What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
4YMRFQ7m2Ke3clLo9p4pUi5Nw1jxE5_large.jpg

Suffused with intoxicating romanticism, History Is Made at Night is a sublime paean to love from Frank Borzage, classic Hollywood’s supreme poet of carnal and spiritual desire. On the run through Europe from her wealthy, cruelly possessive husband, an American (Jean Arthur) is thrown together by fate with a suave stranger (Charles Boyer)—and soon the two are bound in a consuming, seemingly impossible affair that stretches across continents and brings them to the very edge of catastrophe. Lent a palpable erotic charge by the chemistry between its leads, this delirious vision of lovers beset by the world passes through a dizzying array of tonal shifts—from melodrama to romantic comedy to noir to disaster thriller—smoothly guided by Borzage’s unwavering allegiance to the power of love.
FILM INFO

Frank Borzage
United States
97 minutes
Black & White
1.37:1
English
Spine #1072
SPECIAL FEATURES

New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New conversation between author Hervé Dumont (Frank Borzage: The Life and Films of a Hollywood Romantic) and film historian Peter Cowie
Interview from 2019 with critic Farran Smith Nehme about director Frank Borzage’s obsession with romantic love
Audio excerpts of a 1958 interview with Borzage from the collection of the George Eastman Museum
Radio adaptation of the film from 1940, broadcast by The Screen Guild Theater and starring Charles Boyer
New program about the restoration
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
PLUS: An essay by critic Dan Callahan

New cover by Abigail Giuseppe

April 13, 2021

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A Frank Borzage release is a no-brainer purchase. Now, if only Criterion could bring us to “7th Heaven”.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A Frank Borzage release is a no-brainer purchase. Now, if only Criterion could bring us to “7th Heaven”.
A Fox film? Fortunately I bought the Borzage/Murnau DVD box. I don't think we'll get anything better than that from the mouse.

Reactions: PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Borzage is a forgotten master who is now being reassessed. That's good news. This is one of his masterpieces. Of course, Jean Arthur helps.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
A release I didn't expect to happen, but am thrilled to hear is about to become reality. Amazing how many of my favorite Jean Arthur movies have made it to Blu-Ray. I believe this will be my 9th Jean Arthur Blu-Ray (And I'm missing at least one, since I don't own Shane).

I wonder when/if the two huge absences will make it ('The Talk of the Town' and 'The More the Merrier'). And there's still several other less well known classics just as good as this one, such as 'Too Many Husbands' for one of my personal favorites.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Too bad Blockbuster isn't around anymore as from the cover art alone it would be worth renting first before buying.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I would LOVE a Criterion SEVENTH HEAVEN. I have it in a very good French edition; being silent, that’s ok, but all the bonus materials and the booklet are in French. :/

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would LOVE a Criterion SEVENTH HEAVEN. I have it in a very good French edition; being silent, that’s ok, but all the bonus materials and the booklet are in French. :/
In this era of the Stay-at-Home pandemic, there are many creative opportunities before us.

You have inspired me to try a Rosetta Stone program.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
A release I didn't expect to happen, but am thrilled to hear is about to become reality. Amazing how many of my favorite Jean Arthur movies have made it to Blu-Ray. I believe this will be my 9th Jean Arthur Blu-Ray (And I'm missing at least one, since I don't own Shane).

I wonder when/if the two huge absences will make it ('The Talk of the Town' and 'The More the Merrier'). And there's still several other less well known classics just as good as this one, such as 'Too Many Husbands' for one of my personal favorites.
I believe Criterion also has The Talk of the Town as part of their Cary Grant deal with Columbia/Sony. With the number and varying genres of Columbia/Sony classics Criterion has brought to blu-ray, you’d think The More the Merrier would be coming along at some point. We shall see!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I believe Criterion also has The Talk of the Town as part of their Cary Grant deal with Columbia/Sony. With the number and varying genres of Columbia/Sony classics Criterion has brought to blu-ray, you’d think The More the Merrier would be coming along at some point. We shall see!
I need both of those titles! would love to see Criterion release them.

I saw them both for the first time back during my marathon, and I liked them both. They were fun.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The More the Merrier is an interesting case. I have the Columbia Laser Disc of this(in fact, my first LD was a wartime Columbia film(A Night to Remember, 1942 w/Brian Aherne). This Jean Arthur film is a lot of fun and I got to like Charles Coborn after this. The LD used a very unrestored print and the soundtrack was very noisy and gritty. The DVD was like a breath of fresh air with the clean up for that release. A Blu Ray will be, or should be, miles better.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
A wonderful film that throws everything in it including the kitchen sink. Kind of like Zoo in Budapest. I could have done though without the thumb/index finger mouths which is a bad moment.

DonB34

Agent
Real Name
Donald

"If You Could Only Cook" is one of my all-time favorite screwball comedies. Would love to see that one get released on blu-ray.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
People rarely discuss The Devil and Miss Jones. One of my favorites. I saw it at MOMA many years ago with a large audience that including me wasn't familiar with it. At the end you could feel the happiness all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merrickw