a year later buying the laserdisc. It is just nice how technology properly used has rescued films to heights that for home viewing can experience close to seeing a film print as possible. (Correct calibration helps)This will be day one purchase for me as well. I'm sure Amazon preorders will be approx 30% off retail once they are posted. The price will be a steal. I think I paid 79.99 for my Vertigo laserdisc back in the late 90's. :) from what I've read IaMMMMW will be a well organized special edition set besting the classic LD box set. :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Joe,I am merely guessing here but I think there may be cases of incorrect alternate takes on the laser being replaced with correct takes here, that would mean the scene itself is still in the film just the right take so that's a change but not a removal.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Don't get rid of your MGM Blu discs, and pick one up if you don't have it. It appears the wonderful hour long "Something A Little Less Serious" documentary isn't on the new release. It's worth the $10 cost of the Blu to own

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Although not able to make it to FotoKem (he was working on a pilot), I did get to spend some time with HTF ace-reviewer, Kevin Koster:

Attachments

• KK.JPG
    KK.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 64

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Ronald Epstein said:
I also know there were many more people
outside of Criterion that need to be thanked as well.
No Appologies nessecary, Ronald!

I am sure that everyone will be properly thanked in the Booklet, as they usually do.

I am extremely excited; sad that "Something a Little Less Serious" won't be there, so i guess I will hand on to my MGM Blu Ray, for that alone.

Like many of you, I nerded out sooooo much when i read the news.

Many thanks Robert Harris, Ronald Epstein (for doing your best to keep us all calm), and Criterion!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks