What's new

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
This Criterion release is obviously being marketed as kind of a tribute to Raoul Walsh too so it makes sense to have Colorado Territory as the Bonus movie and not I Died a Thousand Times.

• Colorado Territory, director Raoul Walsh’s 1949 western remake of High Sierra
  • New conversation on Walsh between film programmer Dave Kehr and critic Farran Smith Nehme
  • The True Adventures of Raoul Walsh, a 2019 documentary by Marilyn Ann Moss
  • Curtains for Roy Earle, a 2003 featurette on the making of High Sierra
I totally get that, Robert. It just disturbs me that Colorado Territory is relegated to bonus material instead of it's own blu ray. To me, it's like a blu ray of Vertigo having Notorious as part of its bonus features. If Criterion had made it a double feature with both High Sierra and Colorado Territory getting equal attention on both the front and back jacket as well as both films getting billed on its spine, I'd have no problem. Hey, we all have our little peccadilloes and that's one of mine :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I totally get that, Robert. It just disturbs me that Colorado Territory is relegated to bonus material instead of it's own blu ray. To me, it's like a blu ray of Vertigo having Notorious as part of its bonus features. If Criterion had made it a double feature with both High Sierra and Colorado Territory getting equal attention on both the front and back jacket as well as both films getting billed on its spine, I'd have no problem. Hey, we all have our little peccadilloes and that's one of mine :D
Hell, I'm just happy Colorado Territory is going to be in 1080p as I never expected that to be released on BD with Warner concentrating more on musicals than any other genre.:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
After reading all the comments, it sounds like this disc is absolutely a blind purchase essential.

Will wait for a discount when Criterion does one of its splash sales

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
After reading all the comments, it sounds like this disc is absolutely a blind purchase essential.

Will wait for a discount when Criterion does one of its splash sales
Most definitely, if this release wasn't coming out just a few weeks ahead of the November B&N sale, I would've been tempted to purchase it before such a sale. That's how much I appreciate both movies on this BD release.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I think to what Robert was saying, putting the extra film on the disc is a viable way to bring a title that would sell far less to disc in a higher quality presentation than it might otherwise have gotten.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
With His Girl Friday/The Front Page, I ended up printing up a custom cover and putting TFP into it's own case.

That option is available for High Sierra/Colorado Territory

Bartman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Good choice, Criterion. I've only seen the DVD and it's on my list to see in HD!

RobertMG

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Can we say that the demise of physical media is not happening just yet PRAISE the Lord and KIno, Criterion, SHOUT, VCI, CLASSIC FLIX, Bob Furmanek, MPI, Paramount to name a few! C'mon OLIVE step up your game too!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They’re connected, in a way. Physical media, particularly for catalog titles, has transitioned from a mainstream commodity to a niche industry. And as a result of declining sales potentials, major studios are now willing to do what they weren’t at the height of physical media’s sales peak, which is license their titles to boutique labels that make products aimed more at collectors than the mass market. If physical media sales were still what they were ten or twenty years ago, there’s little chance Warner would have licensed out High Sierra. In today’s environment, they’re now willing to.

Derrick King

Supporting Actor
A member of the Criterion Forum emailed Criterion about Colorado Territory's transfer and posted their response:
I'm happy to share the following notes about COLORADO TERRITORY from our producers of the upcoming HIGH SIERRA release:

This unrestored 4K scan of Raoul Walsh’s long unavailable Colorado Territory (1949) was made from the 35 mm original camera negative, which is housed at the Library of Congress. Visible damage, jump cuts, black frames, and dirt remain.

While we were fortunate to get access to the film's original negative, some issues do remain as noted. The colors and details, however, are gorgeous, and we hope you can enjoy this release.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
A member of the Criterion Forum emailed Criterion about Colorado Territory's transfer and posted their response:
This is very strange as I just heard George Feltenstein conversation with Dick Dinman about the Bluray release of Objective, Burma and in it he expressly states that the transfer used by Criterion for Colorado Territory is a full 4k restoration, having the same treatment as High Sierra.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
This is very strange as I just heard George Feltenstein conversation with Dick Dinman about the Bluray release of Objective, Burma and in it he expressly states that the transfer used by Criterion for Colorado Territory is a full 4k restoration, having the same treatment as High Sierra.
Do you have a link to that Dinman/Feltenstein conversation?

Santee7

Grip
Real Name
kirk
I asked this in a Warner Archive section, but thought I'd try here as well. Is there any word anywhere of a possible blu ray of Angels with Dirty Faces or the other Walsh Classic, Roaring Twenties? I'm shocked they have not gotten the blu ray treatment yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrebourbeau
Recent bookmarks