1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Heaven Can Wait (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 15, 2018.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    uzKXtRHxtwhrmH6gqKgFZFw8gXbnes_large.

Deceased turn-of-the-century playboy Henry Van Cleve (Don Ameche) presents himself to the outer offices of Hades, where he asks a bemused Satan for permission to enter through the gates of hell. Though the devil doubts that Henry’s sins qualify him for eternal damnation, Henry proceeds to recount a lifetime of wooing and pursuing women, his long, happy marriage to Martha (Gene Tierney) notwithstanding. Ernst Lubitsch’s Heaven Can Wait, nominated for Academy Awards for best picture and director, is an enduring classic that showcases his trademark blend of wit, urbanity, and grace.

FILM INFO
    • Ernst Lubitsch
    • United States
    • 112 minutes
    • Color
    • 1.37:1
    • English
    • Spine #291
    SPECIAL FEATURES
    • New 4K digital restoration by Twentieth Century Fox and the Academy Film Archive in collaboration with The Film Foundation, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack (Blu-ray); restored high-definition digital transfer (DVD)
    • Conversation from 2005 between film critics Molly Haskell and Andrew Sarris
    • Creativity with Bill Moyers: A Portrait of Samson Raphaelson (1982), a thirty-minute program exploring the screenwriter’s life and career
    • Audio seminar with Raphaelson and film critic Richard Corliss recorded at the Museum of Modern Art in 1977
    • Home recordings of director Ernst Lubitsch playing the piano
    • Trailer
    • PLUS: An essay by film scholar William Paul

August 21, 2018
    The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I am a little confused --- a natural state of being for me.

Wasn't this released within the past year or so by Criterion? Or, is there another movie with the same name (not mentioning the 1978 Warren Beatty film).

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The Warren Beatty Heaven Can Wait was a remake, not of this film, but of Here Comes Mr. Jordan which Criterion did release previously on Blu-ray and which I reviewed almost two years ago.

B-ROLL likes this.
  4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Oh, that's right. It was "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" that was released by Criterion.

So, this film, "Heaven Can Wait" is a completely different story?

Sorry for my ignorance on this issue. Many of these classics I am unfamiliar with.

I am guessing this is worth a blind purchase.

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, a completely different story and definitely worth a blind buy if you like romantic fantasies. It's based on a stage play.

ahollis likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I would wait for a Criterion sale as I'm not sure you'll like this one.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I'll take that advice, Crawdaddy.

Hope to watch GUN CRAZY tonight. I think you recommended that one.

8. lark144

lark144 Second Unit
    Supporter

mark gross
    Ron, I love this film, but based on what I know of your taste, I'm not sure if you would. It's very romantic, while simultaneously making fun of its own romantic leanings. Don Ameche is amazing in it. And Gene Tierney has never looked so beautiful. The film isn't so much about plot or even character, but rather the ways thing look and feel. It's set at the turn of the 20th Century, and the tone is simultaneously nostalgic and ironic. It's been one of my favorite films ever since I first saw it at the tender age of 17, so I have a long history with this film. It's hard to attempt to describe the experience of watching this film in words, because it's something that kind of flows through the mind and soul as the film unfolds--really funny and somewhat satirical and yet by the end, somehow poignant. What I especially like about this film is the way Lubitsch used Technicolor, so I'll probably wait for reviews before purchasing, though seeing that the Film Foundation was involved, I'm very hopeful about the quality of the HD master.

Brent Reid likes this.
  9. Trancas

Trancas Stunt Coordinator

Eric
    Watch the preview on Criterion's site. It's sort of goofy and sly.
    https://www.criterion.com/films/878-heaven-can-wait

10. bujaki

bujaki Cinematographer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I'm sure you, as did I, saw MoMA's astounding nitrate 3-strip Technicolor print. What a beauty, and how the color enhanced the charm of this lovely film.

lark144 likes this.
  11. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Finally.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    "Heaven Can Wait" is a period piece that is rather long at 112 minutes. I think the film might become boring to you. Even I have to be in a certain mood to watch it. I'm not saying it's a bad film because it's a very fine film, but it is a little slow despite its excellent cast and being in beautiful Technicolor. What I never understood is why Warren Beatty remade "Here Comes Mr. Jordan", but gives it the same title as this film? I think that confused a lot of people doing so.

13. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Supporting Actor

Finally Criterion is upgrading to Bluray the Fox classics it released on dvd.

"Young Mr. Lincoln" in January, now "Heaven Can Wait". Hopefully it will release "Unfaithfully Yours (that has a new 4k restoration) by the end of the year (I already have the Eureka "Pickup on South Street" edition).

14. lark144

lark144 Second Unit
    Supporter

mark gross
    Yes, that was pretty astounding, but even the Eastmancolor 35mm prints that were around in the 70's were pretty accurate. But yes, that nitrate print was a whole different experience, with an unfolding of pinks and lilacs and so many subtle yet complimentary shades, it was like a Degas pastel come to life. And that riot of complimentary colors was all about fixing the personality and presence of Gene Tierney in the mind of a viewer, as well as this belle epoch world that was merely a man's distant memory, enshrined in waves of pastel shades, fabric, and flowers.

bujaki likes this.