1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    r6jMm8TJwfxzntIo63jl208R8pfXcA_large.
    With this trailblazing musical, writer-director-star John Cameron Mitchell and composer-lyricist Stephen Trask brought their signature creation from stage to screen for a movie as unclassifiable as its protagonist. Raised a boy in East Berlin, Hedwig (Mitchell) undergoes a traumatic personal transformation in order to emigrate to the U.S., where she reinvents herself as an “internationally ignored” but divinely talented rock diva, characterized by Mitchell as a “beautiful gender of one.” The film tells Hedwig’s life story through her music, an eclectic collection of original punk anthems and power ballads by Trask, matching them with a freewheeling cinematic mosaic of music-video fantasies, animated interludes, and moments of bracing emotional realism. A hard-charging song cycle and a tender character study, Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a tribute to the transcendent power of rock and roll.

FILM INFO
    • John Cameron Mitchell
    • United States
    • 91 minutes
    • Color
    • 1.85:1
    • English
    • Spine #982

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
      • New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director John Cameron Mitchell and cinematographer Frank DeMarco, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
      • Audio commentary from 2001 featuring Mitchell and DeMarco
      • New conversation between members of the cast and crew, including Mitchell, DeMarco, composer and lyricist Stephen Trask, hairstylist and makeup artist Michael Potter, animator Emily Hubley, actor Miriam Shor, and visual consultant Miguel Villalobos
      • Whether You Like It or Not: The Story of Hedwig (2003), an eighty-five-minute documentary tracing the development of the project from its beginnings in a New York club to its theatrical premiere at the Sundance Film Festival
      • New conversation between Trask and rock critic David Fricke about the film’s soundtrack
      • From the Archives, a new program exploring Hedwig’s production and legacy through its memorabilia
      • Deleted scenes with commentary by Mitchell and DeMarco
      • Trailer
      • More!
      • PLUS: An essay by Stephanie Zacharek, along with, for the Blu-ray edition, production photos by Potter and costume designer Arianne Phillips, illustrations by Hubley, and excerpts from two of the films inspirations, Plato’s Symposium and The Gospel of Thomas
      Cover by Eric Skillman, based on a photo by Miguel Villalobos

June 25, 2019

2. Message #2 of 8 Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Definite purchase for me. Probably my favorite of the "nontraditional" musicals. It'll be interesting to see if it's included in the July Barnes & Noble 50 percent off sale.

4. KMR

KMR Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    I can't imagine why it wouldn't be included in the sale (assuming there is one... there had better be!). Every previous sale seems to have included the most recent releases. Take Ingmar Bergman's Cinema, for example--which was released during the last sale.

Very much looking forward to this!!

Peter Keller and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Last year, B&N even allowed discounted purchases for July and November's releases, too, even those at the end of the month which would have been pre-orders. So, I feel sure these will be available.

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Can't wait for this one! I became a fan of the material after attending a performance at the Ensemble Theatre in Cincinnati shortly before the film version came out. It completely floored me in the way that only a great theatrical production can. When the film was released, I went to see it twice, falling in love with the material all over again. This is a definite pick-up for me.

PMF and Peter Keller like this.
  7. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    If you're ordering through Amazon, I wouldn't have gummy bears on the same order ... ;)

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein